Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm highly doubting that Tesla can push new firmware and activate/install it without driver interaction.

My thought is all Teslas would need to download and confirm the install of the firmware. It'd be running in Shadow mode. Only then, could Tesla turn it on later. I think downloading firmware that 'does nothing' will at least give the perception that 'things are happening'.

Reasoning being that all the firmware installed up to date has required the car not be in motion and in the case of the X, falcon doors closed. You are looking at a lawsuit if you had to go to the emergency room and found your car updating at that moment in time and you couldn't use the car.

The update process could also take a long time because I bet Teslas has lower level mechanisms in place that allow the car to be rolled back in case of failed or complications from the update.

I worry a lot for my TSLA holdings if a bad patch bricked the entire fleet and they had to send a ranger with a console cable to each and every single Tesla. :D

I'm highly doubting that Tesla can push new firmware and activate/install it without driver interaction.

Reasoning being that all the firmware installed up to date has required the car not be in motion and in the case of the X, falcon doors closed. You are looking at a lawsuit if you had to go to the emergency room and found your car updating at that moment in time and you couldn't use the car.

The update process could also take a long time because I bet Teslas has lower level mechanisms in place that allow the car to be rolled back in case of failed or complications from the update.

I worry a lot for my TSLA holdings if a bad patch bricked the entire fleet and they had to send a ranger with a console cable to each and every single Tesla. :D
Yes I absolutely agree that it is VERY unlikely they will push firmware without driver giving permission. I do think they could decide when a car (that has received the update the driver chose to download) gets switched from shadow mode to active mode. Even in active mode the driver still has to turn autopilot mode on manually.

I had thought too that our AP2 cars were collecting data based on this tweet by Elon in December but maybe not.
Twitter

Last edited:
Yes I absolutely agree that it is VERY unlikely they will push firmware without driver giving permission. I do think they could decide when a car (that has received the update the driver chose to download) gets switched from shadow mode to active mode. Even in active mode the driver still has to turn autopilot mode on manually.

We don't know what the shadow mode entails, but we do know it's Tesla's intention to test AP2 software in the background of the entire fleet. It's has not been explicitly stated to my knowledge, but it's possible shadow mode is already running. I am on .180, and the HW2 fan runs consistently. If the hw is not doing anything, why is it powered on? Could it be testing software already or gathering data? It would be enormously benifitial for Tesla to be able to shadow test revisions without having to wait for an update (if they truly are moving that quickly). And there is no technical limitation that would prevent them from building the capability to push updates to the AP hardware directly without any perceivable impact to the users.

According to the article on Electrek, Shadow Mode was already pushed out last week to the entire fleet?

"Last week, Tesla pushed the first phase of ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ to the first 1,000 vehicles and in shadow mode for the rest of the fleet. At the time, Tesla hoped to switch the rest of the fleet to active mode by the end of the week, but the company decided to push a new version of the update before going ahead.

CEO Elon Musk confirmed today that the new version will roll out tomorrow in active mode for the first 1,000 vehicles and in shadow mode for the rest of the fleet again. They are again aiming to switch the fleet to active mode by the end of the week."

According to the article on Electrek, Shadow Mode was already pushed out last week to the entire fleet?

"Last week, Tesla pushed the first phase of ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ to the first 1,000 vehicles and in shadow mode for the rest of the fleet. At the time, Tesla hoped to switch the rest of the fleet to active mode by the end of the week, but the company decided to push a new version of the update before going ahead.

CEO Elon Musk confirmed today that the new version will roll out tomorrow in active mode for the first 1,000 vehicles and in shadow mode for the rest of the fleet again. They are again aiming to switch the fleet to active mode by the end of the week."
I'm sorry but I think that was a mistake as I never got a software update in my AP2 X last week.

Did anyone else notice the mention of Ludicrous+ :cool:

Tesla to push new ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ update to first 1,000, aims for whole fleet by end of the week, and ‘Ludicrous+’

Also good news for Tesla owners of Model S P100Ds with Ludicrous mode. The new update will also apparently include the Easter Egg to unleash more power in the Tesla P100D Ludicrous and bring the 0-60 time down to 2.4 seconds, which could now be called ‘Ludicrous+’...

upload_2017-1-8_9-49-16.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
This is my second Tesla and I really doubt they would push software without telling us!

But this would be software for testing in their isolated AP shadow mode sandbox and have no impact on the vehicle's operation! This is my third Tesla and I think they would if they think it will accelletate AP development. Tesla often speaks of the AP2 hardware as sandbox at their disposal for software validation; it's not too far a leap for them to push and pull data from their sandbox without the consent or knowledge of the owners.

Updates to your smart phones firmware have required reboots. Application updates do not require reboot. Software operates at different levels. Application layer, machine layer, etc.

Higher level software might not require reboots.
If the lowest level of the software is touched, reboots are required.

Even if reboot might not be strictly required, no reason for Tesla to be risk preferred. They will want the car stopped ,and they will want your permission to update.

If I were to make an educated guess:

1000 cars or more will be prompted to receive the updates. Perhaps the 1000 cars will receive one set of updates and the remaining fleet will receive the others.

The release notes will say that the update downloads the capabilities to enable TACC, FAC, AEB to the car. HOWEVER, pending validation via shadow mode, the features are not ready to turn on.

At this -point- Tesla in theory could just 'turn it on' once your vehicle is in 'P' mode. However if they were being wise about it, they ought to send a micro update later that might serve no purpose other than just saying "HEY, its cool to turn things on, check it out!".

Tesla probably do push software without telling you. Version 8 in the U.K. Introduced a whole host of problems including a fault that said the charge flap needed replacing. They acknowledged the fault and one morning it was cured. When I bought my car there was a fault with USB music that meant certain speakers played static noise. That was fixed without accepting any software.

I suspect it depends what's in the release, or if a patch is not the same as a release etc, but they have clearly done something more than once to the car without user interaction.

My guess is that for other than the few cranky folks on here who WILL NEVER UPDATE ever ever most people will happily click the "yes" button when an update comes around, which will give plenty of shadow mode data providers for Tesla's use. This is just like the normal course where the car is always taking inputs from the vehicle and validating driver input etc against the model for purposes of tweaking the algorithm. The features do not need to be enabled for this to happen.

There were known cases where software was forced to a car remotely in extreme cases, so I am 99% certain that capability exists.

However, I read this as there would be an update for everyone, so HW1 cars can new stuff, Ludicrous cars get new stuff, the existing, enabled HW2 cars would see new stuff, and the other HW2 cars would not see a difference (regarding autopilot at least) for a week or so.

So no need for some secret download IMHO

But this would be software for testing in their isolated AP shadow mode sandbox and have no impact on the vehicle's operation! This is my third Tesla and I think they would if they think it will accelletate AP development. Tesla often speaks of the AP2 hardware as sandbox at their disposal for software validation; it's not too far a leap for them to push and pull data from their sandbox without the consent or knowledge of the owners.
Starting the night of the 31st, when the first 1000 in California got the update, my car started having a fan noise above the glove compartment. If I'm in the car and mute the radio, I can hear it all the time but we're pretty sure it never had that noise before the 31st.