Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Y better than other all electric SUVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a MMEGT and have never hit this limitation. Not because it doesn’t exist, but because by the time you hit it you’re almost at 100mph.
We have a MMEGT and have never hit this limitation. Not because it doesn’t exist, but because by the time you hit it you’re almost at 100mph.
As long as you don’t run the quarter mile or do multiple runs it won’t affect you. He did multiple runs, so he saw the limitation.

If it matters - the Hyundai and Kia EV’s support vehicle-to-load with AC outlets, so you can use them as emergency power for large home appliances. Or run a portable electric stove while camping. This is something that Tesla really needs to add across their EV line, especially since they have “camping mode.”

Reactions: jdr93
the problem is manufacturers do not run their EPA tests the same.. so "real world" is the closest thing we have to comparing apples to apples.
What I mean is this... a poster in another thread defined his "real world" as continuous 70 MPH driving. That is not my definition of real world, even remotely. My "real world" is suburban short hop driving with a mix of highway. My overall average speed for a few hundred miles is typically in the 25 MPH to 30 MPH range. That is the scenario I only care about when considering EV range. I have no plans to take my Model Y on a continuous highway drive. It seems like your real world is also the continuous high-speed highway driving scenario. (My old ICE car could get close to 500 miles on a tank with continuous highway driving, but in my "real world," I only got around 350 miles per tank in my week in and week out driving.)

Larger inertia probably does not benefit stop-and-go range, and my hunch is it hurts it. The reason is it takes more energy to get the heavier car moving. That is offset by the greater amount reclaimed at slowing, but more energy means more losses on both ends. Rivian, because of its weight and aerodynamics, is likely to be less efficient at any speed and range scenario.

I am not knocking it. It's just physics. The Rivian needs a big battery because it is a big, heavy vehicle. But wow, it does a lot with that huge battery and four motors!

Oh, and Rivian is definitely losing money on every car. They are only manufacturing about 100 cars/week in a facility designed for around 1,300 cars/week. They need to get their manufacturing rate up a lot closer to the target rate before they start making money.

What I mean is this... a poster in another thread defined his "real world" as continuous 70 MPH driving. That is not my definition of real world, even remotely. My "real world" is suburban short hop driving with a mix of highway. My overall average speed for a few hundred miles is typically in the 25 MPH to 30 MPH range. That is the scenario I only care about when considering EV range. I have no plans to take my Model Y on a continuous highway drive. It seems like your real world is also the continuous high-speed highway driving scenario. (My old ICE car could get close to 500 miles on a tank with continuous highway driving, but in my "real world," I only got around 350 miles per tank in my week in and week out driving.)

Larger inertia probably does not benefit stop-and-go range, and my hunch is it hurts it. The reason is it takes more energy to get the heavier car moving. That is offset by the greater amount reclaimed at slowing, but more energy means more losses on both ends. Rivian, because of its weight and aerodynamics, is likely to be less efficient at any speed and range scenario.

I am not knocking it. It's just physics. The Rivian needs a big battery because it is a big, heavy vehicle. But wow, it does a lot with that huge battery and four motors!

Oh, and Rivian is definitely losing money on every car. They are only manufacturing about 100 cars/week in a facility designed for around 1,300 cars/week. They need to get their manufacturing rate up a lot closer to the target rate before they start making money.

yes the rivian and other large EV's dont have the efficiency of a model y in the city.. but they have better city efficiency than highway efficiency (compared to themselves)

Hi all, We have been on the waitlist for the Tesla Model Y for close to a year now. Tesla told us to expect the car this month and now I am getting cold feat since the car is way more than I have ever spent on a car. So I am looking at the all-electric competition in the lower price range and wondering if anyone could help me justify why the Tesla Y is better than these cheaper all electric alternative SUVs:

Ford Mustang Mach-E

Volkswagen ID.4

Volvo C40

Hyundai Ioniq

Audi Q4 etron
I finally had a day off to go to some car dealerships and ask about what some on this thread have mentioned about cost and availability of the alternatives. Since Mach-e and Id.4 seem to have significant issues at this time, I didn't look at those. I looked at the Volvo C40 and they had very limited stock (2 in stock, with a bright blue interior). The interior screen and buttons looked a little clunky, there was less cargo space, and the out the door price was about the same as the Tesla.

