TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by strykeroz, Jun 4, 2019.

1. houdini

houdini Member

JUts got an advertising email from ING for car insurance. Filled it all out (no Model 3 option so tried Model s). Took 10 minutes and then I got this:

Sorry, we can't offer you insurance right now
    Due to our underwriting criteria we are unable to offer you insurance at the current time.

• Funny x 1
  2. EVForeVer

EVForeVer New Member

Got a quote for Model 3 performance $990 per year full Comprehensive. NSW
    Huddle.com.au

3. Lozza12

Lozza12 Member

Good to know thanks Matt. Insurance was one area I was a bit worried about.

Good to see you keeping it real on Stuff as well! So many mindless haters out there.

4. RossBrindleyAU

I have been trying to find a reasonable price for my MS P85D and have been quoted as high as $5,500 from Allianz and the best was Shannons at $2,250. Suncorp was over $3,000. All based on garaged car, 15k per year, full license with no points and no at fault claims.

I tried Huddle but they do not currently offer cover on the "P" 85D for some reason.

5. zjrobinson

zjrobinson Member

Wow - I got something similar. ~$1050 with the excess-free windshield replacement option. That's for comprehensive and a $900 excess. Hobart, Tasmania parked in carport.

Half the price of the Suncorp quote!

6. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Haha, I'm famous!

7. Pieter2019

Pieter2019 New Member

Windscreen is normally named specific, what about the glass roof of a Model 3?
    I live in Queensland and get summer hail storms.

8. Wol747

Wol747 Member

Tesla have replied to my concern over insurance on a Model S order with:

>>I can understand insurance being important, as you want to make sure you're covered. Tesla owners in Australia are able to find reasonably priced insurance at the moment with existing companies, but we are working towards relaunching InsureMyTesla in the future.<<

9. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Generally “Windscreen Cover” is specifically that and doesn’t apply to any other glass breakage.
    If your car is hail damaged enough to smash the glass roof the rest of the car will be heavily dented and probably a write off.

10. Grenadine

Grenadine Member

Huddle refused to quote on a M3P for me today "system not ready". In Victoria.

11. m4rtin

m4rtin Member

I just tried Huddle online for M3P in NSW and after filling in way too many details...

"Oops
    Unfortunately, we are unable to cover you online right now."

Not sure if it's me, the website or ?

---

Only just noticed someone else tried today too, post above. Was scanning for possible insurers from page one onwards lol

12. OzVic

OzVic Member

Commonwealth Comprehensive Car Insurance: (current CBA bank customer, may include discount).

Performance model: (P3D-, but it doesn't distinguish), NSW.
    Agreed value: $95489
    Excess: $700

$1718.83 annually

or

$1770.35 with Glass excess removal (says windscreen or window glass...might be able to argue that's the roof as well ;)

Uninsured for less than 30 year olds .. $1632.90

Increase excess to $1700: Premium $1126.69

Market value: $1446.00 with $700 excess, $997.72 with $1700 excess

Includes two years new for old.

• Like x 1
  13. OzVic

OzVic Member

I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't go market value for the first two years. Then change it to agreed value.

Am I missing something?

14. PJF000

PJF000 Member

You need to read the PDS of whomever you go with. Then you won't miss anything.
    Generally, you will pay less premium for market value than agreed value. That should tell you that you will not always get what you think. If the insurance cannot replace "new for old" (read PDS) then what do they give you as a payout? (read PDS).

• Informative x 1
  15. OzVic

OzVic Member

Yeah, it would be market value if not available in Australia but I can't see the Model 3 not being available for the next two years.

They are the only insurer to actually give an online quote on P3D so far! Will check out some others and actually make phone calls when we get closer to delivery.

16. ZorroTheS

ZorroTheS Member

#36 ZorroTheS, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Wowsers over $4400 for insurance on my 2018 Model S 100D through Shannons. My broker informed me that QBE is no longer covering Teslas so I tried Shannons while I'm waiting for them to source a new insurer.

Crossed fingers that the new one wont be that much - last year it was $2600.

Edit : And Huddle quotes $2,300 for it. It pays to shop around...

• Informative x 1
  17. sabretooth

sabretooth Member

Suncorp came in at $1350 for me, AAMI about $1400 and Shannons at $1650.

For a SR+ in QLD.

I was surprised the Shannon's quote was that bad. My history is great and my age isn't one insurance companies care about.

18. Lozza12

Lozza12 Member

Here in NZ I called AMI re full comprehensive cover for an SR+ based on my fairly clean driving history. They are not my current insurer.

Mandatory excess: $2,000
    Policy premium: $1,200 pa
    Windsreen repair: $500 excess
    Windscreen replacement $750 excess
    No add-ons selected such as Roadside Assist.

19. Haza

Haza Member

For the Model 3 performance. 35 year old male driver with no accidents.

CBA insurance quoted me $2159 with $850 excess (and uninsured for under 30s ticked).
    RACV is a bit cheaper at $1918 with $815 excess. And that's with no multiyear discount.

20. mrpseudonym

mrpseudonym Member

Does anyone have any claims experience with huddle? Their underwriters are Hollard and reviews of them are not glowing.