Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit snippy there, Bonnie! I didn't get that from AR's post at all.

But since you're all about context, would you agree that it would be nice if Tesla gave us more information about their peak rate limits? Right now we are left to guess at what level Tesla's protection algorithm kicks in. Most people aren't affected by this, but some are, and some of those people might modify their behavior if they knew what the non-impact limits were. Having less retired people with nothing else to do charging at their local Supercharger every day might not be a bad thing.
I've said that, yes. People want to know what the specific situations are that would cause them to hit the limit. That's not the issue here. I only am asking that we not unnecessarily scare some owners who now think they should never use a higher speed charger or they will damage their battery in some awful way. Hold the discussions - just remember others are reading posts that may need a little context.

While people are busily arguing the finer points, it's easy to remember that there is a large audience for these posts. It's not just some new owners misinterpreting - we're all well aware that some of the *journalists* that troll these threads are skewing their reports without the proper balance. (Or maybe deliberately for clicks, I dunno. Maybe they're not as confused as they appear.)

I was just told by JAX ctr that a super charger rate of 115kw was OK but it is DC power and stressful on batteries, my fans come on and sound like it is going to explode. She said it was normal. Then she said. If don't come back and UNPLUG my car when it's full, I will charged an Idling fee?? Whiskey tango foxtrot, Over?
And double charger only works I have 100 amp circuit in hose? Good luck on that upgrade to house.

What she said is the high temps are stressful, so the battery management system actively cools the battery during charging. That's a good thing.

If you are parked in a supercharger spot and not actively charging, you are preventing another owner from charging. So yes, you need to move.

Also, as the SvC said, if you have the older model dual onboard chargers (up to 80a) or newer version high amp charger (up to 72a) you need to have the electrical service to the wall charger robust enough to carry that much current.

in other words, yes your electrical service needs to support the level at which you wish to charge.

And I'll give you my opinion: Tesla didn't originally have the limits. After they collected the data, they realized if they don't do something, it's going to hurt the batteries even more. They did something (who knows exactly what, and honestly, I don't expect Tesla to tell me or you or anyone. Why would they? If they tell you, they told the world. Then any other car company doesn't have to spend the time or money figuring out what the limits are), but they did it in their usual Tesla way - without communicating well.

So now we have an internet *sugar* storm which about a dozen members* care about, over something that could and should have been a minor issue "Whoops, after looking at even more data, we realized that if you don't put in a minor limit to your charge rate, it'll degrade your battery even faster/catch fire/whatever. We fixed it to protect you, it'll add 5minutes to a SpC stop and only affects 1% of the population on only certain battery packs"

JonMc came out and said something of the sort, but them people started asking for more a lot details, which understandably Tesla doesn't want to reveal.

Done and done.

I agree that is how it likely went.

I disagree clandestine changes to worse on sold products and lack of disclosure would be OK.

Recall and warranty fix is the prescription if you find a fault in something you already sold...

I was just told by JAX ctr that a super charger rate of 115kw was OK but it is DC power and stressful on batteries, my fans come on and sound like it is going to explode. She said it was normal. Then she said. If don't come back and UNPLUG my car when it's full, I will charged an Idling fee?? Whiskey tango foxtrot, Over?
And double charger only works I have 100 amp circuit in hose? Good luck on that upgrade to house.
This isn't the first post in which you've shown your lack of common knowledge (for Tesla owners) about charging. You really need to read the charging pages on the Tesla web site-- both home charging and supercharging. If you want further discussion on idle fees after that, there are dozens of posts here about it which you can find by searching "idle fee".

While people are busily arguing the finer points, it's easy to remember that there is a large audience for these posts. It's not just some new owners misinterpreting - we're all well aware that some of the *journalists* that troll these threads are skewing their reports without the proper balance. (Or maybe deliberately for clicks, I dunno. Maybe they're not as confused as they appear.)

Thank goodness these "journalists" don't spew out Tesla pablum without ever asking an intelligent question... if you know whom I mean.

Sometimes "critical thinking" is in the eye of the beholder. Some appear adamantly opposed to anything that might be interpreted as critical... of Tesla.

That is a concern IMO sometimes. We spend so much time often talking the meta stuff instead of the issue as a result.

Instead of talking Tesla's DC charge throttling we end up talking what that talking means to press or whatnot.

