Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info on Autopilot + v7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last time Apple was afflicted with the complexity disease was in the 1990s with MacOS. It got fixed when Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Not sure what's going to happen now. I agree, iOS is bloated and getting way, way too complicated.

Don't disagree that Apple isn't as tight as thy used to be (they compromise too much now) but iPhone remains the easiest smartphone to use IMO. Highly subjective but easier than Android. That's my point here. Auto steering features exist but I think Tesla has what it takes to do it better than the others, like Apple does (or used to do well if you insist).

So, I'd go ahead and tell everyone this. Since I have to go on long work trip and vacation (without coming back home) this Saturday for a couple weeks, it will likely come out right after I leave, so I can get the notification and be tortured knowing it is at home waiting for weeks! So expect it in about a week ;-)

So, I'd go ahead and tell everyone this. Since I have to go on long work trip and vacation (without coming back home) this Saturday for a couple weeks, it will likely come out right after I leave, so I can get the notification and be tortured knowing it is at home waiting for weeks! So expect it in about a week ;-)

My guess is, they will have a mega announcement with
- Roll out of autopilot
- Model X design studio open
- Maybe some hardware upgrades tied to Model X

.. that said, their earnings call is next week. They would like to have some good news right around that call.

"Good news! We can make autopilot work! We're so excited! P.S. it'll be provided to the general public soon" (aka in 12-18 months)
bang-head-on-wall.jpg

"Good news! We can make autopilot work! We're so excited! P.S. it'll be provided to the general public soon" (aka in 12-18 months)

Makes sense. Man they always push right up until the end to meet their commitments. July Model X design studio was "in July" so right here at end of month. Seems like Autopilot "rolling out in X days" would also be a good announcement (ha, like apple does a new OS, that same day), etc. Model X pricing reveal as part of the design is the big deal for the market next week - it isn't expect to be affordable by any means still, exceeding Model S pricing.

No more P85 speed updates needed for a long while please - focus on being a profitable & surviving company please :)

In my opinion, Autopilot is a major lawsuit waiting to happen. And I'm not talking about the delay in releasing it.

Why? There's no announced feature that isn't already shipping on a BMW or Mercedes. The S Class has had automatic highway lane keeping for 18 months, along with a load of collision avoidance, rear collision detection, blind spot safety etc stuff that even Tesla haven't said they're building. The BMW 7 series will park and unpark itself without a driver inside. And parallel and perpendicular Park Assist have been around for about 5 years and are now appearing as options on everyday family cars.

Autopilot is a fantastic bit of PR/branding wrapped around a load of features that (so far) is just playing catch-up with the Germans.

With self-steering they've even said that the Tesla Engineering team own an S Class and their benchmark is to better it for self-steering, which is as close to an admission as you can get that they're just implementing a better version of a feature that another car already has.

I just don't have much faith in Tesla's software QA, so fully expect something terrible to happen on the road. I certainly hope not, but that's my gut feeling. It will be like the Tesla car fires all over again, and with NHTSA getting involved. I think Tesla is taking on too much risk with Autopilot. Model S would have sold just fine without lane keeping/Autopilot functionality.

I just don't have much faith in Tesla's software QA, so fully expect something terrible to happen on the road. I certainly hope not, but that's my gut feeling. It will be like the Tesla car fires all over again, and with NHTSA getting involved. I think Tesla is taking on too much risk with Autopilot. Model S would have sold just fine without lane keeping/Autopilot functionality.

Why would you own a car made by people you don't trust with safety cricital software?

I may be the only TMC member to think this way.....but.....I could care less about autopilot features beyond blind spot monitoring and TACC. I bought the car to actually drive it, not have it drive me.
If I want a car in the future that drives me I will buy a car who has 0-60 in 6-7 seconds and a top speed of 80mph.

The only reason I want to see autopilot features is that Tesla will be seen as a leader in the field. Otherwise, I won't be using them.

I may be the only TMC member to think this way.....but.....I could care less about autopilot features beyond blind spot monitoring and TACC. I bought the car to actually drive it, not have it drive me.

Here's another one. (Not that I could use autopilot, I have a two year old "classic", but I don't plan on trading mine for an autopilot equipped version any time soon.)

You're not the only one. The lack of blind spot monitoring is maybe the largest complaint I have about my car, so I'd appreciate that feature at least. I've used my cruise control maybe 3 times in the nearly 2 years I've had the car. I would probably use autopilot if it handled stop-and-go traffic for me, but short of that I'd probably not use it. The extra cost would have to be weighed carefully if I were buying now.

Really interesting news on the updates and new software, though. Thanks for all the details.