Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to vent - this car is going from bad to worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Elon will tell me I'm wrong

And I will also tell you, you are wrong. I am not a Tesla fan boy, but I am unabashed AP fan boy. For me AP is worth half the price of the car. Meaning without AP, I would be looking for a car half the price for the same range.

AP works great, you just need to take the time to understand its nuances, its strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like there is a post like this every few weeks, but I need to vent somewhere.

In the last few days, my $130k car has tried to crash at least once, tried to drift into concrete barriers multiple times, tried to drive into my garage door sills, brake-checked a car behind me multiple times, and lowered itself onto a parking barrier.

I've just about had it with this hot mess.

Specifics (and I'm curious if anyone else has seen these problems):
  • During late night drive, with autopilot engaged, I signaled to ask the car to change to the left lane. It started doing so, and about midway through, abruptly changed it mind, swerving dramatically back to the right, OVERSHOOTING my original lane and swinging to the rightmost lane. My hands were on wheel, and I caught it in time. Thankfully, no cars on either side of me, but this could have ended very badly.
  • On my daily stop-and-go commute there is a curving onramp. This is 5mph tops. The car will either slowly drift into the concrete barrier, or slowly drift into the other lane. The instrument display diagram shows that it knows it's putting the wheels over the lanes. I've seen other posts complaining about the same thing.
  • Summoning the car into my garage (which I do regularly), it decided to swerve to the left at the last second. I barely stopped it in time, with perhaps a quarter inch to spare.
  • Multiple times during busy commutes, the car will decide that it has to dramatically slow down (for absolutely no discernible reason - no overpasses, no signs, just car shadows), causing cars behind me to hit the brakes. I drive with my foot near the accelerator, so I've been able to speed out of those situations, but this is extremely dangerous behavior.
  • Yesterday after I came down to the parking lot, pull out of my stall, and hear a loud scraping sound. My car had decided to put itself into Jack Mode (I noticed the warning belatedly), and lowered itself onto the concrete parking barrier. Damage to the underside of my nose. This is what finally pissed me off enough to write this post.
I keep my hands on the wheel, my feet near the pedals, and I'm on high alert all the time, because I DON'T TRUST this car. I've filed a bug report for most of these incidents, but I have no confidence that any of it will be addressed. I mean, they can't even keep remember you had your radio muted after you hang up on a phone call, and that bug has been around for years.

If this were any other car, I'd suspect I had a lemon, and work with the company to get the problems resolved, but frankly, I don't know how to proceed here. Living in hope of a firmware fix was fun for a few months, but it's the wrong way for a company to treat its customers.

PS. this is my second Tesla, my third EV, and my 28th car. I knew what I was getting into when I put my MS order a year ago, but come on...

HI , Im only on my first tesla and I use autosteer and Tacc everyday and I have noticed that as I get a new update the car lt needs a little bit of time to " relearn" some roads (. but through 3 recent "dot" versions changes, .32. 36. now .40 the car had different variabilities that needed to be ironed. out. for me i'm at " smooth as silk:" and am ready for off ramp changing/selection , road signs and red green lights. it sounds like you might have a set of corrupted setting requiring a "clean" out and recalibration ( I don't work for tesla, but I do do control systems design) . definitely talk with the service center and tell them what it is doing. it sounds like either some sensors are wacky or badly calibrated And glitches in the present tracking settings. only a complete reboot/clean out will do, and a SW push and relearn( re cal time driving on roads you know) will help . These cars bring a new definition to the work " lemon" . I am surprised by the level of variability posters have after an OTA update with some experiencing great improvements, others not so much. me.. mine went from near perfect to, right lane hugging, then straightened its self out. hang in there. this is still new ground being trodden, just wait till all the other auto manufacturers start shipping level/ 2/3 systems, it will be an " interesting" ( yes a strange definition) time.

I disagree with your assessment due to your own statement of not having EAP. AP has many subtle quirks that only someone who uses it often can truly understand.
Yes, I don't have EAP, but that was a conscious decision based on over a week and 800 miles spent with an AP1 car, and then reading about the issues with AP2. I found AP1 quite acceptable for certain conditions and based on what I read, didn't feel AP2 would provide the same reliability. I used that assessment as a data point to the OP that AP behavior can be somewhat unpredictable, especially for AP2/EAP, which it turns out is what he has. I don't see what there is to disagree on but you are entitled to your opinion...

Last edited:
It's an AP2 - I ordered after I saw the AP2 self-driving videos, cuz I'm an idiot. I did a lot of research, which all concluded "don't believe Elon". Like I said, I knew what I was getting into. I still think I have the right to be angry about paying $5k for buggy functionality.

No, I don't agree you're an idiot. Its 10/25/17 as I write this, and if you had asked me in Dec of last year "will they have AP2 working far better than AP1 by next Oct?" I would have answered "Yes, absolutely." Clearly I would have been wrong, and I'd have been bitterly complaining. I have AP1, and we are all in the same boat - MobileEye upgrades gone - uncertain if our AP1 will ever get better. I have said it before - I wish I'd just kept my 2013 Model S. I'd have thousands in the bank and a great car, and I could still trade it when the first manufacturer actually produces a car that will let you read a book while the car takes you where you want to go. You believed the marketing hype, as I did, and a lot of others as well. We are not idiots.

And all of this is why I'm not going to order EAP on that new 75D I'm thinking of buying...

That can wait until EAP becomes evolved enough to pull its own head out of its own butt. :confused:

Srsly, why would anyone pay $5000 for the thrill of their car occasionally trying to kill or injure them?

You could just drive really badly yourself for free. :p

I feel for you. AP2 was nothing but a giant scam. It's still not as good as AP1, and probably never will be. Tesla lied to us early AP2 purchasers. I would have never purchased the car had I known that AP2 would be a huge regression from AP1. I could have easily waited or purchased a CPO AP1 car at a > $50k discount. Instead I paid more, and got less.

Mind blowing that over 1 year later we still don't have parity with AP1, let alone anything "enhanced", or anything remotely to the level of what we were sold. I anticipate a lot of angry owners will litigate this - I'm wondering what happened with the class action. I have kind of accepted the fact that my car will never even reach a reliable L2.

Not sure what more do you want in AP1?

I bought my AP1 car to do exactly what they promised - "on ramp to off ramp", and it will not even come close to doing that. I bought it to use for my commute to work, and I now just drive my Volt, as the S is no better for that purpose than the Volt. The only time AP helps is on long trips between states, where you go hundreds of miles on relatively simple highway routes. Then, and only then, its great. But that is not worth the price unless you do that every day, or every week, or even every month maybe. I don't, and would never have upgraded just for that.

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
I bought my AP1 car to do exactly what they promised - "on ramp to off ramp", and it will not even come close to doing that. I bought it to use for my commute to work, and I now just drive my Volt, as the S is no better for that purpose than the Volt. The only time AP helps is on long trips between states, where you go hundreds of miles on relatively simple highway routes. Then, and only then, its great. But that is not worth the price unless you do that every day, or every week, or even every month maybe. I don't, and would never have upgraded just for that.

I think in comparison to AP2, the AP1 was a bargain. I’d drive the Tesla any day over the Volt even without the AP if I owned both cars. That said I would not have bought a Tesla in the first place without the AP. Coincidentally I drive an i3Rex back-and-forth to work every day and it isn’t in the Tesla league either. At least until I get around to selling the i3.

Simple suggestion: Only use AP on well marked, divided highways. Do not use it on onramps/offramps, do not use it on surface streets, and do not use it in areas of construction. Common sense prevails here. It is not a self driving system, it is a driver assistance feature that has limitations.

The reality: Autopilot is a BETA project. It is not a final release product. You paid $5,000 to be a beta tester and you are now experiencing what that means. This includes Summon and all related features.

With regard to your suspension lowering over a curb, no it does not just go into jack mode by itself. The suspension re-levels sometimes and that can result in the issue you describe. The solution, obviously, is not to park over curbs and blocks. I would never park over such things, why would you take the chance of scraping the underside of your vehicle? When you park over something like that, you have no way of knowing if the car will actually clear the object. Your vehicle does not have sensors to detect curbs.

Last edited:
So, a few responses, rolled into one post:
  • Forums tend to surface problems, not highlights, and my post is an example of that. For example, TACC works great (except for the brake checks, and that may only happen when AP is engaged, I don't have enough sample data to know), and it actually has done some decent preemptive braking (in response to traffic slowing ahead of the car directly in front of me). Many many other manufacturers offer TACC, though. I think I would have been happy with Benz' TACC implementation (because they are explicit about it's limitations).
  • As some posts point out, there were a bunch of AP1 cars in inventory, including several optioned-out P90Ds, at the time I ordered my AP2. In retrospect, I probably would be unhappy if I'd decided on an AP1. I would have been unhappy if I'd decided to buy the AMG GTS I was considering at the time. I'd be looking at every MS that passed me in the carpool lane... I'm weird that way.
  • Given the discussion regarding AP2 neural nets elsewhere on this forum, I really really hope Tesla has a B Team working on an alternative approach. Other car manufacturers are investing billions in this field, and have better all-around architectures (harder to get to step 1 taking this approach, but a much clearer path to L3+).

