Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ll get roasted but here goes anyway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get yourself the keyfob. There I said it. I know the car was designed and sold to not need one, and when it works, the phone as a key is great, but as many of you have figured out with phone software updates, the phone doesn’t work as well as it once did as a key. It’s hit or miss. The app has to stay open for many. I got the keyfob 6 months ago and it’s flawless every single time. Yeah it’s 150 dollars, so it’s up to each person whether they find the value, but if you can afford a Tesla then you can afford 150 dollars. Purchase one. Not only is it a great conversation piece because it’s the best looking fob, but no more frustration with getting in the car.
Already did.

Reactions: Johnny Mac
You do know there's a keycard too? (for when the phone fails). I've seen some pretty creative conversions to make the keycard more "interesting".
The keycard would be more useful if it was better location aware, like a fob. Maybe I don’t feel like taking it out and tapping or swiping.

Fob is best but phone is very convenient (when it works)

I've never had an issue with my phone and I carry the card in my wallet. What I've found is that I never forget my wallet or phone anywhere. I used to lose one or the other quite often. Now I pay more attention to the need and I love having a car that won't move without my phone lol.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I bought a key fob early on when my bluetooth wasn’t always connecting and it was raining and leaving me annoyed standing in the rain waiting to get in my car (v1 without passive entry) and I still carry it with me. My new iPhone doesn’t seem to have any issues connecting to the car as a phone key but I do still sometimes use the fob for convenience when I may not want to be carrying my phone (ie doing things around the house) or if I need to leave the car for a carwash etc.

I do have my card key, and always carry in my purse as well, but have to remind myself if I use it to open the car (have Lock on Walk Away enabled) that I have to use it to lock my car then as Lock on Walk Away only works with the phone key.

1) I know my wife's cell # by heart
2) Home Depot let me use their phone to call her
3) Luckily, she picked up an unknown number, even though she was at work dealing w/ an emergency
4) She has the Tesla app
5) She started the car remotely
6) I ran back to the car in time & drove off

It pays to RTFM.

Don't you carry Tesla RF card that came with the car and store it in your wallet? If you had the card in your wallet, you could have easily swiped the card on driver's side pillar and drove home.

Peter

Mine worked flawlessly. But I switched from 3 to X. Now I have to carry this bulky thing (a Fob) in my pocket that often “butt click”. So I then had to but a cage to put around it to stop the butt clicking and made it even bulkier. I so miss the phone as key.