Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info on Autopilot + v7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you own a car made by people you don't trust with safety cricital software?

My car has no such features as are being discussed here. Since my purchase, I have learned how Tesla releases software - with many bugs - and I am extrapolating that experience to Autopilot. The only safety critical features on my car are airbags and ABS brakes. I would have no reason to believe those systems don't function properly - they've been around for decades and the logic for those systems is probably not even coded by Tesla. But Autopilot is unexplored territory by a company under the gun to deliver the software, and programmed by people who are working far too many hours. You can't account for every variable in actual driving conditions, and guaranteed there is at least one scenario that Tesla has not thought of, or coded for, that could kill someone. Again, this is just my opinion.

You don't know you have a problem until you have a problem. This happened with the battery puncture fires, and ultimately Tesla had to re-evaluate the ride height as well as the lack of battery protection. I don't want to be one of those guinea pigs.

Last edited:
Yes, I later noticed a second video showing stop-action of 1500 man-hours of work to install many meters of wiring and numerous sensors being installed.

I did notice they made quite a few changes to the interior of the car.

Here's the video with the work shown:

Note lots of new sensors, including stereo cameras!

Last edited by a moderator:
Footbag, does this look something like the v7 you saw?

Not really similar. The nav in the IP looks slightly like v7... dark and 'round', nothing else looks remotely similar (aside from the dark color scheme). While I didn't go through/see many of the options of the touchscreen, what I did see was very similar in overall function/look as what we have now, whereas the video is quite a departure. I could have certainly missed something, and elements could change before release.

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool. If we get half of this I'll be happy.

You may not be a happy camper then :-( But a agree, much of the Bosch concept is intriguing.

Oh, and hello 691HP, it was nice meeting you today at the Burlington Supercharger!

IMHO, they were able to do that using smoke and mirrors. Or CGI.

I *cannot believe* they are promoting email-checking, movie-watching, and complete driver inattention.

This is a CGI-enhanced promo video for an R&D division within Bosch which is working on fully autonomous self-driving. Once that arrives (10 years from now; maybe sooner) then obviously you'll be checking your email, watching TV, having a sleep, etc while the car drives for you.

But it has nothing to do with what Tesla are planning for a look & feel overhaul in their v7.0 software update.

- This individual stated being very bothered when various button presses would take time to activate - so the team spent considerable effort speeding response times up - but are limited by the hardware (I did not ask about model X having a faster processor)

This part bugs me. You're building a $100k machine, give it a $300 desktop class processor and be done with it for the next 5+ years. Why such a underpowered Nvidia Tegra SoC solution that was used to power mobile tables 2 years ago. The response times of the UI are my BIGGEST pet peeve when I drive my car everyday. Either the software is insanely un-optimized or the hardware is underpowered. With such a large amount of the "quality" perception of the vehicle coming from the User Interface, Tesla should never have shipped software this slow....

This part bugs me. You're building a $100k machine, give it a $300 desktop class processor and be done with it for the next 5+ years. Why such a underpowered Nvidia Tegra SoC solution that was used to power mobile tables 2 years ago. The response times of the UI are my BIGGEST pet peeve when I drive my car everyday. Either the software is insanely un-optimized or the hardware is underpowered. With such a large amount of the "quality" perception of the vehicle coming from the User Interface, Tesla should never have shipped software this slow....

This bothers me too. They built the center display modular with a sub board containing the CPU, ostensibly so it could easily be upgraded and at relatively low cost. The Tegra 3 was arguably obsolete even before the first MS was delivered, especially when you consider the size of the screen. This is no different than the cellular modem, which is also on a sub-board. The just recently started shipping cars with LTE modems instead of 3G, so it proves they are willing to do some upgrades. Why not CPU? I suspect they intentionally don't want the browser too fast or capable, because we'd be using more bandwidth on their dime. It's also arguable a safety feature; The browser is so slow that you don't really have to take your eyes of the road that often to read it's updates! =)

I may be the only TMC member to think this way.....but.....I could care less about autopilot features beyond blind spot monitoring and TACC. I bought the car to actually drive it, not have it drive me.
If I want a car in the future that drives me I will buy a car who has 0-60 in 6-7 seconds and a top speed of 80mph.

The only reason I want to see autopilot features is that Tesla will be seen as a leader in the field. Otherwise, I won't be using them.

Agree. I have no interest whatsoever in autopilot, none.

It's the "hardware is underpowered" option. Nvidia was in trouble with the Tegra and likely offered Tesla a sweetheart deal to get someone, anyone, to buy it. Is easy to forget now, but the Model S's future was legitimately uncertain when they were choosing these parts. Plus, they were trying to get under $50k at the time, and needed every dollar. I suspect the low-power architecture and a rock-bottom deal from Nvidia made the decision easy. Now that the future is bright, I doubt they'll repeat the mistake.

Hmm... I'm not convinced. BOSCH makes my dishwaher, but it's not very smart.

:)

Ha, true and same here. That was the Bosch vision, not anywhere near possible yet from their ability as a company. Completely made up and pieced together video, screens look mocked up and imposed we know that, and the whole thing was a little cheesy - i.e. rate this maneuver part. How do you rate a failure/crash, 0? so it does better after being repaired next time?

;-)

- - - ... Also, the fact that very recently a change was put in, directly about how the car would pester the driver about autopilot, and this person really didn't like the change (and the change is one that lawyers could be blamed for) <sorry for being a bit vague, it was mentioned what this exact change was, but as this change may only be known to a few within Tesla, I really don't want to call it out in hopes I am protecting this individual in some fashion> gives me the impression that someone 'above' this person is making changes to autopilot, thus this person may not know/control the whole fate of autopilot.

Without giving the game away, could you give a few examples of what method of pestering they might be using? IE, tap something on the main display every few minutes, touch the steering wheel, hit a button on the wheel, push the TACC stalk, etc? Is it one of those?