Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got my new Autopilot defeat device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, while on this topic I'll note one more thing: I wonder why ADAS designers, including Tesla, don't add near-IR diode emitters to enhance the exterior night vision of the vehicle. It would help in a number of scenarios, depending on the power level of the emitters, but even relatively low-power and unfocused IR LEDs would help a lot up to moderate distances. I suspect it would also help in wet and foggy conditions due to lower scatter, and I think that a version of IR always-on high beams could improve the car's forward distance vision when visible high beams can't be used.
I'm curious how law enforcement would react to this. What technology would be impacted by cars blasting IR outside their vehicles?

I don't disagree but I've also found the safeguards to be tedious and cumbersome when I'm actually paying attention and doing what I'm supposed to do.
There's a quote I vaguely remember but can't find right now, about what happens when you make it hard to do the right thing and easy to do the wrong thing.

IMHO the torque-based sensing with vision implementation trends this way.

I believe this is speculation. Someone should do an experiment. Hold head still and carefully (and safely) move the eyes off the target. I can't do that as I don't have FSD/Autopilot.
I just did the test. It works fine to spot only eye movement. You owe me a beer.

Here is the list of things that the camera reports, per greentheonly.

BLINDED, DARK, EYES_CLOSED, EYES_DOWN, EYES_NOMINAL, EYES_UP, HEAD_DOWN, HEAD_TRUNC, LOOKING_LEFT, LOOKING_RIGHT, PHONE_USE, SUNGLASSES_EYES_LIKELY_NOMINAL, and SUNGLASSES_LIKELY_EYES_DOWN.

I once saw a video of a guy who superimposed the computed probabilities for those states over the video, but I can't find it anywhere.

Edit: Oh. It was greentheonly on YouTube. Makes sense.

Hacking driver monitoring with a photo.
Data at night.

Last edited:
I wonder why ADAS designers, including Tesla, don't add near-IR diode emitters to enhance the exterior night vision of the vehicle
I have previously considered this too. I frequently get side camera "blocked" messages when driving on unlit rural roads at night. Since I have roof bars permanently mounted, I have actually considered mounting small side-pointing IR lights on a roof bar as an experiment.
and I think that a version of IR always-on high beams could improve the car's forward distance vision when visible high beams can't be used.
That is an amazingly awesome idea.
the above-mirror position of the cabin camera and IR LED
Are we sure such an IR LED actually exists? I can't see one anywhere in my 2023 Model 3.

It's too bad Tesla only uses the cabin camera as another way to "get you" for not paying attention without providing any other benefit. The other manufacturers are able to offer hands free driving if the cabin camera(s) determine you are paying attention.

It's too bad Tesla only uses the cabin camera as another way to "get you" for not paying attention without providing any other benefit.
That's a shallow view point. The patent document referenced in an earlier post gives some other details. It proposes to be able to tell if the driver is incapacitated from a medical emergency. One can then speculated that the car can mitigated an impending disaster.

That's a shallow view point. The patent document referenced in an earlier post gives some other details. It proposes to be able to tell if the driver is incapacitated from a medical emergency. One can then speculated that the car can mitigated an impending disaster.
Even if not that extreme - just reminding drivers to be vigilant is a good idea.

Infact Tesla should look into combining uncertainty, traffic conditions, VRU information and make sure the driver is attentive when things can go wrong.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Even if not that extreme - just reminding drivers to be vigilant is a good idea.

Infact Tesla should look into combining uncertainty, traffic conditions, VRU information and make sure the driver is attentive when things can go wrong.
I'm going to throw out a totally crazy idea...How about using it to *not* nag you if you are paying attention? I know it's silly, but think about it...

Reactions: Sideman7 and beatle
Okay, my point is the camera does nothing to improve the ADAS experience - it's still just a safety net for the system to operate with your hand on the wheel. The features should not be mutually exclusive.

I'm going to throw out a totally crazy idea...How about using it to *not* nag you if you are paying attention? I know it's silly, but think about it...
Tesla was almost there before this update. I hardly ever used to get nags.

Tesla should sell an accessory that you put on the wheel that detects hands. The issue is not hands on the wheel - but that Tesla can't actually detect hands, just torque.

Reactions: gtae07
No disagreement at all. Unfortunately not completely Tesla’s fault. From the start they did make every effort to minimize micro managing the driver with subtle safeties and with each day a new clown would publish a video or story on how to defend the rules or safety protocol. Add to those creative rule benders there is a line of anti Tesla followers (or competitors) jumping at the opportunity to report the dangerous loop holes to further gimp the progress and comfort of those that respect the rules.