Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cmon Ranger, even you have to agree that Forbes article is an exaggerated sensationalized piece that sows FUD using untruths. "Prevent you from charging your car at reasonably fast speeds"? Sheesh! If you want to argue Tesla should be transparent about what BMS does, fine. Hard to disagree. This deprivation stuff is - in this case - garbage.
About that Forbes article; apparently it has been taken down. attempts to go there even from two different Bing search results yield "cannot parse response" error.

• Disagree
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Living on the edge this morning. (Just kidding - I have zero worries about this. ZEE-ROH.)

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

Now do it every day for a year... ;)
And that's just it. While you and others are busy *analyzing* what you do & don't know - you forget it scares some of the newer users of CHAdeMO and supercharging who will never approach the edge cases. It would be fantastic if you could be meticulous in your posts & call out what appears to be the boundary conditions that bring on the issues for a small subset of vehicle (currently believed to be less than 1%).

Without that context, it is scaring some newer owners. And I'm sure you and others don't mean to do that.

And that's just it. While you and others are busy *analyzing* what you do & don't know - you forget it scares some of the newer users of CHAdeMO and supercharging who will never approach the edge cases. It would be fantastic if you could be meticulous in your posts & call out what appears to be the boundary conditions that bring on the issues for a small subset of vehicle (currently believed to be less than 1%).

Without that context, it is scaring some newer owners. And I'm sure you and others don't mean to do that.

I guess my stance is something to the tune of this: Awareness is good. Ignorance is bad.

I do think growing overall understanding in the community is a worthy side-product of data mining such as this.

There is nothing wrong with warranted concern. Quite the contrary, I would say lack of it is equally bad as too much of it.

If avoiding unnecessary DC charging is good for your battery characteristics (like peak rates), then I would rather people knew.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: yak-55
I guess my stance is something to the tune of this: Awareness is good. Ignorance is bad.

I do think growing overall understanding in the community is a worthy side-product of data mining such as this.

There is nothing wrong with warranted concern. Quite the contrary, I would say lack of it is equally bad as too much of it.

If avoiding unnecessary DC charging is good for your battery characteristics (like peak rates), then I would rather people knew.

Just my opinion.
So you're saying you're not going to give context. Got it.

• Disagree
Reactions: tomas and NerdUno
I was just told by JAX ctr that a super charger rate of 115kw was OK but it is DC power and stressful on batteries, my fans come on and sound like it is going to explode. She said it was normal. Then she said. If don't come back and UNPLUG my car when it's full, I will charged an Idling fee?? Whiskey tango foxtrot, Over?
And double charger only works I have 100 amp circuit in hose? Good luck on that upgrade to house.

I was just told by JAX ctr that a super charger rate of 115kw was OK but it is DC power and stressful on batteries, my fans come on and sound like it is going to explode. She said it was normal. Then she said. If don't come back and UNPLUG my car when it's full, I will charged an Idling fee?? Whiskey tango foxtrot, Over?
And double charger only works I have 100 amp circuit in hose? Good luck on that upgrade to house.
What she said is the high temps are stressful, so the battery management system actively cools the battery during charging. That's a good thing.

If you are parked in a supercharger spot and not actively charging, you are preventing another owner from charging. So yes, you need to move.

You know enough not to be scaring casual users of higher speed charging.

But that's the thing. I don't know.

I know frequent DC charging seems to cause peak rate throttling especially in 90 kWh Teslas, perhaps (but less often?) in some others - after maybe 30,000 miles.

To me that would be something people in the identified risk group would be well advised to know. They can decided if they want to change anything based on that.

Less than 1% is not some risk of failure factor, after all. It is likely a specific sub-group of customers. Those customers should know about this, right? And all customers would benefit from knowing if they belong in that group or not?

Reactions: Naonak
So you're saying you're not going to give context. Got it.

A bit snippy there, Bonnie! I didn't get that from AR's post at all.

But since you're all about context, would you agree that it would be nice if Tesla gave us more information about their peak rate limits? Right now we are left to guess at what level Tesla's protection algorithm kicks in. Most people aren't affected by this, but some are, and some of those people might modify their behavior if they knew what the non-impact limits were. Having less retired people with nothing else to do charging at their local Supercharger every day might not be a bad thing.

I added up my SC charges; I have exactly 60 SC charges so far. So I have a total of 305 DCFC charges.

I'm sorry, but 305 charges is not an edge case. Many, many people will reach that eventually. It's just coincidence that I happened to reach that so quickly... and we know the number is actually less than 305 charges before the throttling starts, I just happened to notice it at that count. Even at 305 - many thousands of cars will reach that level in just a couple years.

If we were talking thousands of charges, I would totally agree.... but 300 charges? Not unusual at all given time.

Just my opinion.
And I'll give you my opinion: Tesla didn't originally have the limits. After they collected the data, they realized if they don't do something, it's going to hurt the batteries even more. They did something (who knows exactly what, and honestly, I don't expect Tesla to tell me or you or anyone. Why would they? If they tell you, they told the world. Then any other car company doesn't have to spend the time or money figuring out what the limits are), but they did it in their usual Tesla way - without communicating well.

So now we have an internet *sugar* storm which about a dozen members* care about, over something that could and should have been a minor issue "Whoops, after looking at even more data, we realized that if you don't put in a minor limit to your charge rate, it'll degrade your battery even faster/catch fire/whatever. We fixed it to protect you, it'll add 5minutes to a SpC stop and only affects 1% of the population on only certain battery packs"

JonMc came out and said something of the sort, but them people started asking for more a lot details, which understandably Tesla doesn't want to reveal.

Done and done.