Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this sort of thing has been posted before - but in case anyone is wondering, installing new door speakers in the S is super simple.

All tools needed - T25 TORX, T30 TORX, 10MM Socket, Screwdriver, and electric screwdriver with bendy extension (makes it a hell of a lot easier to install the speakers)

Take off the door by removing the 10mm bolt & 2x T30 screws - use the flathead screwdriver to get the rubber piece out of the handle and the plastic piece from the puller area:

Then pull the door straight off (do not twist) - using a bit of force and I recommend starting at the top side closest to the body of the car - it was easiest for me:

Once pulled off, balance (or have someone hold) the door for you, remove the 4 screws from the speaker with the T25 TORX, and detach the electrical connection by pulling firmly:

Screw in the new speaker, attach the electrical connection and put the door back together the opposite way you took it apart and TADA - you're done. I timed my final one - took me 8 minutes from start to finish to remove the door, install the speaker, and put the door back together. Super simple.

did you use the stock speaker adapters? if so was it easy to remove the stock speaker and put in your aftermarket speakers nice and clean?

did you use the stock speaker adapters? if so was it easy to remove the stock speaker and put in your aftermarket speakers nice and clean?
No, I bought new speakers from BA designs. I still have the old speakers and from what I read, it’s not too hard to cut them out and put in new ones. But I want to keep them in case I switch out and get a new Tesla, so I can put the stock ones back in.

Thanks for providing the information!

One observation I've made is that the standard speakers are MUCH better now than in earlier cars. I also have a Model S AP2.5 car which is late 2017 and I find my standard speakers being a lot better than in the Ultra-HIFI 2016 car I had previously. To be honest, the Ultra Hifi just had some boomier bass (with the sub), but the standard stereo is to my ears much better listening to music at volume 8 with a normal bass level.

I think Tesla did upgrade the speakers at some time. I remember I had a loaner with standard stereo (it was a 2016 facelift car) and the stereo was really bad. So upgrading standard speakers to 3rd party speakers might have been a much more needed thing on earlier built Model S.

Should add that I'm no audio expert and just like a normal good hifi in my car. But the standard stereo in my car is surprisingly good. And since I prefer it over my previous car with Ultra-hifi there must for sure have happened something?
Interesting. I've also been very happy with the standard audio system on my 2017 MS. I'm not an audiophile, but I do have very good hearing. I rented a Model 3 yesterday to see if I should trade "down" and was surprised that I prefer the stereo system in my S. I've read many times how great the Model 3 stereo is. It might be the acoustics of the glass roof that makes the difference. I have a solid roof with the Alcantara headliner.

awesome! can you point me in the right direction for those adapters? i'm trying to do my install soon :)
link please if you have one. id really appreciate it!

No, I bought new speakers from BA designs. I still have the old speakers and from what I read, it’s not too hard to cut them out and put in new ones. But I want to keep them in case I switch out and get a new Tesla, so I can put the stock ones back in.
es

Installed the LH amp today. All I have to say is WOW. Makes a huge difference and I haven't even swapped the sub yet. Deeper richer sound anything above 4 or 5 depending on the song is too loud. Also the amp looks cool with the anodized red casing.

Here's to hoping the amp doesn't crap out though. Probably swap out the sub next weekend.

I just installed the BA design ones too this weekend and I have noticed that there is more mid and lower end to them, for once you can feel the vibration in the door panel when resting your arm on them. Love how they sound, still think I need a sub though to get the extra low end thats still missing at lower volumes.

Great to hear this success story !

They will sound even better after some days of burning in when the rubber is softning and the membranes.

One last tip from recording engineers and audiophiles:

On the equalizer take out frequencies instead of lifting all the bands in order to avoid distortion.

In your case take a setting where your bass is the only one which is going past zero and correct the other ones accordingly like you did.

Have fun and enjoy the space in the trunk ;)

Hi Trayloader, I assume you have a model S ?
I want to upgrade my Model X sound, as the current soundsystem is very "american" sounding ....
I don't think the Eton's are very generaly available in Holland, do you know a place around the border to get them installed?
You kept the stock tweeters?
Which speakers do you have in the back, also the Focals?

The Eton/Infiniti combo i would describe as round, soulful and a tad dry. But bass rich and not as harsh as the original (premium in ModelS) which is IMHO too muddy. The extra midwoofers in the dash are not necessary and over emphasize the mods beyond a correctable state. The sub is „nice“ but not really complementary the way it’s envisioned. That’s why people go for different subs. In my combo the sub is no longer necessary. As I described we recently cross tested our combo against the 2016 E class with the Burmester system and the Eton combo is (all EQ sliders zero) flat out better. Would love to Test vs. the new Model 3 system.
Try it and report back please.

The Eton/Infiniti combo i would describe as round, soulful and a tad dry. But bass rich and not as harsh as the original (premium in ModelS) which is IMHO too muddy. The extra midwoofers in the dash are not necessary and over emphasize the mods beyond a correctable state. The sub is „nice“ but not really complementary the way it’s envisioned. That’s why people go for different subs. In my combo the sub is no longer necessary. As I described we recently cross tested our combo against the 2016 E class with the Burmester system and the Eton combo is (all EQ sliders zero) flat out better. Would love to Test vs. the new Model 3 system.
Try it and report back please.

I saw in a german topic that there was a 3D model available for fitting the speakers, but the model was not included.
Do you have it? And would it be the same for a model X, do you know?

Have had the light harmonics amp installed and running on the stock sub and speaker for about two weeks. Sounds awesome but finally got a chance to swap in the sound qubed. Bass is so much tighter very satisfied with the set up.

As I was testing the sub and fiddling with the equalizer it started to glitch out and showed me the equalizer screen for newer model s' with the immersive sound before going back to the dolby screen. Was able to get pic of the screen.

Imgur

Last edited: