TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

insurance issues

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by apvbguy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

I've been shopping the insurance companies in order to insure my MS and I am encountering we don't insure that car yet. tonight I had Liberty Mutual inform me that they as of now do not write insurance on the Tesla.
    FWIW
    geico has offered me the best priced insurance.

2. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Also check with Progressive, State Farm and Travelers. They all insurance MS.

3. Vip

Vip Member

I have Liberty Mutual and they insure my Tesla. I have heard some people having to go to the regional manager to discuss covering the Tesla. You may want to do that.
    I have also heard people say that their insurance company dropped the Tesla when the renewal time approached. A lot going on with Tesla and insurance companies as accidents are occurring and the cost of repair is exceeding the insurance company's expectations.

4. voidptr

voidptr Member

I've had no problems insuring with Allstate for the last 8 months.

5. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

Allstate were quite good although they just upped my 6 monthly figure by some $150. I found Progressive very good and about $500 cheaper than Allstate (for insuring 2 cars).

6. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

A lot of the people that answer the phones at the larger insurance companies are in a call center somewhere in the Midwest and don't know what a tesla is let alone how to spell it. All the big companies do insure it especially if you have your house with them as well. What I found helpful was to ask for a manager and spell tesla for them.

7. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Costco's Ameriprise insurance was about $300 less every six months than Geico and Liberty Mutual's quotes for my 3 cars...

8. russman

russman Member

How did you get a quote from Costco Ameriprise? I tried to do an online quote and it doesn't list Tesla as an automaker.

9. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

I went through State Farm and the MS is listed. Very straight forward for me.

10. GlennAlanBerry

USAA gave me a great rate on my Model S. I was with American Family before that. American Family will also insure a Model S, just for a higher premium. It seems like many insurers are covering Model S vehicle now.

11. landover

landover Member

I tried to get a quote with USAA but you have to have a family member in the military, or you your self had to serve.

12. icantdrawanime

This is weird to me. It did take me almost a month, but last week my Liberty Mutual Agent was able to insure my Tesla MS for $1k/year. This is far lower than any quotes I got from state farm, progressive or geico.

13. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

here's what I've learned about insuring my MS, for now the car is going to registered and titled in NJ, the best rate I could find with maximum coverages allowed is $720+ for 6 months, I had geico give me a quote for the the similar levels if the car was registered in FLA, that quote was about $289. per 6 months. your car(s), your credit scores, your claims history, your driving records and your precise location all go into the mix for determining what the insurances costs will be
    YMMV

14. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Ability to insure will vary state to state. So just because a carrier will insure a MS in one state doesn't mean they will in every state.

15. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I just switched to GEICO from Allstate after 38 years with them. My premium for my 2013 Model S and 2007 Lexus LS460L including 300/500, uninsured the same, comprehensive 500ded, collision 1000ded went from $1830/6mo to $830/6mo. One claim in the past 4 years. NB. I also got an umbrella policy for $5M and premium went down from $1000 to $725/yr.

16. gnychis

gnychis Member

FWIW- AAA gave me a good quote in CA, 1 year policy so no changing of rate mid-year

17. SummerlinModelS

For the 50+ crowd, the rates I got from The Hartford via AARP were excellent. 250/500 coverage was mid-$900's, about half the price of Farmers. Las Vegas is known for high insurance rates so I am very happy with this policy.

18. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

When you did that, did you get a refund for the policy premium difference? I signed up for auto, then umbrella a day later, and I can see my auto policy premium went down but I didn't get any money back. Maybe it went into a discount on the first umbrella policy premium?

19. ribsandbbqbeef

You should get a refund. I did with State Farm, about 1 month after I made the change on my insurance.