Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a Passport 9500ci radar detector / laser diffuser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did my 9500ci install on Thursday. I went very slow and methodically, and it went well. I did not run the read shifter, as that doesn't seem to be an issue where I live, and I did not install the LED indicator, though it would have been easy to do...a red/green LED just seemed a little out of keeping with the rest of the interior.

A couple of useful things to note: firstly, the GPS antenna works perfectly when positioned on the steel beam that runs behind the nosecone (the same beam the radar detector is mounted to). I could work out how to get it up behind the dash and behind the mesh section, but in the end having it behind the nosecone was far easier. It has a strong magnet, so no drilling required for that one. Secondly, I found a live tap inside the car that's only live when the other accessories are. It meant one less wire to run from the frunk (i.e. the fuse box), so with all the wires on the 9500ci, that's a good thing.

I felt like I took a lot of step-by-step photos, but having just reviewed them, I guess I didn't, so if you have any questions, go ahead and ask....

Step 1 - Remove frunk trim. This is really easy. I took the base mat out, then the other soft trim. All the plastic panels around the top of the frunk just pop up, you need to unscrew the rubber bolts that the frunk lid closes onto to release the side trims. As I was taking bits out, I stuck a post-it on each part with a sequence number, so I knew that putting everything back was just in reverse order.

1 Front.jpg

2. The plastic trim at the front that houses the frunk light and release lever has a couple of wires going to it, they just unclip.

2. frunk release.jpg

3. the top trim at the front with the chrome plates is held in with little plugs and a few clips. As noted elsewhere, the plugs are easy to remove, just pop the middle bit up with a flat screwdriver or spudger, then just lift it out.

3. pop up plug.jpg

4. Here's the full piece, showing the white plastic clips along the front edge.

4. front peice.jpg

5. Once that piece is out, the nosecone is easy to remove, as you can push it out from the inside along the top, then, holding it from underneath, lift and pull at the same time. I've marked where I think all the clips and catches were, but again, it's very easy to pop out.

5 nose cone.jpg

6. Now the rest of the frunk can come out. It's 2 pieces, held together and in place with, if I recall, 9mm and 10mm bolts. Remove the back section first, then the main piece just lifts out. There's a cable that runs around the left side of the frunk shell for the manual release of the frunk, so watch out for that when lifting out the frunk shell. This leaves you with a fully exposed frunk area, which makes running the cables much easier.

6. frunk bucket.jpg

7. Next for the trim in the cabin. In order to remove the plastic above the pedals, you have to remove the trim for the door step, and along the side of the center opportunity area. Everything pops off fairly easy, there's no tricks. Then the panel above the pedals is held up by two screws, remove those, unclip the power lead for the footwell light, and remove the panel. I also removed the end panel of the dash, which more or les means you can work completely behind the dash, with one arm in the side, and one from underneath.

8. dash side.jpg

I think there's a limit on the number of photo's I can upload, so I'll stop here, and start a new post.

- - - Updated - - -

8. I installed the radar head first, on the steel beam running across the front, directly behind the nsecone. It's fairly tough to drill into, but not too bad.

9 radar.jpg

9. Next up were the laser shifters. There's no ideal spot for these unfortunately, aside from behind the nosecone, if you can somehow overcome the issue of the plastic being in the way. I wasn't up for Dremmeling the nosecone, so they're mounted in the top vent under the cone.

9 laser shifters.jpg

10. I didn't want to cut into the grid, but I also didn't want the shifters sticking out too far, so I had to cut away a bit of the grid (using wire snips - it's very soft plastic) to allow the back corner of each of the shifters to be recessed a little. As I'm using the underside of the nosecone to mount the shifters, I couldn't move them further back to be completely out of sight, as I would have lost my mounting point.

