Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is one pedal braking. Hit the left regen paddle a few times and it eventually ends up in 1-pedal mode.

Nobody should be paying for markup on SE or SEL trims. There are literally 3600+ cars arriving in two weeks. The Limited is still very rare. Dealers get a few whereas I’ve seen dealers get 30-40 SEs and SELs.

I found a website that scans for local inventory (that’s not reserved)

There is one pedal braking. Hit the left regen paddle a few times and it eventually ends up in 1-pedal mode.

Nobody should be paying for markup on SE or SEL trims. There are literally 3600+ cars arriving in two weeks. The Limited is still very rare. Dealers get a few whereas I’ve seen dealers get 30-40 SEs and SELs.

I found a website that scans for local inventory (that’s not reserved)

Thanks for letting me know about the 1-pedal mode. The sales guy only knew about three regen settings in the menu, and I set it for the strongest regen but even that was only slight. As I mentioned, I noticed the regen paddles when looking over the car, but totally forgot to try them.

These dealer markups are very frustrating, and that's one big advantage a Tesla has although as we know, the MY has gone up a lot in price over the last year. At least you don't have to search all over for a reasonable dealer when you get a Tesla.

Thanks for letting me know about the 1-pedal mode. The sales guy only knew about three regen settings in the menu, and I set it for the strongest regen but even that was only slight. As I mentioned, I noticed the regen paddles when looking over the car, but totally forgot to try them.

These dealer markups are very frustrating, and that's one big advantage a Tesla has although as we know, the MY has gone up a lot in price over the last year. At least you don't have to search all over for a reasonable dealer when you get a Tesla.
re: markups - my guess is they won't last long. Look at the Palisade, they were gouging, at least around here, now I see 46 in stock at one dealer.

I test drove an AWD SEL Ionic 5 today in Colorado Springs and was very impressed with it. Compared to the Model Y, the ride is much smoother and the cabin was very quiet. The steering didn't have as much of a road feel, though, and the Model Y requires fewer turns of the wheel. The sales guy said it has double glass throughout, but I only confirmed it on the front windows. The interior seemed higher quality and the displays were nice. The rear seat seemed at least as roomy so far as knee room goes, but I'm not sure about the elbow room (plenty for two). I liked that the rear seat not only had plenty of adjustment for the seatback, but the whole rear seat can slide back and forth a lot which would help storage space in the rear. Front seats were very comfortable and the passenger seat also had lumbar. However, the frunk is much smaller than the MY and there is only a tiny space under the rear floor. Visibility was better, especially for the rear window view. It didn't have much regen braking (no one pedal driving so far as I know), but has regen paddles which I forgot to test.

I'm seriously considering one, but not with the $10K "market adjustment" that particular dealer had (plus a $699 dealer handling fee). I haven't checked around a whole lot yet (just sent some emails through cars.com and autotrader), but I already found three dealers in the Denver area who charge much less over MSRP; one at $5K, one at $1500 (and no dealer handling fee), and one with no markup other than you have to finance through them (though you only have to make four payments and then can cancel). Of course the problem is I can get one very soon from the $10K markup guy while the others already have all their cars allocated and it might take three months to get one from them. At least the $10K markup guy seems willing to negotiate. We'll see. The Ionic 5 gets the $7500 federal tax credit (plus $2500 in Colorado) which makes the Ionic 5 SEL cost much less than a MY, and the Limited version comes out costing less as well so long as the markup isn't too much (even considering the MY also qualifies for the $2500 Colorado refundable tax credit).

By the way, the Hyundai warranty is amazing (I think Kia offers the same) which helps a lot for getting a first year model. 5 yr/60K miles overall, 10 yr/100K powertrain, 10 yr/100K electric system (I think that covers the battery), 7 yr unlimited miles anti-perforation (whatever that is), 3 yr/36K complimentary maintenance, 5 yr unlimited roadside assistance.
i guess youre not worried about the low ground clearance? i suppose you have a more proper car for the snow?

i guess youre not worried about the low ground clearance? i suppose you have a more proper car for the snow?
I do want good ground clearance, but neither the Ionic 5 nor the MY are the best. I'm seeing 6.6 in for the MY, and 6.3 in (16 cm) for the Ionic 5 (though I see lower values at some sites, so not sure). The Ionic 5 numbers vary and I'm not sure if it's due to ignorance or differences between US/Europe models or AWD vs. RWD. But I do have a truck to use if necessary.

Among the sedan/SUV EVs, the best I've seen is just over 8 in for the similar Subaru or Toyota. I know the trucks will be much better.

re: markups - my guess is they won't last long. Look at the Palisade, they were gouging, at least around here, now I see 46 in stock at one dealer.
I agree, at least for the Ionic 5. I'm seeing a lot of them coming into Colorado, and Colorado wasn't a full EV state just a couple of years ago (not sure if it is now either). Back in 2020 I went to test drive a Kona EV and Niro EV and the dealers only had one each, which were already sold.

In addition, the dealer who is charging the most over MSRP here is the one with cars available while the others I checked had already sold all of their Ionic 5s, except for one SEL I saw. So I think the greediest dealers will have to adjust their prices soon.

Maybe Tesla will have to adjust the MY price back down soon as well? But don't think the Hyundai and Kia EVs are yet available in a lot of states.

I do want good ground clearance, but neither the Ionic 5 nor the MY are the best. I'm seeing 6.6 in for the MY, and 6.3 in (16 cm) for the Ionic 5 (though I see lower values at some sites, so not sure). The Ionic 5 numbers vary and I'm not sure if it's due to ignorance or differences between US/Europe models or AWD vs. RWD. But I do have a truck to use if necessary.

