I am getting frustrated and could use some input. I have owned 4 Tesla's over the years. I started with a Model S 60, then went to a Model S 75D, then to a Model 3 LR RWD, and then in September 2018 I got a Model X P100D (this was an inventory vehicle - I was told when I was buying it that it had MCU 2.0, but after taking delivery it seemed pretty sluggish and and the service center confirmed that it was one of the last off the line with the MCU 1.0 - March 2018 build). On the Model X, I have had both the 17" screen and MCU replaced already, but I continue to have issues. Voice Control works about 10% of the time. By work, I mean that when I hit the button it actually listens to me and works. The other 90% of the time I just get the spinning circle showing that it is trying to activate Voice Control but won't work and just keeps spinning or says "Try Again". The streaming radio service works, but I always have skipping or digitizing that happens when listening. If I am listening to music from my iPhone or the radio, no issues. Additionally, the screen can just be downright unresponsive taking multiple taps to get something to respond. This stuff happened before and after the MCU and screen replacement. I have taken my MX to the service center several times for these issue (hence the last time they replaced the MCU). However, I went to the service center yesterday because after I got 2019.8.3, I had so many software glitches that I was losing my patience. I had them all documented with video so that I could show the service center. I kid you not when I say this, but I was told yesterday by the service center that Tesla is like a start up software company and that these are all software issues that they are continuously working to resolve. As a long time owner, I can accept that there will be glitches and I am okay with that. But I never had consistent Voice Control issues or streaming music issues in any of my other Tesla's. I just want to know if am I alone with all of these issues and I have a bigger problem or is this truly something that all MX owners are experiencing right now? I really appreciate the feedback.