Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2017-01-08 07.46.33.png

There's is one other related tweet...

image.jpg

The shadow mode thing is curious - does the software install without the owner confirming the install? Or will everyone get the new software (notification and confirm to install) but it will on be functional on 1,000 cars?

There's is one other related tweet...

image.jpg

The shadow mode this is curious - does the software install without the owner confirming the install? Or will everyone get the new software (notification and confirm to install) but it will on be functional on 1,000 cars?

I believe the shadow mode is in operation of AP2, not the install. ie. you will get the standard message to install and it will install the features but they will not operate. Instead the features will be gathering data while you drive. Would be nice if it still does the calibration as that will save some time. Actually I suspect it will do the calibration, otherwise the data capture could be pointless/limited value ???

Crap, you're right looks like only the SAME 1,000 people get the new firmware update on Monday. I must have been half-asleep when I read it. Not everyone is as awake as Elon at 5:45am. Not sure how other cars "will switch from shadow to active" without a firmware update at the end of the week for the non-1000.

Crap, you're right looks like only the SAME 1,000 people get the new firmware update on Monday. I must have been half-asleep when I read it. Not everyone is as awake as Elon at 5:45am. Not sure how other cars "will switch from shadow to active" without a firmware update at the end of the week for the non-1000.

I think Tesla will have power to enable changing it from shadow mode to Active mode remotely without a new download needed.

I think Tesla will have power to enable changing it from shadow mode to Active mode remotely without a new download needed.

It is possible Tesla has the ability to push to HW2 without an update.

I have wondered if Tesla would start doing this to enable rapid testing in shadow mode. This would let them test as many revisions as they need throughout the fleet without having to have customers take update after update.

Wouldn't that then mean that the entire fleet should be getting the new software tomorrow, but only be functional on 1,000 cars? Is it possible that the software can be uploaded to the car without the owners confirmation. Some may not want to upgrade?

Wouldn't that then mean that the entire fleet should be getting the new software tomorrow, but only be functional on 1,000 cars? Is it possible that the software can be uploaded to the car without the owners confirmation. Some may not want to upgrade?
Yes that would be my interpretation. I think the owner would still have to click the Install Button to install the software. It would just be up to Tesla to determine when it gets switched from Shadow to Active mode for everyone but the first 1000 beta testers.

Any body else?
Our car's HW2 - EAP stuff seemed to go "live" this evening - while my wife was driving the S home from visiting a friend 10 miles away at a Huntington Beach hospital. When she got home she said the S seemed to be acting funny. But she couldn't explain why she thought that. She's still learning all the levers, and like me, occasionally turn on/off the wrong things.
20 minutes after she got home, we were both in the S to go visit friends about 3 miles away. She had me drive. The "assistance" & "cruise control" and other warnings had cleared, so I tried to see if any of the user programmable safety distance settings were active. I set it at a far distance, and the S started slowing for the car in front of us WAY before I normally would. After the light changed, the S began driving on its own, back up to a safe following distance behind the car in front of us. I cranked the safe distance setting back to a close distance, and I almost used the brakes my self as it was uncomfortably close when the S began braking ... not 'hard' braking - as when someone gets distracted & really has to lay into it ... but still to the point where you'd really have to be on top of it, if the system failed.
I gave one of our friends a demonstration ... went back in .... played cards, and by the time we were on our way back home? Back to warnings "assist systems / cruise whatever not active. Oh well - it was kind of neat - although the experience was short lived.
Thanks for the explanation. Seems my inquiry got me a "thumbs down" from somebody -
o_O
tough crowd -
I thought the OP was primarily a thread regarding cars equipped with the new hardware - but the complaints are because the upgrade is apparently requiring older cars features to go off line? Hope that question doesn't get me another thumbs down. How many dislikes do we get before we're kicked off or banned or what ever.

I actually was talking about hardware 2(I took delivery in late December). There's a bug in .185 where apparently certain conditions result in camera calibration never completing. So I've had no cruise control *or* AP features since the 31st, despite having driven 700 miles since then.