The sales person at Volvo did say that compared to Tesla, Volvo was ranked the #1 safest electric SUV car by IIHS. I know the IIHS scoring, but was not aware of an actual ranking list. He also said it is the safest car because the steel frame Volvo has that Tesla does not have and that its various types of sensors /radar/lidar, though I am not sure that more types of sensors makes a safer car, though this is not an area I know very much about. The last I checked, NHTSA had rated Tesla the best overall SUV for front/side/roll overs of those I could find. Any thoughts on Volvo feeling their car is safer than Tesla?

I realized the Audi out the door price is actually higher than the Tesla Y, so I didn't look at it either.

I went and looked at both the Ioniq and Mercedes EQB. The out the door price of those cars are in the same range of the Tesla, +/- a couple thousand. Both dealerships confirmed they have been hard to come by, and they did not currently have any to sell, though both said they would in the next 1-2 months. The Ioniq exterior looked more like a hatchback than an SUV and the one they had on display looked like a space vehicle with small storage space. The EQB as others have said looked more like an SUV, but with less cargo space than the Tesla.

Even though the Tesla seems overpriced right now, I don't see a better option in the same price range or cheaper, and expect there won't be one for at least the next couple years. I think for the price, seems like it has the best technology and specs at this time.

Reactions: Nrvna76 and gt2690b
I finally had a day off to go to some car dealerships and ask about what some on this thread have mentioned about cost and availability of the alternatives. Since Mach-e and Id.4 seem to have significant issues at this time, I didn't look at those. I looked at the Volvo C40 and they had very limited stock (2 in stock, with a bright blue interior). The interior screen and buttons looked a little clunky, there was less cargo space, and the out the door price was about the same as the Tesla.

The sales person at Volvo did say that compared to Tesla, Volvo was ranked the #1 safest electric SUV car by IIHS. I know the IIHS scoring, but was not aware of an actual ranking list. He also said it is the safest car because the steel frame Volvo has that Tesla does not have and that its various types of sensors /radar/lidar, though I am not sure that more types of sensors makes a safer car, though this is not an area I know very much about. The last I checked, NHTSA had rated Tesla the best overall SUV for front/side/roll overs of those I could find. Any thoughts on Volvo feeling their car is safer than Tesla?

I realized the Audi out the door price is actually higher than the Tesla Y, so I didn't look at it either.

I went and looked at both the Ioniq and Mercedes EQB. The out the door price of those cars are in the same range of the Tesla, +/- a couple thousand. Both dealerships confirmed they have been hard to come by, and they did not currently have any to sell, though both said they would in the next 1-2 months. The Ioniq exterior looked more like a hatchback than an SUV and the one they had on display looked like a space vehicle with small storage space. The EQB as others have said looked more like an SUV, but with less cargo space than the Tesla.

Even though the Tesla seems overpriced right now, I don't see a better option in the same price range or cheaper, and expect there won't be one for at least the next couple years. I think for the price, seems like it has the best technology and specs at this time.
All of those other cars will likely suffer far greater depreciation than the Tesla, especially the Volvo. Look at the prices of any used Volvo. Horrendous.

I rented the Volvo for a week on a trip it was a solid car and very fast.. the Google integration is cool it's like a built in Android.. but it was too small for my needs at home

You know the thing about car salespeople right? They lie. This one in particular straight up lied to your face then made up more BS about steel frames and sensors. Everything that was stated to you is straight BS. The Model Y has the highest safety rating possible and if you dig deep into the testing data or hell look at a Munro video you'd learn that the Y is levels more advanced than its competitors.

For ex.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
Tested and repeated:
I get approx 290 on my MYLR at 60mph (but I don't drive....55)
I get approx 240 at 70mph
I get approx 190 at 80mph
The furthest I've driven on my MYLR is 225 miles driving 70-75 mph using 80% of my indicated capacity (98% to 18%). I normally drive 80 mph or so but it was mainly a 2 lane road so a bit slower. I want to stop every couple of hours to stretch, etc.... so no issues, I'm very comfortable with the range. I'm sure I'd do the same if I got another EV with longer range in the future so the charging network, software integration, and then luxury features will be my priorities in that order. I've had my MY for 2.5 years now so will be ready for a change in another 2 probably but the way things are looking I'll just be getting another Tesla! I hope to be surprised by improved competition at that point but it's not looking good for maybe another 5 years I'm guessing...

Tested and repeated:
I get approx 290 on my MYLR at 60mph (but I don't drive....55)
I get approx 240 at 70mph
I get approx 190 at 80mph
That's pretty good range; I don't get that on my MYLR. I recently took a trip 111 miles one way the first 70 on interstate the rest on highway. The interstate had construction so average speed was probable more like 60 mph, never went over 70. Highway was 55 mph, which was never exceeded. I left home at 93 % charge so should have about .93x320 miles or about 300 mile range. I turned off heat as it was 55 degrees outside and little wind. When I left for home Nav told indicated I would not make it home so charging was required. That's less than 225 mile range which is really disappointing. I was the only one in the car and nav said I was below predicted battery usage by 3% on the way there. My ice SUV vehicle would have come home with over a 1/4 tank. Same experience with other trips.
While the Tesla charging infrastructure is orders of magnitude ahead of the competition, it has a way to go to make EV's great vehicles for all trips. If on interstates sure you can get there with more stops, but once off the beaten path it can become a pita. That's why I take the ice vehicle for trips. much more range, can stop on my schedule, much better ride, better safety features (blind spot monitoring) , no fantom breaking, xm sat radio. THE LIST GOES ON. I love how the MY drives, is great around town, is better than other EV's I've looked at, but it is still lacking. If I had to do it over again I would probably buy a Rav4 prime plugin. 43 miles on battery would take care of all my around town travel and no issues with charging on trips.

That's pretty good range; I don't get that on my MYLR. I recently took a trip 111 miles one way the first 70 on interstate the rest on highway. The interstate had construction so average speed was probable more like 60 mph, never went over 70. Highway was 55 mph, which was never exceeded. I left home at 93 % charge so should have about .93x320 miles or about 300 mile range. I turned off heat as it was 55 degrees outside and little wind. When I left for home Nav told indicated I would not make it home so charging was required. That's less than 225 mile range which is really disappointing. I was the only one in the car and nav said I was below predicted battery usage by 3% on the way there. My ice SUV vehicle would have come home with over a 1/4 tank. Same experience with other trips.
While the Tesla charging infrastructure is orders of magnitude ahead of the competition, it has a way to go to make EV's great vehicles for all trips. If on interstates sure you can get there with more stops, but once off the beaten path it can become a pita. That's why I take the ice vehicle for trips. much more range, can stop on my schedule, much better ride, better safety features (blind spot monitoring) , no fantom breaking, xm sat radio. THE LIST GOES ON. I love how the MY drives, is great around town, is better than other EV's I've looked at, but it is still lacking. If I had to do it over again I would probably buy a Rav4 prime plugin. 43 miles on battery would take care of all my around town travel and no issues with charging on trips.
No EV is perfect yet or near term. And the range of options is constrained, and will be for a while, as are on-the-road charging options.
You have to be open minded about it. I just jumped in with both feet and was able to swim. of course, I waited to see several friends swim first.
But for general use cases and maybe the occasional trip, more than adequate. In fact, I used to drive 30K mi per year, 150-60 per day, and it would work for that.

The mileage I get is me alone in the car with AC on.
And charging at home? Perfect, especially with Reg gas at 5+/gal here in SoCAL (when I visit TX, it's 2.78 !!!!! )

I'm curious as to the route you took... did it happen to be uphill most of the way? I would caution against the PHEVs.. you think youre getting the best of both but youre also getting the worst of both... 43 miles around town and your discharging your battery 100% everyday which leads to accelerated battery degradation also you still have to do oil changes and worry about oil leaks as time goes on.. also its slow as molasses

No EV is perfect yet or near term. And the range of options is constrained, and will be for a while, as are on-the-road charging options.
You have to be open minded about it. I just jumped in with both feet and was able to swim. of course, I waited to see several friends swim first.
But for general use cases and maybe the occasional trip, more than adequate. In fact, I used to drive 30K mi per year, 150-60 per day, and it would work for that.

The mileage I get is me alone in the car with AC on.
And charging at home? Perfect, especially with Reg gas at 5+/gal here in SoCAL (when I visit TX, it's 2.78 !!!!! )
I agree for general use particularly around town and for some trips there are great. Also I do love waking up to a full tank on electrons in the morning. One big advantage to the Tesla for me was the options for home charging. I had a 240v 20A circuit in my detached garage for a saw and it does all needed charging just fine.
One thing I didn't think through regarding trips is when leaving home you can be at 100% , but the recommendation on the road is to only charge to 80% or the charge time becomes too long; combining that with you don't drive until empty filling up around 15-20% charge. So going from 80 % down to 20 or 15% is only getting beneficial use of 60-65% of battery/range. Meaning under good conditions perhaps around 160- 200 miles between charge stops. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to get adjusted to.

I agree for general use particularly around town and for some trips there are great. Also I do love waking up to a full tank on electrons in the morning. One big advantage to the Tesla for me was the options for home charging. I had a 240v 20A circuit in my detached garage for a saw and it does all needed charging just fine.
One thing I didn't think through regarding trips is when leaving home you can be at 100% , but the recommendation on the road is to only charge to 80% or the charge time becomes too long; combining that with you don't drive until empty filling up around 15-20% charge. So going from 80 % down to 20 or 15% is only getting beneficial use of 60-65% of battery/range. Meaning under good conditions perhaps around 160- 200 miles between charge stops. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to get adjusted to.
Tesla nav plans to get you to your destination as quick as possible without risking running out of juice. As the battery charges fastest in the middle of the range normally it will keep you there on your trip. You can always charge sooner or later if desired but make sure to put in the supercharger as your destination so your battery preconditions properly to again, minimize charging time. Also use A Better Routeplanner when planning your trip, first updating the settings with your vehicle and other details to improve the accuracy of the routing. Many of us have been taking long trips for years and after your first one you'll see it's much easier than you think!

Look: The S.O. and I have had an M3 since 2018. We sold the Prius in the garage and went looking for another BEV in late 2021.

Test rode a Ford Mustang. Small trunk, small frunk, MPGe less than MY. VW ID.4 had totally confusing NAV panel, extremely non-intuitive.

You get in the MY and it Just Drives. No muss, no fuss, and its 270 W-hr/mile blows away the competition. At speed, too. Intuitive operation with that flat screen, really.

And charging.. you can roam the US and it’s really, really hard to find a broken Supercharger. No fumbling around with credit cards, dongles, funky keychains: Just plug the car in and one is DONE. And back on one’s way in 20 minutes. Go to supercharge.info and pull up the map: Nobody has a charging infrastructure like it.

Been all over the East Coast from MA to FL and as far west as Chicago and Kentucky. The MY rides better than the M3 and has ridiculous storage.

The Supercharger network costs about 3x the cost of charging at home, which makes it about as expensive (in terms of fuel) as that Prius, with a better ride, pickup, 2.5 the room for luggage, and durn near zero maintenance. Charge at home with L2 (recommended) and the other guys, BEV and ICE/hybrid get blown out of the water on costs.

Tesla’s been making BEVs since, what, 2004 or something? Everybody else is just playing catch-up. In another 5 years the competition will get there, maybe, but why screw around now?

It’s like 2010 and buying a hybrid: one could get a Prius or that Honda Insight. Similar specs, look about the same-but the Prius was clearly the better car, more room, better pickup, better mileage, and, as we all found out later, a better drivetrain without early battery capacity death.

Don’t mess around.
This is probably one of the better comparison and feedback I've read. I went through all of this myself when deciding on the MY and honestly, you nailed all the points that won me over. People are always ready to talk about the competition and I'm all for it BUT if you need an EV now, it's hard not to pick a Tesla. In 5+ years, sure, there might be others and Tesla might not be a good buy but that gives you at least 5 years of ownership.

Why deal with messing around for other car manu to figure it out. If people think Tesla is still beta on a bunch of their stuff, just imagine the other car manu with their first variant. The build quality (fit/finish) might be better but the day to day reality of owning an EV might now be there just yet.

This is probably one of the better comparison and feedback I've read. I went through all of this myself when deciding on the MY and honestly, you nailed all the points that won me over. People are always ready to talk about the competition and I'm all for it BUT if you need an EV now, it's hard not to pick a Tesla. In 5+ years, sure, there might be others and Tesla might not be a good buy but that gives you at least 5 years of ownership.

Why deal with messing around for other car manu to figure it out. If people think Tesla is still beta on a bunch of their stuff, just imagine the other car manu with their first variant. The build quality (fit/finish) might be better but the day to day reality of owning an EV might now be there just yet.
This hits the nail on its head. Originally I was going to buy an Audi Etron as I love the look, ride quality and the fit&finish, but the more research I did, the more I was convinced that Tesla is the only right choice. The tech, the battery, the design from scratch and the charging network are unmatched for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: cusetownusa