I would prefer talking the subject. The good with the bad of it. Just my opinion of course.

I haven't gone through all 48 pages of this thread, but I can confirm that my car also does not appear to go to full current when charged at a SC. I noticed this about a month ago, and just thought it must be some issue with the SC. In fact, I unplugged the car and went to another stall at the time, with no change in charging rate.

Most of my charging occurs at a Tesla Energy CHAdeMO charger near work. That plus some slow charging at a 115V adapter at work. But the majority of charging occurs at the CHADdeMO station. It wasn't until today that I learned that there is a price to be paid for that, in that they are throttling down my SC charging ability permanently. I also likely have a couple of hundred charging events at the CHAdeMO station.

There aren't any nearby SC, so I'm not sure it's terribly important to me, but if they throttle down my CHAdeMO charging rate, I'll be furious.

I would suggest the message he responded to was doing the same. I guess that explains the style.
I saw bonnie's comments, but this thread has a large concentration of ad hominem attacks.

Maybe enough is enough? (and this isn't targeted at you, this is a general statement to everyone in the thread who are slinging personal attacks against members, instead of discussing the merits of the charging limiters)

I haven't gone through all 48 pages of this thread, but I can confirm that my car also does not appear to go to full current when charged at a SC. I noticed this about a month ago, and just thought it must be some issue with the SC. In fact, I unplugged the car and went to another stall at the time, with no change in charging rate.

Most of my charging occurs at a Tesla Energy CHAdeMO charger near work. That plus some slow charging at a 115V adapter at work. But the majority of charging occurs at the CHADdeMO station. It wasn't until today that I learned that there is a price to be paid for that, in that they are throttling down my SC charging ability permanently. I also likely have a couple of hundred charging events at the CHAdeMO station.

There aren't any nearby SC, so I'm not sure it's terribly important to me, but if they throttle down my CHAdeMO charging rate, I'll be furious.
So here, in a nutshell, is the problem with this thread.

The poster has witnessed a slowdown in SuC rate. He/she immediately attributes it to this (so far) very limited case scenario of a reduced top-end charge rate, without noting a host of other parameters (ambient temperature, paired stall, inadequate - unclean or old - handle, SOC, battery size, etc...).

Could it be another instance? Certainly. Could it be normal operating characteristics? Certainly.

Interesting that this poster would also (apparently) prefer damage to his battery rather than Tesla proactively reducing his charge rate. Which, by the way, has not even been discussed as happening at a CHAdeMO.

To the poster - I was unaware that Tesla Energy has CHAdeMO charging stations. Is that correct?

Last edited:

The poster has witnessed a slowdown in SuC rate. He/she immediately attributes it to this (so far) very limited case scenario of a reduced top-end charge rate, without noting a host of other parameters (ambient temperature, paired stall, inadequate - unclean or old - handle, SOC, battery size, etc...).

Could it be another instance? Certainly. Could it be normal operating characteristics? Certainly.

Interesting that this poster would also (apparently) prefer damage to his battery rather than Tesla proactively reducing his charge rate. Which, by the way, has not even been discussed as happening at a CHAdeMO.

To the poster - I was unaware that Tesla Energy has CHAdeMO charging stations. Is that correct?

Hmm. How could this be avoided? If car could tell the user, if there is a limiter in his car? Something like this? Impossible, I know.

IMG_1028.JPG

Last edited:
I can also well imagine this mitigation strategy affecting resale value. Would you care to buy OP's car, knowing that an undisclosed number of future DC charges uses may lead to a further cap in charger rates ? Keep in mind that so far as we know the mitigation was step-wise and there may be more to come.
Not sure this constitutes a disclosure item upon resale. How would a buyer know how many times, if at all, the car has been DC fast charged? Since Tesla states the car is functioning as designed, there is nothing to disclose.

You can purchase an adapter to use CHAdeMO on Teslas, but the company itself only has Superchargers and destination chargers

Hmm. How could this be avoided? If car could tell user, if there is a limiter in his car? Impossible, I know.
You are missing the point.

As Bonnie tried to point out, because of the way that this thread has evolved (and the fact that it is now 49 pages long) people (especially new users) may misinterpret any slowdown in SuC rate to be attributed to this issue.

Those of us, yourself included Matias, who have been here more than a year certainly understand the myriad sets of circumstances that can cause lower than optimal SuC rates on any given day.