Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$1300. (I'm in NY) Originally they wanted $1400, so I was going to switch to Progressive. My BMW328xi is $1100. My coverages are pretty high though. 300/300 for liability. 100k for personal property, 300/300 for uninsured motorists. $500 deductible. Married, 38 with no kid drivers in the house. We both have clean records, although my wife did have an accident almost 5 years ago. I might raise my deductible to $1k or lower my coverage.

You should look into umbrella liability coverage. I have $1MM of coverage and it is only $500/year. It covers pretty much every kind of personal liability (other than professional liability) so any car I'm in, my house, etc. You have to keep minimum coverages on your cars and house, but those minimums are lower than what you mentioned above. Might save you some money and give you better coverage overall. Anyone with any amount of assets should really have an umbrella policy.

You should look into umbrella liability coverage. I have $1MM of coverage and it is only $500/year. It covers pretty much every kind of personal liability (other than professional liability) so any car I'm in, my house, etc. You have to keep minimum coverages on your cars and house, but those minimums are lower than what you mentioned above. Might save you some money and give you better coverage overall. Anyone with any amount of assets should really have an umbrella policy.

Thanks. GEICO actually required high limits. Ill look into others.

GEICO requires a minimum bodily injury limit of $300,000/$300,000 and a property damage limit of $100,000 on your auto policy to qualify for an umbrella policy.

Last edited:
Anyone using AAA? I am still waiting for their underwriter to approve my insurance (several weeks after I first applied). Apparently they classify it as an exotic. I am starting to get nervous although the customer support folks assure me my car is covered in the interim.

Progressive was least expensive for my 60D $996 per year. 500 deductible, 250k/500k/250k person/accident/property. 100k/300k person/accident uninsured motorist. +Roadside assistance +10k personal injury protection. I also have a 1m umbrella policy too.

Reactions: pjoseph
Anyone using AAA? I am still waiting for their underwriter to approve my insurance (several weeks after I first applied). Apparently they classify it as an exotic. I am starting to get nervous although the customer support folks assure me my car is covered in the interim.

I had them for years and the 60D was going to more than double our rate, which made no sense. They also rated it as a 90D which was odd.

I'm nearing 6 months with my Model S & just received my renewal offer from Progressive. My 6-month premium is decreasing by $4. I have never had a premium decrease before at renewal. I am still paying less to insure my Model S with Progressive than I paid to insure my Focus Electric. I still don't understand how that is possible...

I'm nearing 6 months with my Model S & just received my renewal offer from Progressive. My 6-month premium is decreasing by $4. I have never had a premium decrease before at renewal. I am still paying less to insure my Model S with Progressive than I paid to insure my Focus Electric. I still don't understand how that is possible...

The car is safer in a crash. That's a part of it.