Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bean-counters in the back room of insurance companies are all statisticians. Fair or not, negative statistics also have a large part to do with rates. Younger drivers, maybe drivers under 28, have a higher probability of being involved in an accident. There is also zip code profiling, where insurance companies collect claim information and other statistics based on the zip codes. Do you garage your car or leave it on the street overnight? Many factors. When I moved to GEICO, they only wanted to know what model; Roadster, Model S, or Model X I had. It seems a Model S P100DL carries the same weight as my 75. Go figure.

Interesting as Geico for me classified the P different than a regular

When I obtained my insurance through Geico, I made sure that the X-PEL wrap was added on to the policy. I don't know if it makes economic sense to... but this begs the question as to upgrades AFTER delivery, eg higher capacity battery, higher amperage charger, Ludicrous upgrades... I might think that the insurance company might treat them as "modifications" and not cover them...

My understanding of it is that there's more to the process of setting a premium than just the advertised discounts, so for that, I feel like it's not a very transparent process (or at least, can be a frustrating process for young Tesla drivers trying to find a reasonable premium).

For instance, at one company I would qualify for only the standard good driving, multi-policy, and occupational discounts and be quoted a very low rate. However, at other companies, I would qualify for the same/similar discounts in addition to a few more, yet be quoted a premium nearly 3 times more expensive.

That is why I have my theory that many insurance companies (especially AAA and Ameriprise) do not like young Tesla owners largely in part because they put a large weight on "age of driver + type of vehicle driving". Allied, for instance, puts less weight on that, and more weight on "are you a good driver". How about Wawanesa quoting me a premium $800/yr lower when I turned 28 versus when I was 27? I can think of nothing else that would explain such a big change in quoted premium besides the fact that I turned 28 and went from 9 to 10 years of being a licensed driver in the US.

Perhaps when I reach the average age of a Tesla owner companies like Ameriprise will start beating out everyone else, but for now, they clearly don't want the risk associated with a young Tesla owner.

@andyaycw do you have a a P or just regular Model S? Just cuious. right now Geico for me with the P90D is $1,012 for six months, it was $775 for 6 with a non-P model. I am looking at about $3,200 a year between my 335 and my Model S

@andyaycw do you have a a P or just regular Model S? Just cuious. right now Geico for me with the P90D is $1,012 for six months, it was $775 for 6 with a non-P model. I am looking at about $3,200 a year between my 335 and my Model S

There are so many variables here. I lived in Florida for a couple years and drove a new Corvette. As I recall, it was cheaper to insure in Florida than here in California. I suspect being under 28 is the real killer here.

As to decoding the vehicle's VIN, it seems the 7th and 8th position of the VIN would be the only indicator of performance and vague IMO. The 7th position is for battery type (size) and 8th position is for motor or drive unit, single or dual in Tesla's case. The VIN doesn't provide a hint as to "P" - performance. I guess if you're asked, you would probably do well to give it up.

VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

Last edited:
It's not the P in and of itself, it's the PxxD that gets you.

We have two P85s with GEICO and they are about 700-750 each per 6 months.

Friend with the P100D (different carrier, granted) is about double that.

Interesting, wouldn't think about the D

There are so many variables here. I lived in Florida for a couple years and drove a new Corvette. As I recall, it was cheaper to insure in Florida than here in California. I suspect being under 28 is the real killer here.

As to decoding the vehicle's VIN, it seems the 7th and 8th position of the VIN would be the only indicator of performance and vague IMO. The 7th position is for battery type (size) and 8th position is for motor or drive unit, single or dual in Tesla's case.

VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

There are so many variables when it comes to insurance. $300 more than a 90D for six moths is ludicrous in my opinion. I just don't think I would try and mess around with GEICO and say its not a P especially on a lease. I was just curious for general inquiry. I am 30 so generally I don't have the issue. I really wish I could just put the VIN in and see what the car comes up as with the insurance company and leave it at that, saying that is how they classify it. considering I pay almost $700 on my 335, the $900+ premium increase for me after the multi-car discount isn't completely out there since the car value is exponentially higher. I wish I could drop my 335 to the lowest levels since I really won't be driving it.

I decoded my VIN and the only description that came up was:

7 (digit) Battery Type E = Lithium Ion Battery - Electric
8 (digit) Motor/Drive Unit 1 = Single Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction

No battery pack size. Hell, a Chevy Bolt will probably come up the same as above.

You might want to try Metromile. They're a new VC-backed outfit, I believe, and their model is a pay per mile billing system. You pay a base rate and then a per-mile rate, and they bill by the month with no contracts and no term. The premium on my Model S is $43 per month and 6.5 cents per mile (47, male, married, clean record, OC/SoCal, 3 car discount). This model makes sense for folks who don't drive a lot of miles. Metromile's customer service has been excellent when I've called them for billing and coverage questions, but I have no idea about the claims process since I haven't had any need for that (fingers crossed).

Reactions: acarlos1000
The premium on my Model S is $43 per month and 6.5 cents per mile (47, male, married, clean record, OC/SoCal, 3 car discount). This model makes sense for folks who don't drive a lot of miles.

On an annual basis, that's about the same as I'm paying for my S 75 (with a 4-car discount), 9,500 miles each annually. Looking forward, I think insurance companies are going to want you plug one their data collectors into your electronics so they can really invade your privacy.

You might want to try Metromile. They're a new VC-backed outfit, I believe, and their model is a pay per mile billing system. You pay a base rate and then a per-mile rate, and they bill by the month with no contracts and no term. The premium on my Model S is $43 per month and 6.5 cents per mile (47, male, married, clean record, OC/SoCal, 3 car discount). This model makes sense for folks who don't drive a lot of miles. Metromile's customer service has been excellent when I've called them for billing and coverage questions, but I have no idea about the claims process since I haven't had any need for that (fingers crossed).
Interesting. That's more than I pay to Progressive & the Model S is my only car so I'm not receiving a multi-car discount. That seems like a pretty high price.

Interesting. That's more than I pay to Progressive & the Model S is my only car so I'm not receiving a multi-car discount. That seems like a pretty high price.

Again, where you live, city, zip code, matters a lot for insurers. I would venture to say that an automobile in Minneapolis is less to insure for the same car in Los Angles. California generally has seven of the worst 10 cities in the U.S. for car thefts:

California cities lead nation in per capita car theft

Minneapolis isn't even on the radar compared to L.A. when it comes to car thefts. So ya, I would certainly expect L.A. to be higher.

OK, lots of stuff about insurance in this group and on FACEBOOK. Stay away from GEICO, once you have a claim it will be a nightmare...Not a single good news story about TESLA and GEICO... Progressive too... Who is your current insurance company? look for the TESLA OWNERS WORLD WIDE group on facebook, there has been several discussion about insurance in the past week.
I actually was rear ended and had no issue with Geico. They provided me with a Tesla approved body shop and from that point on, other than a few follow up calls between me and the bodyshop to coordinate on delivery of the parts i had no problem with Geico.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
Geico in New Jersey had no idea what to do with my S60D, they wanted ~$2500/yr for it alone! We talked to Progressive, which was less than one third of that! We pay a total of $2600/yr for two drivers and four cars. Tesla on its own is $762 / yr for good coverage with $500 deductible.

Morale of the story folks is to shop around, even if you are happy with the service you are receiving. You are under no obligation to switch and sometimes the price differential is striking. Now, if you are happy where you are, the price differential may not be worth switching (Allstate was consistently $20-$30 cheaper for me than Travelers in previous years, but I liked where I was). But sometimes, it is big (Progressive is saving me $650/year).