10 shifter cutouts.jpg

11. For now I've just used very strong foam tape (VHB tape) to mount them to the cone, mostly because I want to make sure they're in the right spot before drilling holes, but, the tape is strong, so chances are good I'll see how it goes before screwing them to the nose cone. The red line in the photo is just my laser level, not a cool Knight Rider effect :)

11 fitted shifters.jpg

11. Next I put the GPS antenna on the steel bar, fairly close to the red battery jump bolt (no picture, sorry). It has a VERY strong magnet, it's not going anywhere.

12. Now gather all the wires (4 - laser x 2, radar, GPS), and wrap them in electrical tape. I decided not to drill through the firewall (there's no openings that I could see to be used), so I ran it along the drivers-side wing, and into the passenger compartment by going underneath the door seal.

12 wrapped wires.jpg
13 more wrapped.jpg
14 door entry.jpg

Attachments

• 7. Empty frunk.jpg
    7. Empty frunk.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3,183
Last edited:
13. Now there's a huge nest of wires to make vanish. Added to the 4 from the frunk, are power, control module, USB, display, speaker audio and power, and rear shifter and LED if you opt to use those.

14. wire mess.jpg

14. I mounted the connection module using VHB tape to the side of a box that's above the pedals, more or less directly behind the dash. There's a lot of room around it, and it's a solid mount, so seemed like a good spot.

connection module.jpg

15. for the power tap, the yellow wire is hot when the other accessories are on, which is perfect for this. It's in the drivers footwell on the left side, there's a couple of wireloom bundles. I probed a lot of wires before finding this one, it's not easy, since there's no traditional 'ignition'. There's a bunch of black earth wires in the same spot, so it's easy to tap those as well.

power tap.jpg

16. Aaand that's apparently where the install photos stop. Below are a couple of pics of where I installed the control module (easy, just pry the dash apart a little to run the wire), and the display module (also easy, just tuck the cable into the headliner, and down the A Pillar (there's a screw under the 'airbag' plastic cap)). The speaker is also behind the dash, sitting in the bottom piece of (leather) dash trim, more or less where your knee is. It's plenty loud enough to be heard even though it's inside the dash.

display.jpg
control module.jpg

There was a good bundle of wires that I just wound up and wrapped in electrical tape. There's a lot of space behind the dash, so it was easy enough to push them behind there. Then it's just a question of putting everything back together in the reverse order, and your done! All in all, it took me about 12 hours to complete, but I'm happy, no rattles or squeaks!

Let me add my thanks as well. This will make it much easier for the rest of us!

No problem, it was a fun project. It's interesting to see the 'guts' of the car...I'm not expert on these things, but most of it seemed very orderly and solid.

I'm still tempted to run the rear shifter, but might wait for a few more people to document that first.

BTW, the quote to install from my local Car Toys was $642 out the door.

Thanks for the detailed rundown. Did you 'trial and error' the wiring for the power or have access to a wiring diagram ? I am going to hard wire in a windshield detector next week so I can use it in two different vehicles, but do wonder about the lack of 'traditional' ignition wiring etc. Was it easy to find the +ve for ignition-on wire ? Did you use a relay on it to decrease the load on that yellow wire, or do you know what it powers and if there is enough empty load on it to use for the detector ?
Anyone have access to a wiring diagram for the car ?
thanks

Thanks for the great directions. I worked with my local install shop for the last couple of days and just finished my install. Here are a few photos of the chosen locations. Please note that I have used the 9500ci on another car, and really dont feel the need for the display or controls to be fully visible. I have a cover, (which I forgot to take a picture) will later that hides the controls completely. The sound is strong and the led is located in the vent. Finally, the rear diffuser is located under the license plate and not on it.

2013-05-02_00002.jpg
2013-05-02_00003.jpg
2013-05-02_00004.jpg

Thanks for the great directions. I worked with my local install shop for the last couple of days and just finished my install. Here are a few photos of the chosen locations. Please note that I have used the 9500ci on another car, and really dont feel the need for the display or controls to be fully visible. I have a cover, (which I forgot to take a picture) will later that hides the controls completely. The sound is strong and the led is located in the vent. Finally, the rear diffuser is located under the license plate and not on it.

