Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone impressed with the overly-hyped "holiday update"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meh. Car has improved. Some new features. And a couple things like games and sounds I don’t use. Price was right. And any other car I have ever owned got nothin...EVER. So yep. We are happy. I’m sure there is more to come. There always is.

Disagree.

The microscopic fonts on the IC are a huge step backwards in terms of usability and safety.

Just went for a drive.

While the small fonts don’t particularly bother me (early 40s, worn glasses my entire life), I can agree that there doesn’t seem to be much of a POINT in making them smaller. Like, why? It doesn’t make anything look more “modern”, or better, or anything other than really being different for the sake of being different. Stupid.

The car avatar tilting forward in the IC when you goose it is a funny little touch.

Other than that, this is the yawniest of holiday updates by a mile. Say what you will about the little gimmicks, some of them have been genuinely fun and clever and not a year goes by that we don’t fire up the sleigh or romance mode at least once.

Yeah, I just don't get the point. Now there is a bunch of blank space on the IC. It's not like they made anything else bigger by shrinking the fonts.

Well, at least this isn't as bad as for the M3/MY folks who got their maps, camera, spotify shrunk because of the new blank space.

Perhaps in preparation of some FSD changes to the IC and what is displayed. Only sense I can make of it. it IS a bit small now

Went for drive this AM. Updated graphics of car on IC are a nice touch. I agree about the font size. Seems too small for no apparent reason. I definitely need my glasses on now to clearly read the text. As mentioned above, perhaps it's to make room for things to come.

Interesting to see posters above waxing philosophical about what's "real." Since when is it unusual to read criticisms or praise on a forum?

Reactions: David29
Just installed it and went for a drive. Nothing new that's useful for me (late 2018). I guess scheduled departure lets you set your own TOU end time (instead of the hardcoded 6:00!) but thanks to COVID I no longer have a scheduled departure.

The tiny fonts on the IC annoying and what's even more annoying is nothing is aligned! The battery percentage is no longer lined up with the battery. The P R N D is even farther below that. The AP set speed (which is SUPER tiny) is not centered in the circle. It looks terrible.

Also the 3D image of the car seems lower resolution with no anti-aliasing. I used to be able to see the brake light bar but now it's barely visible.

I don't understand it either. All the things that I look at every time I drive (gear position, battery state, temperature, and time) are now tiny. Anyone know why or certain design philosophy?
Its the tech industry. They tend to embrace “constant change” philosophy. “CICD”. Only problem is, the “i” isn’t always “improvement” and the persons in charge aren’t old enough to balance actual improvement with the historical story of new coke...

As someon who felt the AP2+ car avatar was silly looking compared to the AP1 version, I am glad to see a more realistic render now. The font changes don't bother me at all and I assume they are in preparation for the new FSD visualizations.

I like the fact that you can see the MCU through the glass roof in the IC avatar now (nice attention to detail there.

Reactions: Achilles
The tiny fonts on the IC annoying and what's even more annoying is nothing is aligned! The battery percentage is no longer lined up with the battery. The P R N D is even farther below that. The AP set speed (which is SUPER tiny) is not centered in the circle. It looks terrible.

Also the 3D image of the car seems lower resolution with no anti-aliasing. I used to be able to see the brake light bar but now it's barely visible.

Oh man, I didn't see that everything is misaligned at first but now that you made me look it's going to drive me crazy. Really odd design choice. The battery meter isn't aligned with the text for the battery percentage.

Reactions: David29