Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior refresh coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

austinEV

May 16, 2013
Austin
Wanted to know what people think of the theory that the interior is due for a refresh. It is widely expected that the model 3 will have a HUD. Since the guidance has been that the S/X will also get any neat features that the 3 will have, the model S/X is also expected to get any such HUD.

I have heard speculation that if they are redoing the dash to incorporate the HUD they would also do an interior refresh, analogous to the "facelift" change to the exterior.

What do you all think? And is there any actual evidence for this?

Wanted to know what people think of the theory that the interior is due for a refresh. It is widely expected that the model 3 will have a HUD. Since the guidance has been that the S/X will also get any neat features that the 3 will have, the model S/X is also expected to get any such HUD.

I have heard speculation that if they are redoing the dash to incorporate the HUD they would also do an interior refresh, analogous to the "facelift" change to the exterior.

What do you all think? And is there any actual evidence for this?

Gee, I hope not... I really like the interior the way it is. There are a few improvements that could be made, but overall I think it is the perfect marriage of minimalism and function.

Gee, I hope not... I really like the interior the way it is. There are a few improvements that could be made, but overall I think it is the perfect marriage of minimalism and function.

For me, I hope there is. I am pretty disappointed with the interior for a $150k car. It needs more refinement. It's a fantastic first attempt, but it's time to move into the world of the big boys with big toys range and not the $50k luxury range. Besides, the interior is starting to look a little dated when compared to other cars in the class. It needs more wow factor, like it had in 2012.

For me, I hope there is. I am pretty disappointed with the interior for a $150k car. It needs more refinement. It's a fantastic first attempt, but it's time to move into the world of the big boys with big toys range and not the $50k luxury range. Besides, the interior is starting to look a little dated when compared to other cars in the class. It needs more wow factor, like it had in 2012.
ed255f28806fd6b5a51920ffc134ca2b.jpg

Something like this?

And is there any actual evidence for this?
None that I am aware. Just because Tesla hired that Volvo guy doesn't mean there is going to be a major interior overhaul. That said, at some point in the future the interior, and the exterior, will change. When that will be I have no idea. Next year, in two yeas, in three years...

I love the S and X interior just as they are.

It's not a $150,000 car. It starts at half that price, and everyone knows it's for the battery and EV drivetrain, not for the interior. Anyone who pays close to $150,000 for a Tesla is doing so for acceleration bragging rights and more range, not for the interior of a "$150,000 car".

Anyway I love the minimalist interior. I like mine even better than the current cars, as I prefer the open center to the console.

It's not a $150,000 car. It starts at half that price, and everyone knows it's for the battery and EV drivetrain, not for the interior. Anyone who pays close to $150,000 for a Tesla is doing so for acceleration bragging rights and more range, not for the interior of a "$150,000 car".

Anyway I love the minimalist interior. I like mine even better than the current cars, as I prefer the open center to the console.

I've got to agree. A $150k Tesla is like a $40k Ford Focus or a $60k Mustang.

Possible? Absolutely. But you've got to remember what you're starting with.

I have been driving old economy cars for a long time. The Tesla interior is fantastic, at least to me and others who have been in it. Seats are nice, the seat heater works well and the screen and dash displays are great. The alcatrana is also great.

I also looked at the Audi RS7 and didn't think the interior was any better than Tesla. All the clutter and the small screen made it worse IMO.

What would the benefit would be for a HUD in a vehicle that is mostly going in the direction of essentially an auto pilot driven vehicle?

What information would you like to see being projected into the windshield?
In context with the Model 3, the same stuff that is in the dashboard today on the Model S/X: Speed, range/battery left, nav directions, power in/out.

Keep in mind the Model 3 does not have a traditional dashboard.

If we are talking HUD, I would like the option to have the whole screen have augmented reality. I know initially that sounds kind of ... ludicrous ... but realistically, it's not that far-fetched. Show what the autopilot is seeing overlayed on the windscreen, along with vital car statistics, etc...

I'm sure there's laws governing that sort of thing at the moment, but if it were limited to full autonomy operation only, then I don't think it would run afoul of that. Hell, I'd pony up another $150k for a new Tesla with that feature set for sure.

Agreed. Been in a 5-series from 2012 this week while on vacation, and I'm just reminded how inferior the Model S interior is to other luxury brands. Honestly, about on part with a Toyota Camry, minus the 17-inch display.

Reactions: oktane
Agreed. Been in a 5-series from 2012 this week while on vacation, and I'm just reminded how inferior the Model S interior is to other luxury brands. Honestly, about on part with a Toyota Camry, minus the 17-inch display.

This is obviously a matter of opinion and taste. I happen to abhor the 5 series interior and don't get me started on the MB S-class (which I have seen described multiple times a the epitome of luxury and class). I have been in my sister's Camry as well as a co-workers and thought the interior was fine but nothing special. On the other hand, I love the interior of the Model S and have since my first one in 2013. I just took delivery a few days ago and still think the interior is fantastic. I don't see the need yet for a refresh. I have definitely not grown tired of it. The past year I have been driving a Porsche 911 (991). Everyone raves about Porsche's exceptional 'fit and finish', but my new Model S feels on the same level. I prefer the style of the Model S interior (minimalist with some flair) to that of the 911 (typical with a chronograph). My parents have a late model Audi Q5 and I generally like the interior, but I prefer the Model S and don't see that the Model S suffers in comparison to the quality or style of Audi.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Victoria
This is obviously a matter of opinion and taste. I happen to abhor the 5 series interior and don't get me started on the MB S-class (which I have seen described multiple times a the epitome of luxury and class). I have been in my sister's Camry as well as a co-workers and thought the interior was fine but nothing special. On the other hand, I love the interior of the Model S and have since my first one in 2013. I just took delivery a few days ago and still think the interior is fantastic. I don't see the need yet for a refresh. I have definitely not grown tired of it. The past year I have been driving a Porsche 911 (991). Everyone raves about Porsche's exceptional 'fit and finish', but my new Model S feels on the same level. I prefer the style of the Model S interior (minimalist with some flair) to that of the 911 (typical with a chronograph). My parents have a late model Audi Q5 and I generally like the interior, but I prefer the Model S and don't see that the Model S suffers in comparison to the quality or style of Audi.

Agreed, some like simple minimalist beauty and some like chrome gilded Vegas-style luxury. I think with Tesla you are buying into the idea functional minimalism, that is Tesla's niche and they will probably stay with it. There will be plenty of other EV's in the future that will fill in the luxury segment.

Reactions: EinSV