Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that's the problem. A user wanting AP in 2018 were forced to purchase EAP on top of the 53-55k MSRP. Today, a person can pay 47k and get AP which is what the majority do. That's about a
10k difference in price.

Uh...no, it's really not.

Because the 2018 person got $7500 in tax credits, a $200 lower destination fee, and $500-1000 in extra hardware.

And to get most of the features in EAP the 2020 guy needs to drop $8000 on FSD.

Which is why, again, the only apples to apples comparison is give both cars FSD. Otherwise they're unequal in features.

And if you do, the 2018 car is net cheaper than the 2020 one, and has additional parts they don't even install anymore.

Plus a better rear drive unit.

Uh...no, it's really not.

Because the 2018 person got $7500 in tax credits

Not everyone will get back $7500. Depended on their tax liability. And we can't see every purchaser's returns to know for sure. We've been through this already.
And to get most of the features in EAP the 2020 guy needs to drop $8000 on FSD.

Which is why, again, the only apples to apples comparison is give both cars FSD

And I'll repeat as long it takes, the majority of people today don't get FSD. There's less of an incentive to get it.
Otherwise they're unequal in features.
True, but if the majority today cared enough about all those extra features, they'd be getting FSD. They obviously don't. The core feature
comes with the car.

2018 EAP was the equivalent of paying for 200 channels of cable TV to get 10

And I'll repeat as long it takes, the majority of people today don't get FSD.

It's great that you will keep repeating that, but where is your evidence to back up that claim? The best data I have seen is from @Troy's survey that shows that >51% of people ordering a Model Y have purchased FSD. Last time I checked that would mean the majority do get FSD...

There's less of an incentive to get it.

Actually there is more of an incentive to get it now. (People want Lane change, NoA, and Summon which had been available in the cheaper EAP option.)

Last edited:
It's great that you will keep repeating that, but where is your evidence to back up that claim? The best data I have seen is from @Troy's survey that shows that >51% of people ordering a Model Y have purchased FSD. Last time I checked that would mean the majority do get FSD...

Actually there is more of an incentive to get it now. (People want NoA and Summon which had been available in the cheaper EAP option.)

Agreed.

I ordered my Model 3 in April of 2019 - right after EAP was no longer available. I paid for FSD.
I ordered our Model X 3 weeks ago, and picked it up Monday. Also paid for FSD.

I couldn't imagine NOT ordering it; moving the EAP features into FSD was smart. Made it a much more compelling package. I don't want to drive Autopilot without lane changing. Would feel like I'm flying Concorde but at 500mph. You know it CAN do so much more ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...jOqrzFfWQ_r5T9LS-l3gQzPXCk/edit#gid=535897394

40% for the model 3

Actually there is more of an incentive to get it now. (People want NoA and Summon which had been available in the cheaper EAP option.)

With the price increase, I'm not so sure. I think people are cautious, but eventually, I believe it will pass 50% once they get the city driving sorted out.

Last edited:
Agreed.

I ordered my Model 3 in April of 2019 - right after EAP was no longer available. I paid for FSD.
I ordered our Model X 3 weeks ago, and picked it up Monday. Also paid for FSD.

I couldn't imagine NOT ordering it; moving the EAP features into FSD was smart. Made it a much more compelling package. I don't want to drive Autopilot without lane changing. Would feel like I'm flying Concorde but at 500mph. You know it CAN do so much more ...

It seems that the FSD take rate is directly proportional to the price of vehicle which is directly proportional to household income.

A good example is the Cybertruck pre-orders:

Taken from inside EVs:
Tesla Cybertruck Average Transaction Price Will Be Over $60,000

Single Motor with FSD: 58.74%
Dual Motor with FSD: 64.94%
Tri Motor with FSD: 79.25%

And I'd expect the take rate for the Model S and X to be higher than that of the Y and 3. And there's no surprise the Y is higher than the 3. And even within model segments there are probably differences. I bet as a percentage, the P3D has a higher take rate than the AWD and SR models.
IMO, as a result of being more cost conscious in general, Model 3 users are much more likely to be influenced by the price than the features. As FSD matures and become more compelling, that should change.

Wait, wait, wait...you don't get auto-dimming side mirrors, interior pocket lights, a dead pedal, or a frunk matt anymore? I saw that matts weren't included in the sr versions, but was all this other stuff cut out too? The auto dimming mirrors are amazing.

yup- all that's gone in all versions AFAIK... (and I haven't checked but I'd imagine they're not on the Y either since they're trying to get as much shared parts going as possible- hence why the 3 was switched over to the Y center console/charging setup recently)

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wait, wait, wait...you don't get auto-dimming side mirrors, interior pocket lights, a dead pedal, or a frunk matt anymore? I saw that matts weren't included in the sr versions, but was all this other stuff cut out too? The auto dimming mirrors are amazing.
On my SR+ I didn’t get mats either.

On my LR AWD, the mat has a carpeted section that covers where the dead pedal is. The oem carpeted mat i purchased from tesla for my SR+ didnt have that extra flap.

But the new cars have built in wireless charging pad for phones.

• Funny

Recently, they've also been $4-8k cheaper and come with AP, and now USB C and a wireless charger. $40 will get you a nice dead pedal for the 2020 and another $40 a high quality waterproof frunk mat that even says model 3. $25 for the nema 14-50. I think most can live without side dimming mirrors and led pocket lights. Although aftermarket lights might already be available.People always focus on what was taken away, without looking at the fact that Tesla had reduced the price by thousands while adding other features.

Recently, they've also been $4-8k cheaper and come with AP

Not really though.

As explained already, with math and everything, a LR AWD with FSD in 2018 was cheaper net of the tax credit than buying the same car now.

The SR+ price gap is even larger between when it was introduced and today.

The "price cuts" have almost entirely been in response to diminishing tax credits- not really reducing net price to buyers at all other than the weird few who somehow bought a $50,000-60,000 car without any significant tax liability.

• Funny
Not really though.

As explained already, with math and everything, a LR AWD with FSD in 2018 was cheaper net of the tax credit than buying the same car now.

Roughly 60% of current Model 3 buyers aren't getting FSD. And for those that do get it, it's a hit or miss as to which was cheaper vs the 2018 buyers.
The "price cuts" have almost entirely been in response to diminishing tax credits- not really reducing net price to buyers at all other than the weird few who somehow bought a $50,000-60,000 car without any significant tax liability.

Well, I bought my car in March and it's 2k cheaper today and comes with with additional accessories. No tax credit for me either.

There have been price cuts in 2018, 2019 and now 2020. And not all were because of diminishing tax credits.

Attachments

• teslas.jpg
    teslas.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
This has been out for a little while. Keep in mind that because of the way they unlock the features, you can't upgrade your software afterwards. That's going to be a deal breaker for just about everyone as you won't be able to get any of the new features they release. Take a look at where the software was a year ago to get a sense of how rapidly it has improved. Hardly seems worth forgoing all of this just for a faster 0-60 time to me.