Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume that the only improvement would be from battery preconditioning, and everything else would be the same. "Up to 25%" includes "1%", so set expectations accordingly.
LOL. 0% is also included in the Up to 25%. Heck even -5% would be included. Sure there might be improvement, but I doubt there would be anything really meaningful for those throttled "90KWh" aka 86KWh pack. Most of the time during road trip, you are already heated up enough to accept the throttled charging.

I would assume that the only improvement would be from battery preconditioning, and everything else would be the same. "Up to 25%" includes "1%", so set expectations accordingly.

Well I'm not sure what he means by the 25%. But... there is an official statement from Tesla that existing superchargers will be improved to 145kW rate:

Introducing V3 Supercharging

"Additionally, we are also unlocking 145kW charge rates for our 12,000+ V2 Superchargers over the coming weeks."

So I wonder how does this effect the whole throttling thing.

Keep in mind that it allows 2 cars to have less sharing. They could do 72kw a piece now.

Possibly not. It never used to split anyway—the second car would get ~30kw minimum until the first car demand dropped below ~90kw. If the first car shows up and sucks more than ~115k now, which is more plausible if max rates are higher, the second car will still get ~30kw, possibly for the same amount of time. ...Unless this raise to 145kw also bumps up the minimum power to the second car...

My theory on this, (could be completely wrong):

Previously, every two stalls shared a single power supply.
Now, all stalls share power source (some combination of transformers and batteries), which has enough to supply most stalls without throttling.

However, I would still think that the speed would go down if all stalls are used. But this should be enough for Tesla to claim that the previous power-sharing no longer applies.

It doesn't make sense for Tesla to reserve capacity that will rarely be used. Most supercharger stations are not full, except for a few urban locations. And even those locations are not full at all hours of the day either. This would be the most economically sound implementation.

For people who have seen very low rated mile numbers reported, and who charge to less than 90% regularly, I would recommend that you try a daily charge to 90% for a couple of weeks. A recent charging thread that came up over on Reddit had more than a few people in it who saw large recovery of calibration after doing this. At the least it is not harmful, and if it helps, great.

Reactions: Helmuth
I looked at the last 4 pages and don't see an updated answer to this. So if I have a 100 kW battery such as 100d, then I don't need to worry about throttling with excessive chademo charger?

I think this only concerns about 90kwh packs but I'm not sure.
If charging mostly with chademo, would it be a good idea to limit the charge rate a bit? (Is this even possible with DC fast charging?) I think 95% of my charging is also with chademo, with an 85 pack. It usually maxes out around 45 kw.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nrazar
I think this only concerns about 90kwh packs but I'm not sure.
If charging mostly with chademo, would it be a good idea to limit the charge rate a bit? (Is this even possible with DC fast charging?) I think 95% of my charging is also with chademo, with an 85 pack. It usually maxes out around 45 kw.
Chademo is already slower to start with, and growing slower by the update. Haven’t used it, but I assume the BMS can modulate power delivery during the taper at higher SOCs or with a cold battery.

So thats what my question was: would impact be less if you limited the charge rate to, say, 30kw?
All indications are that all DCFC sessions are treated equally, regardless of charge rate. Plus, there's no way to limit the charge rate. The car takes the lesser of (a) the max rate requested by the battery management system and (b) the max capacity of the charging station. You can't manually throttle it.