Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone impressed with the overly-hyped "holiday update"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S/X dashboard UI changes are probably tied to plans for the FSD display, that could take over the entire dashboard display - so they needed to reposition the speedometer/AP/FSD elements to the top of the display and shrink the top and bottom items to free up more space in the middle for the FSD visualization. When those visualizations are released, the need for these changes will be clearer.

However... The text on the bottom of the display is too small. Our S hasn't received the update, and the text on the bottom of that display is more readable - likely because the font is slightly larger and in bold.

Tesla should at least make the new bottom status line in bold - and increase the font size slightly to improve readability.

When Tesla makes obviously poor UI decisions like this, it continues to raise questions about their internal review process or the ability of Tesla's small hand picked group of beta testers to provide meaningful feedback.

Years ago, Tesla removed the time-of-day clock from one of the displays - and quickly added it back when there was considerable backlash from customers. They removed the first letter scroll bar in the media player - and immediately received a lot of complaints - and they fixed that quickly too.

We'll likely see something similar with the small dashboard text - with an update soon to make the text a little bit larger. If they wanted to do it right, they should provide "Accessibility" settings that would allow drivers to select smaller or larger text (similar to what we see on other devices).

As for Musk's comments on UI customization coming - S/X may be left out - the change is more likely for 3/Y, which has only one display - and those drivers will likely want to see more than the driving-related visualizations. Musk promised UI customization for S/X (there weren't 3/Y vehicles at that time) years ago - and we still haven't seen that - and don't hold out much hope we'll finally see those improvements on our S and X...

The S/X dashboard UI changes are probably tied to plans for the FSD display, that could take over the entire dashboard display - so they needed to reposition the speedometer/AP/FSD elements to the top of the display and shrink the top and bottom items to free up more space in the middle for the FSD visualization. When those visualizations are released, the need for these changes will be clearer.

However... The text on the bottom of the display is too small. Our S hasn't received the update, and the text on the bottom of that display is more readable - likely because the font is slightly larger and in bold.

Tesla should at least make the new bottom status line in bold - and increase the font size slightly to improve readability.

When Tesla makes obviously poor UI decisions like this, it continues to raise questions about their internal review process or the ability of Tesla's small hand picked group of beta testers to provide meaningful feedback.

Years ago, Tesla removed the time-of-day clock from one of the displays - and quickly added it back when there was considerable backlash from customers. They removed the first letter scroll bar in the media player - and immediately received a lot of complaints - and they fixed that quickly too.

We'll likely see something similar with the small dashboard text - with an update soon to make the text a little bit larger. If they wanted to do it right, they should provide "Accessibility" settings that would allow drivers to select smaller or larger text (similar to what we see on other devices).

As for Musk's comments on UI customization coming - S/X may be left out - the change is more likely for 3/Y, which has only one display - and those drivers will likely want to see more than the driving-related visualizations. Musk promised UI customization for S/X (there weren't 3/Y vehicles at that time) years ago - and we still haven't seen that - and don't hold out much hope we'll finally see those improvements on our S and X...
Not to mention, if you got your S/X in 2020 even a month ago you're out of luck because a refreshed version is being announced. I can only imagine how people who just got 2021 model S/X would feel once a refresh comes out just weeks from now. Tesla needs to get its act together. Was refunding people 5k for Model 3 performance package when the company was struggling a good idea or is offering new MCU installations to customers who paid literally 30-40k more for their S/X this year a better idea?
I see Tesla catering to 3/Y customers only while S/X are just ignored and the latest update is another example of that. I wish Musk would do something about this but not keeping my hopes up.

Reactions: Wol747
Not to mention, if you got your S/X in 2020 even a month ago you're out of luck because a refreshed version is being announced. I can only imagine how people who just got 2021 model S/X would feel once a refresh comes out just weeks from now. Tesla needs to get its act together. Was refunding people 5k for Model 3 performance package when the company was struggling a good idea or is offering new MCU installations to customers who paid literally 30-40k more for their S/X this year a better idea?
I see Tesla catering to 3/Y customers only while S/X are just ignored and the latest update is another example of that. I wish Musk would do something about this but not keeping my hopes up.

Happened to people in 2016 with AP2. Happened to me in 2017 with the 100D. Happened in 2018 with MCU2, and the list goes on.

If someone is that concerned about just missing out on an update, buy used. They will be much better off financially and know what they are getting vs what’s just coming out.

Happened to people in 2016 with AP2. Happened to me in 2017 with the 100D. Happened in 2018 with MCU2, and the list goes on.

If someone is that concerned about just missing out on an update, buy used. They will be much better off financially and know what they are getting vs what’s just coming out.

Agreed. It's happened to everyone. I don't know why Tesla fans get so outraged that they re-design stuff. Literally every manufacturer does it. Hell, BMW has changed their body styling 2-3 times in the timeframe that Tesla has just changed a bumper and headlights on the S.

This is a car, not an iPhone. If you want the latest and greatest all the time, you're buying a new car every year. Otherwise, folks need to enjoy what they have.

Agreed. It's happened to everyone. I don't know why Tesla fans get so outraged that they re-design stuff. Literally every manufacturer does it. Hell, BMW has changed their body styling 2-3 times in the timeframe that Tesla has just changed a bumper and headlights on the S.

This is a car, not an iPhone. If you want the latest and greatest all the time, you're buying a new car every year. Otherwise, folks need to enjoy what they have.
Well those fans get so outraged because they weren't here when you experienced the previous big transitions and I am sure anyone who went through that did their fair share of complaining at the time only to get over it later. Honestly, that's all I'm doing too.

Comparing a car to an iPhone is such a failed analogy. If iPhones cost app. 100k a piece and if iPhone SE was constantly updated while iPhone 12Pro was dumbed down while costing more than SE then I assure you there would've been even worst outrage.

Reactions: Wol747
Well those fans get so outraged because they weren't here when you experienced the previous big transitions and I am sure anyone who went through that did their fair share of complaining at the time only to get over it later. Honestly, that's all I'm doing too.

Comparing a car to an iPhone is such a failed analogy. If iPhones cost app. 100k a piece and if iPhone SE was constantly updated while iPhone 12Pro was dumbed down while costing more than SE then I assure you there would've been even worst outrage.

Yes, it's a very dumb analogy, that was the point. Tesla owners treat their cars like they do phones, expecting continuous and significant post-purchase upgrades. I see it all the time both here and on my local tesla group. And many of them seem all too willing to trade in a 9 month old car to get a single additional update that wasn't available on their car.

They get upset when a newer model has more features. Well....yeah, of course it does. My P90D is 4 years old. It does not and will not have as many features as a base 2021 Model 3. Maybe folks got too comfortable with the big leaps that were made via OTA updates in the first few years when all the hardware was the same, and then when there was a line in the sand, people got a little salty. But there's always something quicker, faster, and a helluva lot better equipped coming just around the corner, that's how technology advancement works.

Yeah, things are much worse with other manufacturers. When I got my 2011 BMW I bought a pricey adapter so that my iPhone could work with “BMW apps.” Then with the next generation of iPhones the adapter wouldn’t fit and it took almost a year to get a new one by which point BMW had decided not to support the apps anyway so the UI experience was significantly worse. In the year since I bought my used 2017 Model S I’ve had real upgrades and I’m quite happy with Tesla’s approach.

I love the new, cleaner UI just released. I find that the speedometer is easier to see than it was before.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Yeah, things are much worse with other manufacturers. When I got my 2011 BMW I bought a pricey adapter so that my iPhone could work with “BMW apps.” Then with the next generation of iPhones the adapter wouldn’t fit and it took almost a year to get a new one by which point BMW had decided not to support the apps anyway so the UI experience was significantly worse. In the year since I bought my used 2017 Model S I’ve had real upgrades and I’m quite happy with Tesla’s approach.

I love the new, cleaner UI just released. I find that the speedometer is easier to see than it was before.

I am sure I would agree, if I did not have presbyopia...I swore it would never happen to me, but it did.

Reactions: vapor trail

That's exactly my point. When I got my last car, what you got when you drove off the lot was what you got for the life of the car. No changes, no updates, no nothin'. With Tesla, I've had all sorts of free upgrades pushed to me without having to have any paid subscription, data plan, or anything whatsoever. That's freaking amazing, and I think people look past that too quickly.

Frankly, it would be in Tesla's best interest to *not* push updates to all of their vehicles (based on installed hardware), because if I can buy a used 2017 P100D, have Tesla update the AutoPilot hardware FOR FREE, and it will function 98% the same as a 2021 Performance....why would I buy new? But they do it anyway, and that's pretty epic.

I have no idea what everyone is talking about re font size

HOLD ON LET ME GET MY GLASSES.

Reactions: SO16
That's exactly my point. When I got my last car, what you got when you drove off the lot was what you got for the life of the car. No changes, no updates, no nothin'. With Tesla, I've had all sorts of free upgrades pushed to me without having to have any paid subscription, data plan, or anything whatsoever. That's freaking amazing, and I think people look past that too quickly.

Frankly, it would be in Tesla's best interest to *not* push updates to all of their vehicles (based on installed hardware), because if I can buy a used 2017 P100D, have Tesla update the AutoPilot hardware FOR FREE, and it will function 98% the same as a 2021 Performance....why would I buy new? But they do it anyway, and that's pretty epic.

HOLD ON LET ME GET MY GLASSES.
Touche !

Yes, it's a very dumb analogy, that was the point. Tesla owners treat their cars like they do phones, expecting continuous and significant post-purchase upgrades. I see it all the time both here and on my local tesla group. And many of them seem all too willing to trade in a 9 month old car to get a single additional update that wasn't available on their car.

They get upset when a newer model has more features. Well....yeah, of course it does. My P90D is 4 years old. It does not and will not have as many features as a base 2021 Model 3. Maybe folks got too comfortable with the big leaps that were made via OTA updates in the first few years when all the hardware was the same, and then when there was a line in the sand, people got a little salty. But there's always something quicker, faster, and a helluva lot better equipped coming just around the corner, that's how technology advancement works.
I can't disagree with you.

That's exactly my point. When I got my last car, what you got when you drove off the lot was what you got for the life of the car. No changes, no updates, no nothin'.
That is not entirely true for most modern cars, the difference is any enhancements to the electronics side of things is done when you take it to the dealer for scheduled servicing, not OTA **. Tesla's OTA updates are convenient for owners (and them) but also means Tesla aren't too stringent on QC.....'we'll just fix it in the next update' is the mentality.

** Adding fart noises is NOT an enhancement, it's an embarrassment when there is more critical things to fix.

That is not entirely true for most modern cars, the difference is any enhancements to the electronics side of things is done when you take it to the dealer for scheduled servicing, not OTA **. Tesla's OTA updates are convenient for owners (and them) but also means Tesla aren't too stringent on QC.....'we'll just fix it in the next update' is the mentality.

** Adding fart noises is NOT an enhancement, it's an embarrassment when there is more critical things to fix.

In other words, Elon should stop fartin' around and appoint a head of CS that will fix service...