Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JUts got an advertising email from ING for car insurance. Filled it all out (no Model 3 option so tried Model s). Took 10 minutes and then I got this:

Sorry, we can't offer you insurance right now
Due to our underwriting criteria we are unable to offer you insurance at the current time.

• Funny
Reactions: m4rtin
For the New Zealanders reading, I got a quote from AMI for the performance. Annual premium was $1385 and the excess was $900. They wouldn't do no excess, no claim window cover due to the glass roof, though. I didn't think that was all that bad for a 33 year old with one car park ding claim in the last 3 years. It was only $85 more than I paid for the premium on my 2007 Nissan Skyline.
Good to know thanks Matt. Insurance was one area I was a bit worried about.

Good to see you keeping it real on Stuff as well! So many mindless haters out there.

Tesla have replied to my concern over insurance on a Model S order with:

>>I can understand insurance being important, as you want to make sure you're covered. Tesla owners in Australia are able to find reasonably priced insurance at the moment with existing companies, but we are working towards relaunching InsureMyTesla in the future.<<

Windscreen is normally named specific, what about the glass roof of a Model 3?
I live in Queensland and get summer hail storms.
Generally “Windscreen Cover” is specifically that and doesn’t apply to any other glass breakage.
If your car is hail damaged enough to smash the glass roof the rest of the car will be heavily dented and probably a write off.

Got a quote for Model 3 performance $990 per year full Comprehensive. NSW
Huddle.com.au

I just tried Huddle online for M3P in NSW and after filling in way too many details...

"Oops
Unfortunately, we are unable to cover you online right now."

Not sure if it's me, the website or ?

---

Only just noticed someone else tried today too, post above. Was scanning for possible insurers from page one onwards lol

Commonwealth Comprehensive Car Insurance: (current CBA bank customer, may include discount).

Performance model: (P3D-, but it doesn't distinguish), NSW.
Agreed value: $95489
Excess: $700

$1718.83 annually

or

$1770.35 with Glass excess removal (says windscreen or window glass...might be able to argue that's the roof as well ;)

Uninsured for less than 30 year olds .. $1632.90

Increase excess to $1700: Premium $1126.69

Market value: $1446.00 with $700 excess, $997.72 with $1700 excess

Includes two years new for old.

I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't go market value for the first two years. Then change it to agreed value.

Am I missing something?

You need to read the PDS of whomever you go with. Then you won't miss anything.
Generally, you will pay less premium for market value than agreed value. That should tell you that you will not always get what you think. If the insurance cannot replace "new for old" (read PDS) then what do they give you as a payout? (read PDS).

• Informative
That should tell you that you will not always get what you think. If the insurance cannot replace "new for old" (read PDS) then what do they give you as a payout? (read PDS).

Yeah, it would be market value if not available in Australia but I can't see the Model 3 not being available for the next two years.

They are the only insurer to actually give an online quote on P3D so far! Will check out some others and actually make phone calls when we get closer to delivery.

Wowsers over $4400 for insurance on my 2018 Model S 100D through Shannons. My broker informed me that QBE is no longer covering Teslas so I tried Shannons while I'm waiting for them to source a new insurer.

Crossed fingers that the new one wont be that much - last year it was $2600.

Edit : And Huddle quotes $2,300 for it. It pays to shop around...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
Here in NZ I called AMI re full comprehensive cover for an SR+ based on my fairly clean driving history. They are not my current insurer.

Mandatory excess: $2,000
Policy premium: $1,200 pa
Windsreen repair: $500 excess
Windscreen replacement $750 excess
No add-ons selected such as Roadside Assist.

For the Model 3 performance. 35 year old male driver with no accidents.

CBA insurance quoted me $2159 with $850 excess (and uninsured for under 30s ticked).
RACV is a bit cheaper at $1918 with $815 excess. And that's with no multiyear discount.