Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionity Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would hope my home charger would last a lot more than 5 years, bearing in mind it’s not really a charger as such, just a contactor. The charger (that doesn’t the AC/DC conversion) is in the car :)

It is though a mechanical part that many people use multiple times a day (unlike a socket in a house that you might plug into once) and it will wear.

And I figure in 5 yrs most might buy a new car, and buy then there might be a new plug type, or you might have a car supporting V2G/V2H necessitating a new

Interesting that doc doesn't mention Tesla in its list of supporting Plug&Charge
The machines are made by ABB and technically capable. Ionity aren’t the first as Fastned already use Plug & Charge for their high power units. It just depends on if they design it not to work for Tesla’s. Might be a convenient design or technical reason or don’t want to share their software implementation. I very much doubt they’ll exclude Tesla though- they’re very keen to promote the fact they’re an open network and they already have Tesla customers. The EU might also lean on them given the public funding they receive.

And free for a week: IONITY to provide free charging at new Glasgow site during COP26

Currently no other Ionity builds in progress in the UK. Sorry VAG customers. Probably waiting for HM Gov’s £500m rapid charging fund so it might be some time before we see some more.

The "advantage" of the absurdly high pricing of Ionity charging is that it automatically reduces pressure on their small number of stalls. Only people who really need rapid charging are going to use them. Making them free may be shooting themselves in the foot. A non EV owner seeing a stack of cars queuing to get a charge is just going to confirm their worst fears.

The "advantage" of the absurdly high pricing of Ionity charging is that it automatically reduces pressure on their small number of stalls. Only people who really need rapid charging are going to use them. Making them free may be shooting themselves in the foot. A non EV owner seeing a stack of cars queuing to get a charge is just going to confirm their worst fears.
I've had the benefit of using them free in the past, usually Cambridge and Leeds services, according to an Engineer doing repairs, it's usually when 50% of the chargers fault it changes to free dispense.

Ionity to install 380 high speed chargers at all 33 Village Hotels sites across the UK

Good news for me as there's a Village Hotel near my son's Student Hall in Swansea. With each of these being about 10 chargers it's a good number of new useful locations, although they are rather clustered rather than evenly spread across the country. Good news for the North with 12 sites from Chester/Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds/Hull.

Reactions: Sean.
Ionity to install 380 high speed chargers at all 33 Village Hotels sites across the UK

Good news for me as there's a Village Hotel near my son's Student Hall in Swansea. With each of these being about 10 chargers it's a good number of new useful locations, although they are rather clustered rather than evenly spread across the country. Good news for the North with 12 sites from Chester/Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds/Hull.
Given the prices of Ionity I think I would stick to the superchargers on the M4 personally.
At least that Village hotel carpark doesn't have ANPR cameras to deal with, or at least it did not when I was there last a couple of years ago, but I bet some of them do
What I want from Hotels is 7kw overnight chargers.

Reactions: djtaylor
Given the prices of Ionity I think I would stick to the superchargers on the M4 personally.
At least that Village hotel carpark doesn't have ANPR cameras to deal with, or at least it did not when I was there last a couple of years ago, but I bet some of them do
What I want from Hotels is 7kw overnight chargers.
Ionity are no more than all the other public networks these days, often less if you use Electroverse or other aggregator.

Normally I would agree that having a rapid charger at a hotel is a waste compared to multiple 7kW chargers, I see this more as there being a ultra rapid charging hub in their carpark. With 10+ chargers a resident is likely to get on a charger, and after 30 mins or whatever move to a normal space, Non residents will be coming and going.. SuperChrgers are often in hotel car parks, same thing.

Reactions: ringi