• Love
Reactions: Kant.Ing and Max*
Simple suggestion: Only use AP on well marked, divided highways. Do not use it on onramps/offramps, do not use it on surface streets, and do not use it in areas of construction. Common sense prevails here. It is not a self driving system, it is a driver assistance feature that has limitations.

The reality: Autopilot is a BETA project. It is not a final release product. You paid $5,000 to be a beta tester and you are now experiencing what that means. This includes Summon and all related features. Don't be mad if you misunderstood what you were getting into.

With regard to your suspension lowering over a curb, no it does not just go into jack mode by itself. The suspension re-levels sometimes and that can result in the issue you describe. The solution, obviously, is not to park over curbs and blocks. I would never park over such things, why would you take the chance of scraping the underside of your vehicle? When you park over something like that, you have no way of knowing if the car will actually clear the object. Your vehicle does not have sensors to detect curbs.

I'll address your last point first: the MS is a long-assed car, and if I don't overhang a foot or so, it's butt sticks out inviting swipes. I park in the same spot every day, and know the clearance. The car *did* go into jack mode all by itself, and if you look at the pictures, it just *thought* it was in jack mode - it actually lowered the front suspension to the minimum, and raised the rear up to the max. It was a glitch, pure and simple. "Don't park over curbs" is a ridiculous solution. Imagine telling a Civic owner that they have to do this.

Re AP2 - I paid $5k for EAP, and got to be a guinea pig as a reward. It's ok! I knew the deal! Doesn't mean I can't complain, and it doesn't mean what Tesla is doing is right by the customer.

And finally, all the AP problems I reported are on clearly marked highways. I know better than to expect more elsewhere.

I'll address your last point first: the MS is a long-assed car, and if I don't overhang a foot or so, it's butt sticks out inviting swipes.

I don't have this issue and I haven't parked over a curb or block in over 4 years of owning the car. I didn't see your photos, sorry, I didn't notice them on my first read. It sounds like a software glitch that can be fixed.

"Don't park over curbs" is a ridiculous solution. Imagine telling a Civic owner that they have to do this.

Sorry, I don't follow. Why would Honda Civic owners need to park over curbs?

Sorry, I don't follow. Why would Honda Civic owners need to park over curbs?

Because Civics are cars, and drivers expect to be able to park over curbs if they want to. To make the "don't park over curbs" restriction more stark - imagine if Tesla had a bug where the AC switched to heat when temp went over 105F (actually not hard to imagine, is it?) - is the proper reaction "don't drive when it gets hot"?

There is a minimum feature set I expect from any car. Not lowering itself onto curbs is something I didn't think I needed to explicitly state :)

So you see no advantage in the power, handling or ride of the S vs the Volt? OK.

So you see no advantage in the power, handling or ride of the S vs the Volt? OK.
Everyone has different priorities.

Some people want to be green, others want a fast car, others want the SpC network, others want the handling, others care about ride comfort. Yet for others, it's a combination. It's not hard to believe that for someone who has a long boring commute, the main reason they got a Tesla was that AP was technologically far ahead of the game. Plus they were promising to get even further ahead.

Not sure what more do you want in AP1?

I will take the fifth on this :)
AP1 has lots more potential. Recognising red lights is but one. I would say, based on the ex CEO of Mobileye (Amnon Shashua) statements, that we do not have about 25% of the potential of the system. Remember? Elon said it would not just summon out of the garage but come to your door. While that, as usual with Elon, was probably hyperbole, it was based on his inside knowledge of the chips potential.

By the way, autopilot updates when they were being released by Mobileye, were stable, and progressive, exactly what you would expect from a mature company. Now, in house, obviously not so much!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I bought my AP1 car to do exactly what they promised - "on ramp to off ramp", and it will not even come close to doing that

Really? Did you buy a Tesla or something else? Because my Tesla, does exactly that. Once I get on the highway, I switch on AP, and it drives all the way till I get to my exit. Check the badge on the rear to see if you have a 'T'. I honestly don't understand what you mean it is not doing "on ramp to off ramp"