Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

insurance issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Liberty Mutual and they insure my Tesla. I have heard some people having to go to the regional manager to discuss covering the Tesla. You may want to do that.
I have also heard people say that their insurance company dropped the Tesla when the renewal time approached. A lot going on with Tesla and insurance companies as accidents are occurring and the cost of repair is exceeding the insurance company's expectations.

A lot of the people that answer the phones at the larger insurance companies are in a call center somewhere in the Midwest and don't know what a tesla is let alone how to spell it. All the big companies do insure it especially if you have your house with them as well. What I found helpful was to ask for a manager and spell tesla for them.

I've been shopping the insurance companies in order to insure my MS and I am encountering we don't insure that car yet. tonight I had Liberty Mutual inform me that they as of now do not write insurance on the Tesla.
FWIW
geico has offered me the best priced insurance.

This is weird to me. It did take me almost a month, but last week my Liberty Mutual Agent was able to insure my Tesla MS for $1k/year. This is far lower than any quotes I got from state farm, progressive or geico.

here's what I've learned about insuring my MS, for now the car is going to registered and titled in NJ, the best rate I could find with maximum coverages allowed is $720+ for 6 months, I had geico give me a quote for the the similar levels if the car was registered in FLA, that quote was about $289. per 6 months. your car(s), your credit scores, your claims history, your driving records and your precise location all go into the mix for determining what the insurances costs will be
YMMV

I just switched to GEICO from Allstate after 38 years with them. My premium for my 2013 Model S and 2007 Lexus LS460L including 300/500, uninsured the same, comprehensive 500ded, collision 1000ded went from $1830/6mo to $830/6mo. One claim in the past 4 years. NB. I also got an umbrella policy for $5M and premium went down from $1000 to $725/yr.