Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"I stopped by a gas station to put air in my Tesla's tires yesterday, and I. . . "

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, once a year I buy $5 worth of gas for the lawn mower. Each time it takes a bit longer as I fumble around trying to get the gas pump to work. I feel seriously out of place and self conscious when doing so but it has to be done. I really need to put and electric lawn mower on my Christmas list but will probably end up with a lump of coal again this year, ugh!

When I was first married 44 years ago, we have a Volvo 240DL and one time I pulled up to the gas pumps to fuel up and a man came over to me and said, "Young lady, you are supposed to be putting Diesel fuel in that car!" I looked at him, shook my head and told him, "No. This is a gasoline car." Then has asked me what the "DL" stood for and I just looked at him and said,
"DE- LUXE." He walked away shaking his head. I've since had two diesel Mercedes (in the 1980s and 1990s) and NEVER again. No more gasoline cars for me either! YAY!!

My wife used to drive a BMW 335d ("d" == "Diesel" in this case). She went to fill up and some guy totally freaked out and was yelling at her for putting diesel in her car. He (sort of) shut up after she calmly explained she had a diesel car and yes it really does take diesel instead of gasoline, although he was looking at her really strangely (she said) until she finished and left.

Now she drives a BMW 330e (gasoline plug-in hybrid). It only needs gas about every 3 weeks or so but she somehow manages to time things so that we're both in the car when she needs to fill it up, so I, the Tesla owner, need to be the one pumping gas. o_O

The way I see it, she's halfway to a "real" BEV, so maybe on her next car we can stop this petroleum-based fuel stuff.

Bruce.

My wife used to drive a BMW 335d ("d" == "Diesel" in this case). She went to fill up and some guy totally freaked out and was yelling at her for putting diesel in her car. He (sort of) shut up after she calmly explained she had a diesel car and yes it really does take diesel instead of gasoline, although he was looking at her really strangely (she said) until she finished and left.

Now she drives a BMW 330e (gasoline plug-in hybrid). It only needs gas about every 3 weeks or so but she somehow manages to time things so that we're both in the car when she needs to fill it up, so I, the Tesla owner, need to be the one pumping gas. o_O

The way I see it, she's halfway to a "real" BEV, so maybe on her next car we can stop this petroleum-based fuel stuff.

Bruce.
Ahhh, so I am not the only lady who has experienced the diesel/gasoline issue! That's a great story, Bruce! I can imagine how she felt. That had to be a bit humorous to her! I kinda enjoyed the experience I had too. It was actually fun knowing more than a man (at that time especially) about a CAR! I am super excited about my order of a Model S and I cannot wait to get it! My husband has an Expedition EL (extra long) and an F150 so he has two gas guzzlers even though the F150 gets about 23 mpg and the Expedition about 21, so that's not all bad but I will NEVER have to go to the gas pumps again and that is so cool. By the way, I am enjoying this forum. I have learned so much from everyone here. Everyone is so nice and informed and willing to share their experiences and advice with a "newbie" and that is so very much appreciated, plus it gives me something to do as I am whiling away the days waiting on my new car! Thank you for your message! claire

I think this is the reason why Tesla should start partnering with retail stores around super chargers. You got lots of people who needs to burn 20 - 30 mins who obviously have spending power. Win-win. I always love it when super chargers are next to a shopping mall coffee shop. It makes the stop so much easier.

If you aren't familiar with the Community Forum area of TMC you should check it out especially the regional/state Supercharger threads. Tesla had been partnering for a while now. Sheetz gas stations back East have been adding Tesla Superchargers to their property. Kind of nice setup for the traveler as they have a mini type market too. Target retail locations are getting Superchargers. Also here in Calif we're seeing the beginning of Tesla Mega Supercharger stations with their own lounge, restroom and coffee/snack area and dozens of charging stalls. Lots happening with Tesla Superchargers and destination chargers. Our Mt. View SpC location (and a few others) have waterless car wash available while you charge.

Our second car is still an ICE (M3 reserved) and I really dread stopping and pumping gas any more. The gas fumes are unpleasant. Bruce, what a coincidence. I have to admit I kind of do the same thing with my husband! It really is nice to just plug in at home and pay for it with your electric bill at the end of the month.

Last edited:
what's even more fun is pulling up to gas pumps with the Tesla, opening the frunk,
and filling a jerrycan with gas to take home for the mower....

I do it in such a way that I'm standing there in front of the car with hood open and hose pointed to the missing "engine" and squirting away...

when seen doing this, from the side, it looks like you're insane.

hang up the hose, cap the can.. shut the frunk and drive off

...even more so when on a road trip you pull into a gas station to use their squeegee - you usually need to pull right up beside the pumps to do that. (wish: more Superchargers should have a bucket/squeegee handy for use while charging)

I got a solution for that too. Ever heard of waterless car wash system? It is just a bottle and a cloth.

I actually wash the front of the car while charging. Get the bugs out while I wait.

I even let someone borrow my kit so he would not distort his X using Tesla's restroom paper towels.

. . . felt like I had walked into the ladies' restroom -- a place I knew I didn't belong."

Seriously felt strangely out of place.

Other sentiments?
I have one of these air compressors in the car. Works great, and I never have to stop by any gas station to get air. :)

http://a.co/j4nBFld
There is no reason to ever stop by a gas station to put air in my Tesla's tires. I bought a small portable air compressor and use that to maintain the tires' air pressure, at home or on the road.

I'm a big proponent of portable compressors. A month ago, I was driving my Prius (My AWD Model 3 isn't scheduled until November) from Los Angeles to the northern Oregon coast. I was 25 miles into an 1100-mile drive (having driven 500 miles the day before), when the TPMS light came on. Despite having replaced the dumb donut spare with a full-sized, I didn't want to have to empty out the hatch to get to it if I didn't have to. I pulled off the road, re-inflated the tire, and drove it to America's Tire, where they repaired the puncture for free.

When I get my Model 3, I'll move the current jumper/pumper to another car and replace it with a compressor-only model (I doubt I'll beef to jumpstart my 3), but as someone who regularly drives between northern Oregon and southern California (often taking the 395 to change things up), is never leave home without one.

Reactions: Sully's8
I don't get why a compressor line isn't available from the air suspension. Ideally it would somehow feed into the tyres and auto pump them when needed (an engineering nightmare I know), but at least we should have a port accessible to plug in an inflator. Why do we have to carry a second compressor when there already is one right in the car?!

I don't get why a compressor line isn't available from the air suspension. Ideally it would somehow feed into the tyres and auto pump them when needed (an engineering nightmare I know), but at least we should have a port accessible to plug in an inflator. Why do we have to carry a second compressor when there already is one right in the car?!
Hummer-H1, and H2 had that option to inflate or deflate tire air pressure while on move. Not sure if H3 still has it.

• Love
Reactions: Puggle