Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Argh. Managed to get a quote for £770 from Admiral which is actually pretty good compared to the rest.

BUT they won't let me lock it in without a reg plate...and I just know its going to go up over the next couple weeks because insurance always does closer to the start date.
Try their website and save the quote.It usually saves for thirty days.

Argh. Managed to get a quote for £770 from Admiral which is actually pretty good compared to the rest.

BUT they won't let me lock it in without a reg plate...and I just know its going to go up over the next couple weeks because insurance always does closer to the start date.
I’m sat on a saved quote from Admiral that’s valid until the 10th March, however I too am missing the registration. Will be interesting to see what happens when I try to add the registration and pay for it. I’m guessing I’ll need to call and speak with them armed with the quotation reference.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Try their website and save the quote.It usually saves for thirty days.

I’m sat on a saved quote from Admiral that’s valid until the 10th March, however I too am missing the registration. Will be interesting to see what happens when I try to add the registration and pay for it. I’m guessing I’ll need to call and speak with them armed with the quotation reference.

Problem is i'm doing it via a comparison site referral and I can't seem to save the quote at Admirals end...

I did try quoting directly through Admiral and they decided to throw an extra £200 on the price with the exact same details....

God I hate insurance.

Problem is i'm doing it via a comparison site referral and I can't seem to save the quote at Admirals end...

I did try quoting directly through Admiral and they decided to throw an extra £200 on the price with the exact same details....

God I hate insurance.
I had exactly the same experience. However when I proceeded via GoCompare to try and buy the Admiral insurance without the registration, I was unable to buy it however I did get an email from Admiral with the quote price and reference.

I had exactly the same experience. However when I proceeded via GoCompare to try and buy the Admiral insurance without the registration, I was unable to buy it however I did get an email from Admiral with the quote price and reference.

I just went back into it again and I do indeed have the reference number and the bit that says your price is guaranteed for 30 days.

But, if you go the website and try and retrieve a quote, it wants your name/postcode etc and then comes back with a totally different quote (that I tried directly to see if there was any difference) and its much more expensive.

Sigh...I guess i'm just going to have to hope that come the big day, I can phone them up and force them to use the quoted reference that I have.

Either that or I'm seriously considering putting a private plate down (that is currently available to buy because I'm toying with the idea) and then in 2 weeks say, oh hey there was a problem and I lost out on the private reg that I was meant to be getting, so can I just update my details to the standard reg.

I think their admin fees for online changes of vehicle are £9.50?

Which still makes it my cheapest quote by FAR.

Realised that in my quotes I put myself down as registered keeper while leasing company will be it, so went for another quote. Shot up £150! (and changing it back to me as keeper didn't change it) what a con.

I'm just going to use my saved quite of £500 odd and change the keeper. Worst case I'll get charged an admin fee.

Hate insurance so much.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Realised that in my quotes I put myself down as registered keeper while leasing company will be it, so went for another quote. Shot up £150! (and changing it back to me as keeper didn't change it) what a con.

I'm just going to use my saved quite of £500 odd and change the keeper. Worst case I'll get charged an admin fee.

Hate insurance so much.
Try running your quote in private browsing mode. There will be some tracking cookie or similar which is affecting your quote values on a re-quote.

Churchill seems to be the best bet for a quote on an M3 on comparison sites. The price per month is good but the Voluntary and Compulsary excess adds up to £750. In fact every provider has the same excess. Is this the norm nowadays?

Churchill seems to be the best bet for a quote on an M3 on comparison sites. The price per month is good but the Voluntary and Compulsary excess adds up to £750. In fact every provider has the same excess. Is this the norm nowadays?
All quotes I've looked at have had their excess in the £750-£1000 range. I recently switched from Direct Line (£1000) to Aviva (£750) but then took out Motor Excess Protection with another insurer for ~£30.

Reactions: Tigermad
Anyone looking at Churchill, remember to call them & mention Autopilot & you will get an additional 5% from an online quote. I'm switching for the forthcoming 1 yr anniversary & they are significantly cheaper than I had with DL, even before the 5%.

I also asked them to add that the car has the acceleration boost & 19" alloys so it's officially recorded as deviating from 'standard' - no problem or impact on the premium & it's recorded in the policy notes.

Having seen a separate thread about questionable 'approved' repair garages & the implication it was DL/Churchill I was informed that if we choose to use a Tesla approved garage that is not on the insurers own list then that's OK but in that case a courtesy car would not be provided by Churchill.

I am due to take delivery of a Model 3 on Saturday. Any suggestions as to good (if there is such a thing) insurance companies?

Churchill turned out cheapest for me... "good" well, I'll find out if I have to claim!
Unfortunately you may have missed the boat for best price insurance. If you arrange the deal so close to getting the car you are clearly "over a barrel" and the companies adjust accordingly! 21 days in advance is the recommended period for insuring. You can do this as an agreed quote and give the registration when you have it.

Churchill were cheapest for me when going via Compare the Market. More expensive going direct and via Go Compare.
M3 LR 21 Reg £325 with Churchill (via comparethemarket) 16 years NCD, protected, hire car etc. £750 excess
Quoted for and bought 4 days before cover started.