Among the sedan/SUV EVs, the best I've seen is just over 8 in for the similar Subaru or Toyota. I know the trucks will be much better.
Don't really get this overindexing on ground clearance. Plenty of vehicles with less clearance get by in snow and mountain country with the right traction tires. My little GTI with snow tires is a mountain goat, and it has very little clearance. The only risk is a big chunk of ice or something taking out the plastic oil pan in that particular model. But there should be little /no concern with EV's and the their skateboard undercarriage as long as you're not driving like a moron IMHO.

I would get a Polestar 2 over the Hyundai if I was shopping other than a Tesla. I Love the look of the Polestar even though range is lacking. The only problem I fear is that Polestar could be out of business in a few years or gobbled up by one of the larger automakers. I don't think Volvo wants much to do with them since there is barely any marketing out there.
One problem with the Polestar, is that Bjorn did a video on the Polestar 2, and he showed that unlike Tesla and Mercedes, when you are charging, and it is estimating how much charge you'll need to reach your destination, it does that calculation assuming you will drive exactly the speed limit... Tesla and Mercedes used your driving habits to come up with a more accurate estimate. Bjorn showed that the Polestar was so far off it wasn't even funny. Finished charging saying he would arrive with 18%, but actually arriving near 5%. He said the Tesla and the Mercedes were near spot on with it's estimates.

Model y has a $500 lift kit .. I'm sure the Hyundai might get one someday

By the way, the Hyundai warranty is amazing (I think Kia offers the same) which helps a lot for getting a first year model. 5 yr/60K miles overall, 10 yr/100K powertrain, 10 yr/100K electric system (I think that covers the battery), 7 yr unlimited miles anti-perforation (whatever that is), 3 yr/36K complimentary maintenance, 5 yr unlimited roadside assistance.

Thanks for the first hand report, after reading a few pages of this thread I read the linked page and was shocked that it was a few paragraphs with some factual information... it had been portrayed as if it unfairly trashed Tesla. Anyway, 7 years unlimited miles anti perforation means that the car will not "rust through" in less than seven years... this used to be a big deal when I was a kid and a new car would have holes rusted through the body work in 3 or 4 years.

Keith

Thanks for the first hand report, after reading a few pages of this thread I read the linked page and was shocked that it was a few paragraphs with some factual information... it had been portrayed as if it unfairly trashed Tesla. Anyway, 7 years unlimited miles anti perforation means that the car will not "rust through" in less than seven years... this used to be a big deal when I was a kid and a new car would have holes rusted through the body work in 3 or 4 years.

Keith
Speaking of corrosion warranty, one thing that is interesting, is that one of the reasons I always bought my cars out of state, is because a lot of the local dealers always installed something called the "NW Protection Package" for extra cost (dealer markup), and refused to not install it. It included an underbody coating. However, on most all my cars if you read the terms and conditions of the corrosion warranty, it explicitly says that an underbody coating will void the corrosion warranty, lol. Presumably because it will plug/block drain holes.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight and Fourdoor
I've test driven the three trims (SE AWD, SEL RWD, and Limited AWD) and the Limited is great value for the money. The other trims... less so.

I've always argued that the Mach-E and Model Y were poor family SUVs because of their harsh suspension and the alternative (ID.4) is a glitchy mess. Here we have a new EV contender for a long-range wagon/crossover that is affordable and drives amazingly well.

I was SUPPOSED to buy the Limited AWD yesterday after my test drive but Tesla dropped a Model Y on me (delivery Wed) so I will not be considering an Ioniq 5 for at least a month or two.

Here's an Out of Spec comparison with the Mach-E:

I love auto pilot and that’s my biggest worry with other cars. Feel like no one comes close to it.

BlueCruise works really well IMO. It’s not FSD though.

My RAV4 Prime cruise control is just meh. It works.. barely.

The problem with current Tesla AP is phantom braking that I have not experienced with other systems(which are dumber except BC). Will be trying it out when I pick up my Y this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight
BlueCruise works really well IMO. It’s not FSD though.

My RAV4 Prime cruise control is just meh. It works.. barely.

The problem with current Tesla AP is phantom braking that I have no experienced with other systems(which are dumber except BC). Will be trying it out when I pick up my Y this week.
Iv had zero phantom breaking on my new model 3 but I also live in Arizona. New roads and plenty of space. I love AP. #1 Selling feature for me

No. And, no, the EPA DOES NOT usually test most vehicles.

You can read thru The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver that was written way before modern BEVs. Testing at the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory | US EPA even says
"Most testing is performed by auto manufacturers at their own facilities. EPA then audits the data and performs its own testing on some of the vehicles to confirm the manufacturers' results."

How Vehicles Are Tested says
"Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a series of tests specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 15%–20% of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory."

Detailed Test Information has a high level overview of the test schedules and a link to what's done for EVs and PHEVs at https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/EPA test procedure for EVs-PHEVs-11-14-2017.pdf.

And, Seminole posted about 2-cycles vs. 5-cycles in post #59.
Beyond the high level overviews at the above, due to a Hyundai MPG class action lawsuit settlement, they put out some other info that they felt could lead to variable results. Examples of that below:

Automakers can (and likely do) push the boundaries in order to receive better results while still staying within the rules. How Fuel Economy Is Measured (And Why You Get Different MPGs) makes a reference to the above dispute between Hyundai and the EPA.

Last edited: