Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Y better than other all electric SUVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The topic is current Model Y vs assorted-others. I feel the only "others" which should be allowed are those which actually exist - no fair bringing in what Rivian might make in a year or two at a speculated price which might compete with what you can buy from Tesla right here, right now. The low cost variant of the R1S does NOT exist.
Rivian’s recent SEC filing says they expect to fill their current preorder backlog of R1 vehicles by the end of 2023. As of 10/31, they had 55,400 preorders in their backlog. And the last week of October, they only manufactured 104 trucks. Their target is 1,310/week (full capacity at the Normal plant). The odds they ramp up from 104 to anything close to 1,310 fast enough to fulfill their current preorders is low. This means that preorders made now will not get filled until sometime in 2024, and that is likely late 2024, depending on how many more orders they got since October and how fast they can ramp Normal to full capacity.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Why isn’t the Rivian R1S in the discussion mix? Obviously larger vehicle, but if you’re comparing a car for kids/bikes/etc and similar price range, def worth considering too.
The Rivian pricing starts around 87K. Not all that close to MY pricing. But interesting concept to them.
I'm 6'0" and found it difficult to contort into and out of the driver door. Once in, I like the interior and seating,.
But it's like it's made for short people, and I'm not all that tall.

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93 and DrGriz
Price range and safety rating make sense to compare, but why weight? Nobody cares how much a vehicle weighs unless it’s going to require special tires / etc. Weight may make it handle differently but if you’re looking at a MY anyway the handling isn’t a top priority.
weight matters - a major factor in vehicle efficiency, which is an overlooked issue.
Looking at the battery size vs range will tell a tale more people should be looking at.

I got the Genesis GV60 Advanced in August and loving it. Comparing with 2023 MY we just picked up in November, the built and ride are day and night. The road noise transmitted thru tires in MY, which Tesla service claims is within specs, is just not acceptable for a $68k vehicle. So many MY owners' attempt to modify the Acoustics are just insane.

With GV60 (also Ioniq5 or Kia EV6): Duel screen plus heads up display. Luxurious interior, Quiet and smooth ride. Rated at 245 miles range but 280 actual range in Eco mode. (Versus MY's 330 stated range but gets 280ish actual range.)

Charging for long trip: Supercharge is superior for its ease and availability station numbers. GV60 offers 3 years Electrify America unlimited 30 minutes charging session. Not as straight forward as Supercharger, it takes two steps.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto available with wired connection only (that is So lame.)

And, I can find my car easily in a crowded parking lot with my Unique color and style!

Price range and safety rating make sense to compare, but why weight? Nobody cares how much a vehicle weighs unless it’s going to require special tires / etc. Weight may make it handle differently but if you’re looking at a MY anyway the handling isn’t a top priority.
I know what you mean, but the only reason I mentioned weight is because per IIHSS safety and other safety measures, you can only compare vehicles in the same weight range, because weight of the vehicle impacts safety. a 3,000 lb car cannot be compared to a 5,000 lb car.

Reactions: brancky3
That is a good point, I did not realize this. So you're saying that right now these other electric cars are being sold for significantly higher than the MSRP? When I bought my last ICE vehicle in 2020, we were able to buy it below MSRP so I did not even consider this.
Well...mostly. Sort of. Dealerships are tacking on just brazen markups and calling it "market adjustment." Read that as: we're going to pocket some more of your money because we can. It'll depend on the car, the market, and the dealership. You really need to call around and do some shopping.

Regarding Tesla: it's all MSRP, yes. But Tesla didn't miss out on the price increase bandwagon. MSRP for all of Tesla's cars is substantially higher than it was a few years ago. You just don't see the "market adjustment," but it's there.

I don't mind Tesla's way so much as the stealership - er, dealership method. The dealerships are going to take each buyer for as much as they can wring out of you; you really don't know what the car will cost you until you get in to the finance office. Tesla just takes your money. No wasted time, no wasted effort. And not having to deal with ignorant and pushy salespeople and finance people is worth a couple grand. It's off topic, but the buying experience with Tesla is phenomenal, but substantially different. I've bought two, it was excellent both times.

Reactions: Occhis
Well...mostly. Sort of. Dealerships are tacking on just brazen markups and calling it "market adjustment." Read that as: we're going to pocket some more of your money because we can. It'll depend on the car, the market, and the dealership. You really need to call around and do some shopping.

Regarding Tesla: it's all MSRP, yes. But Tesla didn't miss out on the price increase bandwagon. MSRP for all of Tesla's cars is substantially higher than it was a few years ago. You just don't see the "market adjustment," but it's there.

