Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does your curve look like? For comparison I have a couple dozen sessions in 16k so far. My last session peaked at 108kW and was still at 94kW at 50%.
You would need about 60 plus see degradation. But so far it looks like you are on your way. Mine started at 118kw. Then dropped to 108kw like yours around a couple of dozen, now pretty much settled at 96kw max though I can see that slowly going down to 93kw sustained now. I suspect it will never stop. I.e. eventually I will be charging at 80kw max...

You would need about 60 plus see degradation. But so far it looks like you are on your way. Mine started at 118kw. Then dropped to 108kw like yours around a couple of dozen, now pretty much settled at 96kw max though I can see that slowly going down to 93kw sustained now. I suspect it will never stop. I.e. eventually I will be charging at 80kw max...
I believe YouTube superstar Bjorn Nyland kept getting 94kW once he suddenly hit that throttled speed. Same on his second 90 pack still today. I could be wrong. Better geeks than myself will know.

Reactions: Galve2000
I went back to my notes from my very first session. 110kW peak. My next to last session peaked at 112kW. At this point it just looks like variability in cable quality and temperature.

There are a lot of anecdotes in this thread that imply throttling, but which in and of themselves are not proof of it.

The biggest lurking variable is battery temperature. There are times I will plug in a 5% full battery and hit 116kW, and there are other times I will plug in a 5% full battery and never reach 80 kW. Sometimes the battery just doesn't warm up enough until you're well into the taper. This is especially common in cold months and climates.

For those who believe they are being throttled and have ways of reading the BMS data, it would be helpful if you can post min and max battery cell temperatures throughout the taper in addition to the display data that Tesla provides.

Reactions: Galve2000
There are a lot of anecdotes in this thread that imply throttling, but which in and of themselves are not proof of it.

The biggest lurking variable is battery temperature. There are times I will plug in a 5% full battery and hit 116kW, and there are other times I will plug in a 5% full battery and never reach 80 kW. Sometimes the battery just doesn't warm up enough until you're well into the taper. This is especially common in cold months and climates.
Also the condition of the supercharger, cable, and handle. Well documented in threads over the past few years about low supercharging rates, especially at heavily used ones in California. Supercharger tech changed cable and/or handle and speeds jumped up!

Yes well this thread was started by someone who was told by Tesla he was in fact throttled, so tinfoil hats aside, we do have confirmation this is a thing.

I agree that there's a long list of things that can affect someone's supercharging speed, this thread just adds one more confirmed variable to that list.

Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars

In case anyone else didn't catch this, ABRP put some updated charge curves from the real-world data they are seeing on battery charge rates. To quote from them: "Charging a BTX4 battery from 10 kWh to 50 kWh takes 23 minutes. The same charge (in absolute energy, not %) takes 27 minutes in a BT85." That would make the 90 battery slot right in between the 85 and 100 for overall charge rate. 10 to 50 kW absolute capacity takes 27, 23, and 20 minutes for the 85, 90, and 100 respectively.

Also a curious side note: "It differs from the BT85 in that it charges slower at really low SoC (below 10%) but it compensates by charging a lot faster at higher SoC." The peak rate actually looks to be around 42% SOC which matches up with my experience.

And one more thing looking it over, it looks as if the only batteries so far that will really benefit from higher than 120kW Supercharger power are the 100 and the Model 3 LR. There might be a short period where other batteries get a few more kW but it doesn't look likely to make a big difference in overall charging times.

(the old data was here for comparison - the 90 curve appears similar to before. A Better Routeplanner )

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I believe they determined it was a count way back in the beginning of the thread but I can't remember if they decided the number was 250 times (or what). Also, if you see the data available concerning charging and the battery, you can see it tracks the number of times you've charged, supercharged, etc.

The throttle is based off the number of kwH you have charged, not the number of sessions. I don't believe we have discovered a specific number of hours that triggers a throttle and what the throttle levels are, though.

There was some post saying v3 of 90kwh pack does not have tapering. Not sure of the validity of the post but if that is true, there might be some hope for us 90kwh pack people to ask for the v3 replacement?

All silicon-based packs (so all 90 packs, and some of the earlier, smaller packs) are subject to early throttling, unlike the 85/non-silicon packs. This includes the v3 packs. My v3 is slowing being throttled as I rack up more DCFC time, but I have been trying to keep the DCFC time on the v3 pack to a minimum.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
@Naonak, can I ask how what your DC and AC charge totals are? I just set up a diagnostic port cable so I could use scan my Tesla and see that I have a DCFC total of 7848 kWh and AC total of 526 kWh for just about 22.5k miles. Mostly we drive cross country so are using a lot of Supercharging. SMT reports a nominal full pack of 95 kWh so I'm about 7% down over 16 months. I have not detected any throttling yet but I also have a 100 kWh pack which I think I can infer is not supposed to be affected anyways. But with all the DCFC I've done I'm at the high end degradation for my ownership time I think.

@Naonak, can I ask how what your DC and AC charge totals are? I just set up a diagnostic port cable so I could use scan my Tesla and see that I have a DCFC total of 7848 kWh and AC total of 526 kWh for just about 22.5k miles. Mostly we drive cross country so are using a lot of Supercharging. SMT reports a nominal full pack of 95 kWh so I'm about 7% down over 16 months. I have not detected any throttling yet but I also have a 100 kWh pack which I think I can infer is not supposed to be affected anyways. But with all the DCFC I've done I'm at the high end degradation for my ownership time I think.

On my V1 pack, I had about 6 MwH charged when I noticed I was being throttled to about 85kW max charge. I've since gotten a new pack (for unrelated reasons) and have kept the DCFC charging to a minimum on it. But I believe I have noticed some throttling starting on my V3 pack with somewhere between 1 - 4 MwH charged. I need to hook up Scan My Tesla as well and check. I just haven't gotten around to it.