View attachment 21305

Oh that's VERY interesting ... there is a USB port tucked back in there? This makes me think Tesla has plans for some sort of insert for this little cubby....

I too thought I didn't need the laser stuff, however my first ticket in it was from a cop that was on express lane entrance (hiding) from behind, who got me with LIDAR. So my nosecone mounted 8500ci did me no good (though I'm sure it's saved me from other possible tickets from normal KA band cops).

My 9500CI just saved my bacon on RT24 in Avon, MA
State Trooper was sitting perpendicular to the road on a grassy area in the middle of a ramp area, laser went off, I saw the "Shifting", I slowed down to 65 (was at about 72-75), he pulled out with his lights on, but I stayed in the right lane at 65, and he lost interest.
That would have been about a $120-$150 ticket ($50 over and $10 for every MPH over the posted 65MPH speed)

That's the cheap part. The expensive part could be a $200-$300 increase on your "Safe Driver Insurance Premium" we have in MA, last for 6 years so potentially another $1800. This is the second time the 9500CI has prevented a ticket.

My 9500CI just saved my bacon on RT24 in Avon, MA
State Trooper was sitting perpendicular to the road on a grassy area in the middle of a ramp area, laser went off, I saw the "Shifting", I slowed down to 65 (was at about 72-75), he pulled out with his lights on, but I stayed in the right lane at 65, and he lost interest.
That would have been about a $120-$150 ticket ($50 over and $10 for every MPH over the posted 65MPH speed)

That's the cheap part. The expensive part could be a $200-$300 increase on your "Safe Driver Insurance Premium" we have in MA, last for 6 years so potentially another $1800. This is the second time the 9500CI has prevented a ticket.

Good to know.

Well, I think I finally validated that my laser shifters are installed correctly, and working.

Depending on what you read online, the alignment is critical, but there's no easy way to be 100% sure, and even then, the divergence over a typical LIDAR shot from 100yrds+ away is significant. Anyway, this morning I was driving along a 35mph street at around 40-45mph, when I got a LIDAR shot at a fairly well-frequented location. I couldn't see him, but lifting off the accelerator was enough to drop the speed quickly to 35mph. When I eventually passed him (bike cop, literally hiding behind a bush), he was glaring at me and shaking his head. I take that as validation that the shifters did their job :)

Well, I think I finally validated that my laser shifters are installed correctly, and working.

Depending on what you read online, the alignment is critical, but there's no easy way to be 100% sure, and even then, the divergence over a typical LIDAR shot from 100yrds+ away is significant. Anyway, this morning I was driving along a 35mph street at around 40-45mph, when I got a LIDAR shot at a fairly well-frequented location. I couldn't see him, but lifting off the accelerator was enough to drop the speed quickly to 35mph. When I eventually passed him (bike cop, literally hiding behind a bush), he was glaring at me and shaking his head. I take that as validation that the shifters did their job :)
Most LIDAR guns will indicate a jammed signal - thats how the cop knew to shake his head at you. Also, even if he got a reading the gun has to get two readings within a certain period of time to provide a validated reading... read all about it here http://www.guysoflidar.com/

Peter,

What equipment are you running? I've heard great things about laser interceptor.

Peter,

What equipment are you running? I've heard great things about laser interceptor.

Passport 9500ci with the stock shifters. There's details of my install waaay up thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Most LIDAR guns will indicate a jammed signal - thats how the cop knew to shake his head at you. Also, even if he got a reading the gun has to get two readings within a certain period of time to provide a validated reading... read all about it here http://www.guysoflidar.com/

Good site. I didn't realize that shifters/jammers were illegal in TX...so why didn't he hop on his bike to give me a ticket for the shifters? Normally they'd hop on for something far more trivial, in my experience...

When you hear the LIDAR tone you are supposed to slow down and double tap the mute button on the 9500ci. That shuts off the jammers and the cop gets a good reading on his second try.