I don't mind Tesla's way so much as the stealership - er, dealership method. The dealerships are going to take each buyer for as much as they can wring out of you; you really don't know what the car will cost you until you get in to the finance office. Tesla just takes your money. No wasted time, no wasted effort. And not having to deal with ignorant and pushy salespeople and finance people is worth a couple grand. It's off topic, but the buying experience with Tesla is phenomenal, but substantially different. I've bought two, it was excellent both times.
Lol yes and at least with Tesla, everyone is ripped off equally.

In addition to
There's no doubt that the Tesla Model Y isn't a perfect car, no matter what all the fanboys would like to say. However, the thing I have come to realize is it does the best job of alleviating all the potential problems of electric cars. It is intuitive, well engineered, capable and extremely efficient. All other cars right now require significant concessions or have notable downsides to them. The biggest one is the charging network and experience. It doesn't take long at all reading around the web or watching YouTube videos to find all the horror stories of Electrify America, EVGo, Chargepoint and others in the US. Things are different in Europe, but in North America the Tesla network outshines the rest by a country mile. To me, I have to have the confidence that when I show up at a DC fast charger, that thing is going to work, I'm going to get charged up, and I won't have to sit there for 2 hours to do it. Beyond that, here's things I've found in my research of competitors:

Mach-E: tons of software issues, phone key problems, they built them for a year with a battery contact module that is guaranteed to fail, and requires the entire battery to be removed to fix.
ID.4: even worse software problems in the car, like horrific failures, sometimes bricking the car, that still only may be fixed in the latest update, but maybe not
Ionic 5: smaller than the Y, doesn't precondition the battery so charging speed is a tossup, phone key on iPhone apparently has issues
Volvo: smaller than the Y, less range, for the same money
Q4 eTron: just a more expensive ID.4, a little nicer, hopefully gets better software than its less expensive sibling, audi app has issues, I could see this being tempting though

There are forums for all of these cars, just go read up on the common problems people have with them and see if they are deal breakers for you. I know for me, crappy onboard software, a lousy app, features that don't work, plus charging issues would drive me insane after dropping $50K+ on a car.
In addition to all other excellent points, I would recommend watch Munro’s teardowns. Many of the legacy models (like Mach-E, ID.x etc…) are slapped together with existing parts creating a jungle of wirings which will translate into high repair costs after the warranty period!

Reactions: WyoDude
In addition to

In addition to all other excellent points, I would recommend watch Munro’s teardowns. Many of the legacy models (like Mach-E, ID.x etc…) are slapped together with existing parts creating a jungle of wirings which will translate into high repair costs after the warranty period!
I do wonder how the repair costs will compare once they switch to the structural build. Would affect insurance rates?

Cali tes1...if you plan on doing any trips...with your Tesla, you will be able to use the vastly superior Tesla Super Charging Network. Easy to use and find and just the best there is. Just my 75 cents worth of opinion.

Hi all, We have been on the waitlist for the Tesla Model Y for close to a year now. Tesla told us to expect the car this month and now I am getting cold feat since the car is way more than I have ever spent on a car. So I am looking at the all-electric competition in the lower price range and wondering if anyone could help me justify why the Tesla Y is better than these cheaper all electric alternative SUVs:

Ford Mustang Mach-E

Volkswagen ID.4

Volvo C40

Hyundai Ioniq

Audi Q4 etron
We have a 2018 Model 3 LR, all I can say in regards to our experience is...best decision we ever made.

Soon to be Tesla Model Y owner, yes I think it is better than all other electric SUVs out now based on extensive research I've done.
Hi all, We have been on the waitlist for the Tesla Model Y for close to a year now. Tesla told us to expect the car this month and now I am getting cold feat since the car is way more than I have ever spent on a car. So I am looking at the all-electric competition in the lower price range and wondering if anyone could help me justify why the Tesla Y is better than these cheaper all electric alternative SUVs:

Ford Mustang Mach-E

Volkswagen ID.4

Volvo C40

Hyundai Ioniq

Audi Q4 etron
Similar to your situation, soon to be Tesla model Y owner. I think the Tesla is the best option in its price and size range. If I had more money, I'd probably go with the BMW iX over the Tesla Model X or Rivian (my current car is a BMW and generally a fan of the brand) but I found the relative trade offs in the $70k price range to be slightly in Tesla's favor. My general thoughts:

I didn't like the styling of the Hyundai or kia offerings - too racer hatchback feel for me. Also not a fan of the styling of the Mercedes EQB. The Volkswagen ID4 horror stories will keep me away from it and the Audi Q4 (which also feels rather pedestrian) although the Porsche Taycan seems very nice and I would seriously consider, but not a SUV.

