Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS definitions of what's a car vs SUV by manufacturer for $55k vs $80k price limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to distract from the super interesting off-topic food banter, but:

As there are multiple threads on this subject, I’m cross-posting my analysis here of how the $55k vs $80k distinction is being made.

Based on this section of vehicle code, everything seems to match up.

Bro stop, I need to hear more about the cost of bagels in New Mexico. Get this insightful info outta here!

You are either running a server farm or your house is at least 10k sqft 😀
Its a big house.
Time to shut down your crypto mining operation.
I shut that down and sold it off end of sept. It used to be ~$4500 / month.

Screenshot_20230101_165616_Drive.jpg

Thanks for pointing it out. I get it now. 7 seat MY gets a van rating. And both MYP and MYLR with 5 seats are "cars". I always wondered why a Model Y was considered an SUV because the ground clearance was so low compared to any other ICE SUV. I hope it goads Tesla to using tires with much more wall height and also help raise the ground clearance. I generally avoid using my Tesla with more than 3" of fresh snow and instead use our Lexus 450 Rxh SUV which has much higher tire wall height and a tad more weight too.
Actually the Model Y (not P) has similar ground clearance as the Ford Escape PHEV.

This is the sort of fodder that gives conservative media and EV detractors everything they need to perpetuate their BS - privileged whining about how “unfair” it is to apply long-standing rules about what is and isn’t an actual utility vehicle.

I do agree that the rules are stupid as written and there’s little defense of having different MSRP limits for different “types” of passenger vehicle. But throwing out claims of anti-Tesla government corruption is asinine. The clearance rules that define utility vehicles have been enshrined in code for decades. Model Y fails all five of them. It’s a tall car. Just like the Mustang Mach E.

Humans are the worst type of trash.

No re-use, but sometimes recycled. I agree that their footprint while alive can be downright depressing.

perverse scheme to turn real energy into heat and imaginary money by using our vast computational resources to endlessly perform meaningless calculations
I hear ya, but just out of curiosity I wonder what the embedded costs of Gold mining were back when currencies were tied to that metal. And before you say 'who cares, they are not now,' I'll point out that the current monetary system without a backstop carries its own high freight costs in terms of global risks.

This is all way beyond my pay grade, but I am a firm believer in unintended consequences.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and ucmndd