Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think those who are litigation minded should think things through.

A class action lawsuit will significantly harm Tesla.

All the naysayers will use you as proof of how awful Tesla is.

Seeking Alpha will have an orgasm, while half of our politicians will caterwaul about "Solyndra!!!!" and "Subsidies for the rich"

Our President may "do something " as is his won't. Hopefully only a Twitter war, but look at his Cabinet full of Big Oil. Imagine the EPA going after Tesla based on some trumped up claim

All imperiling the greater vision.

So yes, maybe Tesla needs to do something to recompense those "harmed." But we must be careful or we will get less than nothing. If we play our cards wrong we'll have a fun but unreliable car from a defunct manufacturer
(E.g Fisker)

As others have said, what Tesla really needs to do is improve communication and start to under promise and over deliver.

More than that, they need to keep the model 3 simple, and get it out in time (or just a year late)

Seeking Alpha will have an orgasm, while half of our politicians will caterwaul about "Solyndra!!!!" and "Subsidies for the rich"

Our President may "do something " as is his won't. Hopefully only a Twitter war, but look at his Cabinet full of Big Oil. Imagine the EPA going after Tesla based on some trumped up claim

So yes, maybe Tesla needs to do something to recompense those "harmed." But we must be careful or we will get less than nothing. If we play our cards wrong we'll have a fun but unreliable car from a defunct manufacturer
(E.g Fisker)

As others have said, what Tesla really needs to do is improve communication and start to under promise and over deliver.

More than that, they need to keep the model 3 simple, and get it out in time (or just a year late)

It's really quite simple. Stop selling things that aren't available yet.

In AP1 land, we have Tesla trying to claw back functionality. The Ludicrous cars lost performance because when they finished developing the car, they realized the hardware couldn't survive. And here we have the beginning of a year long gripe session as AP2 buyers wait to get back to the capablity I use everyday.

Just stop selling stuff that's half baked!!

(E.g Fisker)

Tesla have already suffered class actions over the power claims and settled. They keep doing it, making "promises" that don't materialise fully or in the timescales stated. Any one buying full self driving will probably never see it on their car and it's those folk who have the biggest issue, or will have when it's not here in a years time or more, or they'll see something that everyone thought was part of enhanced AP. Imagine if auto lane changing was classed as self driving.

My concern is behind the scenes he's a guy that won't take no from his team when he should listen. He didn't want to heed mobileye concerns about how far he was pushing that version of hardware and thats created the current timescale issues. He will try and force new software through to meet timescales and we all know that's a dangerous game. And compromises like the speed limit lead to ridicule to be frank. Does he really think he met the AP2 end of year target because I certainly don't think they have In any meaningful way. It doesn't take a genius to know that AP2 software should have been ready before they started selling cars with it. I don't buy the "it needs miles" at least not by the buying public argument as that just means AP3 will have to start from scratch too when that appears.

I've suspected it for a long time and increasingly believe that they need a CEO. Let Musk be the ideas man but let someone get service centres working properly, get some real fair use policies in place, meet your promises on super charger and spec roll out, tell us how much SC will cost (as we have no idea in the UK) and a host of other things. The cars are brilliant at what they do, why does he need to undermine things by the false dates and capabilities?

I ordered my first S 8 years ago give or take. 'Enthusiastic' promotion has been part of the process all along, With the rate at which Tesla innovates, I don't expect this to change any time soon. Many of us who purchased the first cars were early adopters and expected issues / delays with software and features, as Tesla moves more mainstream I think they need to realize that expectations are different.

I purchased an inventory vehicle which, as far as I can tell, all have the full AP2 software suite enabled. I asked my salesperson to disable FSD which they did and lowered the price accordingly. I think that this is the best approach for people who have concerns over timing and delivery of the feature set. I went back and forth between an AP1 P90D and a AP2 75D. The P90D was about $5K less but my experience with my original S was that once new hardware is delivered, enhancements for the legacy platforms start to drop off fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I ordered my first S 8 years ago give or take. 'Enthusiastic' promotion has been part of the process all along, With the rate at which Tesla innovates, I don't expect this to change any time soon. Many of us who purchased the first cars were early adopters and expected issues / delays with software and features, as Tesla moves more mainstream I think they need to realize that expectations are different.

I purchased an inventory vehicle which, as far as I can tell, all have the full AP2 software suite enabled. I asked my salesperson to disable FSD which they did and lowered the price accordingly. I think that this is the best approach for people who have concerns over timing and delivery of the feature set. I went back and forth between an AP1 P90D and a AP2 70D. The P90D was about $5K less but my experience with my original S was that once new hardware is delivered, enhancements for the legacy platforms start to drop off fairly quickly.

I also bought an Inventory car and was told that I cannot disable features once they have already been activate, as I too wanted to disable FSD so I don't have to pay for something that is not yet functioning with no real timeframe of when it will be.

Reactions: oktane
Many of us who purchased the first cars were early adopters and expected issues / delays with software and features, as Tesla moves more mainstream I think they need to realize that expectations are different.

Apologies for only quoting part of your post, but this is the bit that's key. People in the UK have taken delivery of AP2 cars and were NOT aware that the features weren't turned on until they tried to use them, I'm sure that's happening everywhere. That is totally unacceptable. These people just want a car, they don't read extensively on forums or have deep knowledge.

Apologies for only quoting part of your post, but this is the bit that's key. People in the UK have taken delivery of AP2 cars and were NOT aware that the features weren't turned on until they tried to use them, I'm sure that's happening everywhere. That is totally unacceptable. These people just want a car, they don't read extensively on forums or have deep knowledge.

Apparently, as I was told by another forum member, it's all very clear...

All you had to do is go to Tesla.com, then click on "Updates" in the top right corner, then scroll all the way to the bottom, then click on "SHOW MORE POSTS" and there you will find a blog post from October 19th about how HW2 cars will not have functions available on HW1 cars and it may be some time before they are available.

All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

I mean, every person that buys a Tesla reads every blog post on the website, right...right?

I also bought an Inventory car and was told that I cannot disable features once they have already been activate, as I too wanted to disable FSD so I don't have to pay for something that is not yet functioning with no real timeframe of when it will be.

My rep didn't put up much of a fight. I pointed out to him that if the feature could be enabled after the fact then I would expect that it could also be disabled. Must just be a bit that gets flipped somewhere right?

My 'window sticker' shows FSD as enabled but my bill of sale from Tesla shows it disabled. I guess I will find out eventually. I won't argue if it is still enabled! I should have asked him to flip my battery to 60 as well although probably would have been pushing my luck!

I can't speak for Tesla but I have worked in the tech industry for many years. In most cases what will happen is that when AP2 is enabled a week or a month from now the complaints will vanish. Right or wrong, that is what a lot of tech companies count on when making promises.

Last edited:
I choose to simply enjoy being on the cutting edge no matter how long I have to wait.

This is mostly how I feel as well.

But, alas, Tesla has been growing at better than 50% year over year and is quickly transitioning from early adopter to mainstream buyer. There will be (and have been) growing pains. During this transition there will be some bumpy roads as Joe Mainstream buyer has different expectations than Early did.

I think a perfect example is most of the early adopters & enthusiasts spend untold hours scouring Tesla's website and Internet forums soaking up whatever information they can find and therefore are not caught by surprise when they take delivery of an AP2 car with no features activated.

Mike

Reactions: bmah and u00mem9