Of the serious choices, I think it came down to the Tesla model Y, Ford Mustang Mach-E, Bolt EUV, and Toyota Rav 4 Prime for me. If I could get a Toyota Rav 4 Prime at MSRP, I would since it's a great practical SUV and the plug-in nature means it has enough range for most of my daily uses. However, the ridiculousness of Toyota dealerships with markups and the long waitlists of the ones without markups basically means it's off the list for a terrible buying experience. The Bolt EUV is decent but it's definitely a bit small and cramped.

That leaves the Ford mustang mach-e vs the Tesla Model Y. I spent a lot of time looking at both cars in person. The shared pros are that both cars are mature platforms, decent styling, and have enough cargo space. Also, they have shared cons of quality issues that both brands have. I don't think one is better than the other outside of the mind of fanboys. I think it came down to the following for me: 1) Tesla has bigger cargo space, 2) better software, and 3) better buying experience (yes you can pre-order a ford without a dealer markup but I need one soon - my existing car has about $3k of maintenance that I know I'll have to pay for if I keep it beyond March of 2023 and it's worth much less than $3k now in trade in value).

Biggest con for Tesla is no apple CarPlay but my current car doesn't have it so I think I can live without it. I also think all the feature changes like no USS is annoying but I'll take the better suspension over USS.

I think the Mach-E is worth considering at $5k less than the Tesla but at price parity, the

Rivian’s recent SEC filing says they expect to fill their current preorder backlog of R1 vehicles by the end of 2023. As of 10/31, they had 55,400 preorders in their backlog. And the last week of October, they only manufactured 104 trucks. Their target is 1,310/week (full capacity at the Normal plant). The odds they ramp up from 104 to anything close to 1,310 fast enough to fulfill their current preorders is low. This means that preorders made now will not get filled until sometime in 2024, and that is likely late 2024, depending on how many more orders they got since October and how fast they can ramp Normal to full capacity.
Yep, my guess is that if I were to order a R1S now, I won't see it until the end of 2024 or into 2025. That's a ridiculously long wait and it's probably the main reason I haven't ordered on yet.

Soon to be Tesla Model Y owner, yes I think it is better than all other electric SUVs out now based on extensive research I've done.

Similar to your situation, soon to be Tesla model Y owner. I think the Tesla is the best option in its price and size range. If I had more money, I'd probably go with the BMW iX over the Tesla Model X or Rivian (my current car is a BMW and generally a fan of the brand) but I found the relative trade offs in the $70k price range to be slightly in Tesla's favor. My general thoughts:

I didn't like the styling of the Hyundai or kia offerings - too racer hatchback feel for me. Also not a fan of the styling of the Mercedes EQB. The Volkswagen ID4 horror stories will keep me away from it and the Audi Q4 (which also feels rather pedestrian) although the Porsche Taycan seems very nice and I would seriously consider, but not a SUV.

Of the serious choices, I think it came down to the Tesla model Y, Ford Mustang Mach-E, Bolt EUV, and Toyota Rav 4 Prime for me. If I could get a Toyota Rav 4 Prime at MSRP, I would since it's a great practical SUV and the plug-in nature means it has enough range for most of my daily uses. However, the ridiculousness of Toyota dealerships with markups and the long waitlists of the ones without markups basically means it's off the list for a terrible buying experience. The Bolt EUV is decent but it's definitely a bit small and cramped.

That leaves the Ford mustang mach-e vs the Tesla Model Y. I spent a lot of time looking at both cars in person. The shared pros are that both cars are mature platforms, decent styling, and have enough cargo space. Also, they have shared cons of quality issues that both brands have. I don't think one is better than the other outside of the mind of fanboys. I think it came down to the following for me: 1) Tesla has bigger cargo space, 2) better software, and 3) better buying experience (yes you can pre-order a ford without a dealer markup but I need one soon - my existing car has about $3k of maintenance that I know I'll have to pay for if I keep it beyond March of 2023 and it's worth much less than $3k now in trade in value).

Biggest con for Tesla is no apple CarPlay but my current car doesn't have it so I think I can live without it. I also think all the feature changes like no USS is annoying but I'll take the better suspension over USS.

I think the Mach-E is worth considering at $5k less than the Tesla but at price parity, the
my wife and i couldnt take the giant obnoxious volume right in the middle of the mach-e screen