Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 100D is $787 for 6 months through USAA. That's with $100 Comp and $250 Collision deductibles. If your parents or grandparents served in the military you should be eligible for USAA.
USAA for me is around 600/6 months. I have a 1000 deductible and pretty high coverage limits (can't remember them off the top of my head). I'm a 29 y/o non married in WA state.

I'm in my 70's State Farm is $1000 a year for heavy coverage. A second on making sure the vin pulls the right model. Mine shows S90 d when i have a S60. Getting that sorted out but they say it won't change rate.
Same age and paying $1,000 a year for excellent coverage (with Acuity) in Wisconsin. I am buying S 90D but listed on policy as "S 75D -Model S 9". Called insurance agent - they insist as long as VIN # is correct i am OK. Also have $1MM umbrella policy which is under $500 a year.

I'm in my 70's State Farm is $1000 a year for heavy coverage. A second on making sure the vin pulls the right model. Mine shows S90 d when i have a S60. Getting that sorted out but they say it won't change rate.

I have State Farm. No model is designated at all on my policy. It just says 2016 Model S 4DR. I gave them the VIN and identified it as a P100D when I submitted the request to add it to my insurance, but I guess State Farm doesn't differentiate between the various battery sizes and performance options.

Thats insanely low. Whats your commute distance/yearly mileage
I just got my renewal from GEICO, and it's lower than last 6-months. $324/6 months for the Tesla (but the Tesla is not the only car on the policy, and that includes so many discounts - multiple cars, house, good driver, new vehicle discount, etc. etc. etc.).

I have about the same level of coverage as the OP for $100k/$300k/$100k and $500 deductible on comp and collision. 15k miles a year, 16 miles each way to work. Though I don't think the mileage affects the quote all that much.

I just got my renewal from GEICO, and it's lower than last 6-months. $324/6 months for the Tesla (but the Tesla is not the only car on the policy, and that includes so many discounts - multiple cars, house, good driver, new vehicle discount, etc. etc. etc.).

I have about the same level of coverage as the OP for $100k/$300k/$100k and $500 deductible on comp and collision. 15k miles a year, 16 miles each way to work. Though I don't think the mileage affects the quote all that much.

I have the same coverage, multiple cars and policies, similar mileage, no accidents or tickets in maybe 10 years+ ... and im at 900/6months (in california)

I think Electromans note is pretty important. Getting a good price for coverage does mean anything if the company refuses to pay out under that coverage. You need to hire an insurance company that you trust to be there in your moment of need.
There was a wildfire in our area that swept through a mountain community and burned down many houses. Insurance companies found every clause in their contracts to avoid the paying for the loss - which generated a backlash of anger.
My conclusion - shop first for trustworthy companies and second for coverage and third for price. If the company wants to refuse payment, how will you know that before the check is cashed?

Amica (top rated just behind USAA) $1109/yr $300K all coverage $500 deductible with Max Towing, Max Rental ($90/day), Max Glass ($0 ded), GAP for loan and basically all options. Pretty good for Houston as one of the top un/under insured cities (people literally jump out of the car and run for it after accidents).

Amica is fantastic when it comes to claims - not the cheapest, but worth it.

Reactions: pjoseph
I just bought a model S 60 and am satisfied with the GEICO rate and service. It's difficult to beak out the insurance for the tesla because our policy covers three cars, one of which is driven by my 17 year old -- a high risk item for insurance coverage. On the other hand, I'm a sixty year old with a totally clean record. Last traffic ticket was back when I was 30 years old!

My best suggestion is to shop around for quotes.

Former Geico customer here. Currently with Allstate. Dreading to open their bi-annual renewal e-mail. Next post..

My nearly new MS was in a minor fender bender back in December with Geico being the other party. Thankfully the damage was minor. Geico will nickel and dime you when it comes to paying out. They are pigs.

Have USAA & Amica on my radar.

Reactions: gfab333
Former Geico customer here. Currently with Allstate. Dreading to open their bi-annual renewal e-mail. Next post..

My nearly new MS was in a minor fender bender back in December with Geico being the other party. Thankfully the damage was minor. Geico will nickel and dime you when it comes to paying out. They are pigs.

Have USAA & Amica on my radar.

Swines are they? Thanks for the heads up. I will be prepared.