Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 30 amps enough for charging? (Condo Owner)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my LEAF and now my i3 REX I charge using 110 standard outlet. With my Model S I had dual chargers for 80 amp charging and thats what I needed. At the time I was doing 300 miles daily.
If the Model 3 has the dual charger option and you pay for that option then why not use the 80 amp. You should get HOA approval first before committing to the option. It might add value to the condo later for resale and add value to the car when traveling using destination chargers that are 80 amp.

With my LEAF and now my i3 REX I charge using 110 standard outlet. With my Model S I had dual chargers for 80 amp charging and thats what I needed. At the time I was doing 300 miles daily.
If the Model 3 has the dual charger option and you pay for that option then why not use the 80 amp. You should get HOA approval first before committing to the option. It might add value to the condo later for resale and add value to the car when traveling using destination chargers that are 80 amp.
I have dual chargers and have only had 2 opportunities to charge at 80 amps. Both were in Wyoming. I agree that a 300 mi commute would make an 80 amp charger a necessity. Although I have found my 30 amp Blink to be more than adequate, I could get by using level 1 charging.

Install a 14-50 plug and the 30 amp breaker will limit the charging to 24 amps at 240 volts. As others have said this should be more than enough for your needs. By installing the 14-50 plug you will not need a separate adapter.
Code violation. You can't plug a device rated at 50A into a 14-50 on a breaker smaller than 50A. The breaker and wiring for outlet must be rated for the appliance's nameplate load.

FYI - here are the current charging options available from Tesla — Model S > Charging and Adapters

upload_2016-4-9_14-36-35.png

upload_2016-4-9_14-38-33.png

Code violation. You can't plug a device rated at 50A into a 14-50 on a breaker smaller than 50A. The breaker and wiring for outlet must be rated for the appliance's nameplate load.
Edit window is closed, so I'll reply and add - it's OK to use a breaker (and wiring) smaller than 50A on a 14-50, but only if you are plugging in an appliance with a load rating less then 50A. For example, new houses are sometimes wired with 14-50's for an electric range with a 40A rated load, using a 40A breaker and wiring. This is OK, since the appliance is rated for 40A.

The UMC is rated at 50A, so you need to use a full 50A circuit to be legal.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
My parking is under ground. Directly below the living area, so only 1 level below ground. I was fortunate that my deeded parking spot was the best possible one of the 16 spots. Directly through the wall behind my car is the storage area that had all of the electric meters.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

My daily commute will not exceed 50-60 miles total so it sounds like the 30 Amp circuit will be fine. I was concerned because I will also be doing several long trips a year (~350 miles one way MA to PA) and was worried about charging for work when I return.

My last questions:
1) Any specific outlet I should request from the electrician?
2) Can I buy an extra cable from Tesla or should I get it from another place? (I prefer to keep the charging cable connected at home and have one in the car for travel charging).

Thanks again for all the advice!

@jrk123, Yes, the 30A circuit will be plenty for you. You said something very significant in this post that apparently a lot of people in this thread overlooked.

You asked about buying an extra cable, because you want to have one at home and in the car. That determines your answer. It’s not about outlet types, and here’s why:

If you are just going to use the original charge cable that comes with your car, and leave it at home, hanging on the garage wall, great—use an outlet. That’s what I do. But, if you are planning to buy an additional ANYTHING, don’t buy another mobile charge cable. The extra cable is $650. The new wall connector has had its price lowered, and is now $550 and is the perfect solution. Just get a wall connector and get it hardwired onto that 30A circuit—sorted. Then, your charge cable can stay in the car.

Tesla doesn’t sell any of the adapters for their mobile charge cable for any 30A outlet types anymore, so it’s going to be a pain trying to hunt one down, or doing some hack-ish iffy workaround that I wouldn’t recommend for daily use.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

My daily commute will not exceed 50-60 miles total so it sounds like the 30 Amp circuit will be fine. I was concerned because I will also be doing several long trips a year (~350 miles one way MA to PA) and was worried about charging for work when I return.

My last questions:
1) Any specific outlet I should request from the electrician?
2) Can I buy an extra cable from Tesla or should I get it from another place? (I prefer to keep the charging cable connected at home and have one in the car for travel charging).

Thanks again for all the advice!

I guess I'm not following something here. You can't put in a 50 amp breaker because it's too big, yet some people here are recommending you install the HPWC. As far as I know, the HPWC requires a 100 amp breaker. So you would still need to upgrade your base breaker box.

My 50 amp outlet which is supposed to run at 40 amps, is on a longish run across the garage, and the car has decided that it can only charge at 30 amps. I used to worry about this, but it has never been a problem.

I would suggest you start with your 30 amp breaker/outlet/whatever, and then later, If you Need to, pay for your expensive upgrade and wiring. My guess is that you will decide it ain't worth it.

Reactions: SageBrush
I really appreciate everyone's replies.

I have spoken with two additional electricians since I originally posted and both of them said I am all set for a 50A breaker. The electrician local to me actually came in to measure my usage to validate the 50A breaker will be OK.

I have been looking at the at the HPWC as my first choice and just placed an order for one. The price drop along with the tax credit for installing charging equipment ending this year pushed me over the edge.

I have been learning a lot in these forums - really great community here!

Reactions: JeffK
So yeah a 30 Amp circuit is fine. The conspicuous consumers in this forum like to think they need an 80 Amp HPWC, but they don't.

Some conspicuous consumers in this forum actually do need 80 amp. Because we have friends with EVs who come to visit who will never ever leave, if they're charging at a lower rate.

It's not just the home owner with an EV. Somehow you will start to collect friends with EVs. And friends who come from greater distances with EVs, who just need a bump or a full charge to get home again.

It's nice to have the option.

Edit window is closed, so I'll reply and add - it's OK to use a breaker (and wiring) smaller than 50A on a 14-50, but only if you are plugging in an appliance with a load rating less then 50A. For example, new houses are sometimes wired with 14-50's for an electric range with a 40A rated load, using a 40A breaker and wiring. This is OK, since the appliance is rated for 40A.

The UMC is rated at 50A, so you need to use a full 50A circuit to be legal.
It's okay - when there is not an outlet to fit that amperage. Which means you can put a 14-50 on a 40A breaker with 40A wiring TO MATCH a 40A appliance (as you stated). You CANNOT put a 14-50 on a 30A breaker - you have to do a 14-30 (or a 6-30, but there is no 6-30 adapter for the mobile connector).

A couple of notes - the Canadian 14-50 adapter actually limits the car to 32A continuous, so is a perfect match for a 14-50 on a 40A circuit (I got one because my parents have an old 14-50 on a 40A in their garage). Also, supposedly Tesla was recently convinced (by a poll on TMC) to reinstate the 14-30 adapter, and should go back into production this fall.

That would be right for 100 amp. 200 amp is a lot more.

A factor two, to be exact.

Incidentally, that is also a possible uncertainty factor involved when only stating the charging capacity in ampere, since the other factor, the voltage, could be 110V, or twice as high, for twice the charging power.

The charging power is really what one needs to know.(*)

For example, my garage has only a 16A outlet, but with a 400V voltage, so I have a charging power of 6.4 kW. A night's charging (say 12 hours) will thus give me a good 76 kWh. Now I just need the car itself...

(*) For a given power, a higher voltage and a lower current is preferable to a lower voltage and a higher current, since the higher current will incur more loss if one has to use a longer cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush