Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS definitions of what's a car vs SUV by manufacturer for $55k vs $80k price limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Food for family of 4/5 easily costs $2k-$3k/month. My electric bill alone is double that ~$800/month. You're forgetting phones. Thats another $200/month. Prop/school taxes, thats another $1k a month. Tuition? I'm not even touching all the little things that add up in daily life.
$800 a month for electric? Damn that is high. You're a prime candidate for solar panels.

Food for family of 4/5 easily costs $2k-$3k/month. My electric bill alone is double that ~$800/month. You're forgetting phones. Thats another $200/month. Prop/school taxes, thats another $1k a month. Tuition? I'm not even touching all the little things that add up in daily life.
The $150k limit means a single parent household. Throw in 3-4 kids and yeah, likely less able to afford a new car esp with a $3.5k house payment.

$8,750 a month net
$1,250 retirement (10% gross)
$2,500 housing
$400 utilities
$1,400 auto loan (70k loan @ 4.5% + 6% sales tax)

If we figure that the monthly payments occur for about 1/2 the ownership period then the average monthly payment is ~ $700. Home fueling is much cheaper. For suburbanites with long commutes I guesstimate $300 savings a month in fuel. So high fallutin Tesla ownership might be $400 a month more than some miserable ICE, or about the same as some crappy ICE with a logo the neighbors used to envy.

Last edited:

Huh.
My 2 person family spends $600 a month on food, $60 on electric, $30 on phones, and $300 on Prop/school taxes. We sum to $1,260 and you sum to $4,500 a month.

I'm waiting for a Faux News headline: Ridiculous Lifestyle Cannot Afford Testa !!!

This illogical list just proves that there is no real definition of a “SUV”. The fact that the 5-seat ID4 is an SUV, but the 5-seat Y is not, is utterly ridiculous. Add in the fact that the 7-seat Y is an SUV, but not the 5-seat version is insane.
This is the same government that argued that a tomato is a vegetable and not a fruit. Doesn’t surprise me one bit. The only thing that is consistent is the government's inconsistency.

Not sure what your point is.

My point is that the same food is not that different in price, the big differences occur from what food is bought and where. You can buy a bagel for about a dollar in bulk and bring it from home, or you can buy a bagel for $5 along with a smile from your fav barista. My son lives in Madison Wi and I think spends $30 - $50 a day on "food." How ? Well, it is made by others and brought to him at home.

It is always the same in these discussions -- people conflate cost of commodities and basics with cost of lifestyle. I do have to correct my earlier post: we pay $30/month for 3 phone lines, not two. From a national chain that charges the same in NYC as it does Albuquerque.If a single person grossing 150k a year cannot "afford" a Tesla, the proof is in the bar bill.

Last edited:
Not to distract from the super interesting off-topic food banter, but:

As there are multiple threads on this subject, I’m cross-posting my analysis here of how the $55k vs $80k distinction is being made.

Based on this section of vehicle code, everything seems to match up.

Tesla has some tough choices to make. I say make 7 seat standard across the line and let folks opt out if they want. That would be cheaper than discounting the 5 seat models to qualify for the credit. Tesla has a bit of a demand problem so they need incentives.
Honesty, remember Tesla has a quite substantial profit margin built into the current price paid. Even after the $7500 (the price increase for inflation/supply chain is far greater than 7.5k). If I was Tesla, I’d be focusing on making my margin on items which have almost zero marginal cost (software enabled purchases).

So sell a sub 55k MY, non USS, non-radar. Remove even autopilot on freeways. Basic suspension. Basic cameras. Really make it something a middle class family would buy in that qualifying income range to lug kids around, Costco etc. compete with a Prius etc.

Then offer basic autopilot for few thousand of people want it.

Then offer a higher end version (aka tech version) with HD radar, extra long range batteries/faster charging (4680), USS, suspension, etc. Nicer interior finishes. Only this version would be FSD/EAP capable (separate software add on). Folks who can afford the higher price range at 60-70k, don’t want to jump to 100+k for a MX, and probably income won’t qualify anyway can purchase this.

Reactions: 240vPlug
The way this can be resolved is either of the two.
1. Legislation provides rebates for cars costing $55 K or less. For some reason IRS has assumed MYP is an SUV (even though it sits lower in height than an MYLR) but not MYLR. Tesla needs to challenge the classification of an MYP as an SUV but not MYLR. If they do not do so, MYLR demand will collapse and people will change their order to MYP. Action will start as early as next week. I am surprised not having seen ANY statement from Tesla. I guess Elon is busy tweeting and being the Chief Twit (he defined it himself, not slur here).
2. Tesla should never have priced the base car MYLR, and then added the dual motor AWD as an "option" even while NOT selling the RWD in the US! Totally insane. No idea why they did that. Anyway, they made their bed. They need to just sell MYLR AWD as a model not an option.

I feel bad for anyone who is expecting delivery in January for a 5 seater MYLR. I personally would have changed my booking to MYP, even though it has lower ground clearance than most other "SUV"s.

For some reason IRS has assumed MYP is an SUV (even though it sits lower in height than an MYLR) but not MYLR. Tesla needs to challenge the classification of an MYP as an SUV but not MYLR.
The IRS didn’t assume anything. Tesla submitted info stating which of their cars qualify. See my post above - the 3-row 7 seat variants don’t qualify as utility vehicles - they qualify under the rules that define vans. MYP only qualifies at the $80k MSRP limit, as with the MYLR, if it has the third row option.

5 seat MYP and MYLR are both “cars” at the $55k limit.

Last edited: