Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone impressed with the overly-hyped "holiday update"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that must suck. However voice commands are your friend. Close and open menus, fold mirrors, set climate, fan speed and vents.

Just curious, when you use the "My Girlfriend is Hot" command, which side gets the AC turned on?

I no longer use voice commands - the programming is truly awful on my S.
Even on the odd occasion when the "repeat" text accurately says what I have said myself, half the time it then proceeds to do something entirely different. For example I said "I'm cold" (one of the "allowable" commands" and the car discarded the NOA navigation it was following and made the route to an air conditioning shop somewhere.
I'm not joking - this is typical.
It's often said that Tesla is a software company first and a car company second. As a software company it frankly doesn't rate if measured by voice commands.

Even on the odd occasion when the "repeat" text accurately says what I have said myself, half the time it then proceeds to do something entirely different. For example I said "I'm cold" (one of the "allowable" commands" and the car discarded the NOA navigation it was following and made the route to an air conditioning shop somewhere.
It's often said that Tesla is a software company first and a car company second. As a software company it frankly doesn't rate if measured by voice commands.

Strange.. maybe it is tuned to US west coast accents? Although I have success 80% of the time if I speak slowly, since updates this spring.

Voice commands in the Wife's MB S class are not much better, and more limited, and don't work at all with her accent.

A Canadian owner posted here that he was trying to get to a famous store up there called Princess Auto.

It set his climate to auto, lol

I just want to add my dissatisfaction to the font size change to the long list. I hope Tesla will move faster with a fix with greater numbers of complaints. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think giving people a font size option will be the best way to go. I personally don't mind the smaller fonts but I can see how others would be thrown off by them.

Best approach to these kinds of software tweaks is to make them user configurable.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
I seriously wonder if the UI designers have ever heard of human factors engineering, or ever have an independent HFE review as they should. Grrr.
Tesla hires dot-com phone app developers rather than car UI developers. On top of that, they probably outsource a bunch of it to people who cannot afford a Tesla, and who work for very cost conscious companies, therefore implement the least possible to meet a feature. Combine that with Elon's "best process is no process" and you see the results.

I used to work with phone manufacturers, from the big guys to small startups. Once met a small startup who showed us a phone which looked like a ping-pong paddle with a full QERTY keyboard on it, including 3 or 4 function modifier keys allowing each of the QWERTY keyboard keys to have 3 or 4 functions. Each key was so tiny I would have needed a toothpick to press them accurately. The CEO of the startup however, proudly showed us a "competitor feature comparison table", where they beat everyone, including Apple, Blackberry, Nokia and Windows phones (yes, it was a long while back). How did they meet it? Well, for example, Apple had pinch zoom, they had zoom which required only 5 or 6 key presses with a toothpick, so they put a check mark next to the feature so they can claim they are on parity with iPhones. While Tesla is not as bad this rather extreme example, every time I see a new version of Tesla software, I recall that ping-pong paddle phone, thinking developers with the same mind-set made it - put check-marks for every feature, make it look "cool", no consideration to usability. After all, usability is something that people see only after buying the car, but the cool "skin" is what gets them to buy it. With no more 7 day money back anymore (heck, I've read news stories recently where you cannot even inspect the car until you bought it with no possibility to refuse delivery), by the time you realize the usability sucks, it's too late, they got your money and no longer care.

Well those fans get so outraged because they weren't here when you experienced the previous big transitions and I am sure anyone who went through that did their fair share of complaining at the time only to get over it later. Honestly, that's all I'm doing too.
You are wrong when you the above. I went through that a few times, including buying a Model S at the end of 2016 which dropped in price by ~$3K 2 months after delivery, and 9 months later another $7K (75's were sold for price of 60's) . I never complained about that. Why would I? I agreed to pay the price and I only expect what I was promised at the time (of course Tesla did not deliver on all the promises for the price, but that's another story for another thread). I honestly don't get people who complain about prices dropping or newer tech coming out. You see the price, you see what you get, as long as everything is delivered, what's to complain about? Someone else 2 month later got more for the same money or the same for cheaper? Unless there was a guarantee when you bought that nobody else will get more or same for less money, why whine and complain? If prices went up, would people be raging to give Tesla more money? If not, why are they raging to get a refund if prices go down? Heck, imagine you got laid off from your job and took a similar job for less money, should your ex-employer be entitled to a refund from you equal to the difference in annual salary times the number of months you worked there, just because you were willing to work for less money for the next employer?

Reactions: kavyboy
** Adding fart noises is NOT an enhancement, it's an embarrassment when there is more critical things to fix.

This ought to be engraved on a plaque and hung over Elon's desk.

I'm no psychologist but there must be some syndrome that describes someone who is a genius in some matters, but a child in others. Surely that's Elon. Tesla, Space-X, Boring Co, etc. are astounding accomplishments and yet the guy regresses into 4th grader Bart Simpson at times (obsession with farts, 80's video games, potty-humor and pee-pee talk -- anyone catch his Jack-in-the-Box Tweetstorm?)

I like the update overall, but mostly I think the UI updates are mostly okay. There are some concerns about use of space which may be valid, but I think Tesla will continue to improve this over time. The new FSD visualization looks great though I don't have FSD. I tried it out with Autopilot and liked what I saw.

>>I think giving people a font size option will be the best way to go. I personally don't mind the smaller fonts but I can see how others would be thrown off by them.

Best approach to these kinds of software tweaks is to make them user configurable.<<

Not sure I agree with that, at least not all the way. It's complicated enough to work your way through the options of suspension, autopilot, wing mirrors etc etc at the moment. Having the ability to alter all the presentation is a step too far.
They need to get it right the first time and have the primary indications writ large enough to be seen at a glance not hunted for eyes-down.

Even the easiest thing seems to have been badly thought out - the owners' manual font and contrast makes it more difficult to read than it needs to be, and the simplest thing to put right!

Not sure I agree with that, at least not all the way. It's complicated enough to work your way through the options of suspension, autopilot, wing mirrors etc etc at the moment. Having the ability to alter all the presentation is a step too far.

Doesn't have to be complicated. For example, on the Display settings screen - add two options:

MCU font size (Small, Medium, Large selection or slider bar) **i think this one already exists

IC font Size (Small, Medium, Large or slider bar)

Save the selections with the user profile so different drivers can have different font sizes.

--

As a software designer/developer for many years, when you release updates, you learn:
a.) you never take away a feature/function that was previously available without good reason
b.) you can never make it too easy to do things

Reactions: vapor trail

Surprisingly, voice commands are pretty much spot on for me, even navigation destinations, and I'm on the west coast US but still have a British accent.

Maybe smaller fonts needed to make the left and right sides smaller so the middle part of the screen has more space for autopilot visuals. Seems to be why they rearranged the AP / speed limit icons at the top too. I do hate the smaller car graphic though - I can't see the clouds/stars reflected in the back windshield anymore :(

I find it pretty annoying that the dashboard is being rearranged for AP visuals, if that is in fact the case. I will never buy FSD. No disrespect to anyone who thinks it's useful, but based on everything I've read and seen (on YouTube) it is not something I would ever trust with my life and my family's. So the visuals to me are nothing but "wow cool it sees there's a cone, and a person, and it knows that's an SUV and that's a truck and that's a car. Wow!" Basing the layout of the dashboard around that is a major negative in my opinion.

I just went out for a short drive to reconsider my thoughts on the size issue - the speed icons wouldn't be so bad if the selected speed wasn't in such low contrast - what is it with them? I couldn't read it within the circle but with decent black contrast it would be OK. Actual speed though needs to be much bigger. Took me some time to FIND the gear indication!

2017 Model s75 mcu2 hw3

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but haven't seen anyone else bring this up. I was able to install this update before the drive home and found an unusual surprise with the charge rate. Normally my car would top out at a 80kw(ish) rate and yesterday was definitely getting around 124kw. Has anyone else noticed this?

2017 Model s75 mcu2 hw3

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but haven't seen anyone else bring this up. I was able to install this update before the drive home and found an unusual surprise with the charge rate. Normally my car would top out at a 80kw(ish) rate and yesterday was definitely getting around 124kw. Has anyone else noticed this?

I WISH!

Could be the 75 packs are un chargegated.

Enjoy your unicorn.

2017 Model s75 mcu2 hw3

My 75 has been seeing max rates in the 130-140kw range for like a year now.