Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Y better than other all electric SUVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree for general use particularly around town and for some trips there are great. Also I do love waking up to a full tank on electrons in the morning. One big advantage to the Tesla for me was the options for home charging. I had a 240v 20A circuit in my detached garage for a saw and it does all needed charging just fine.
One thing I didn't think through regarding trips is when leaving home you can be at 100% , but the recommendation on the road is to only charge to 80% or the charge time becomes too long; combining that with you don't drive until empty filling up around 15-20% charge. So going from 80 % down to 20 or 15% is only getting beneficial use of 60-65% of battery/range. Meaning under good conditions perhaps around 160- 200 miles between charge stops. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to get adjusted to.
for what Ive looked at, long distance trip planning tends towards charging every 175 miles

Reactions: DrGriz
I'm curious as to the route you took... did it happen to be uphill most of the way? I would caution against the PHEVs.. you think youre getting the best of both but youre also getting the worst of both... 43 miles around town and your discharging your battery 100% everyday which leads to accelerated battery degradation also you still have to do oil changes and worry about oil leaks as time goes on.. also its slow as molasses
PHEV is worse than that.
All the maintenance of an ICE vehicle, plus the complexity of the hybrid configuration to fix.
no thanks

Reactions: Occhis and gt2690b
This hits the nail on its head. Originally I was going to buy an Audi Etron as I love the look, ride quality and the fit&finish, but the more research I did, the more I was convinced that Tesla is the only right choice. The tech, the battery, the design from scratch and the charging network are unmatched for the foreseeable future.
Haha, I was researching the Etron too but then I thought, I really going to be dealing with the same dealership that have the back end infrastructure of an ICE manu. I'll still have to deal with random dealership tactics and even the service bs. It's like getting half of your body wet in a swimming pool, just take the plunge while the weather is hot, lol.

I finally had a day off to go to some car dealerships and ask about what some on this thread have mentioned about cost and availability of the alternatives. Since Mach-e and Id.4 seem to have significant issues at this time, I didn't look at those. I looked at the Volvo C40 and they had very limited stock (2 in stock, with a bright blue interior). The interior screen and buttons looked a little clunky, there was less cargo space, and the out the door price was about the same as the Tesla.

The sales person at Volvo did say that compared to Tesla, Volvo was ranked the #1 safest electric SUV car by IIHS. I know the IIHS scoring, but was not aware of an actual ranking list. He also said it is the safest car because the steel frame Volvo has that Tesla does not have and that its various types of sensors /radar/lidar, though I am not sure that more types of sensors makes a safer car, though this is not an area I know very much about. The last I checked, NHTSA had rated Tesla the best overall SUV for front/side/roll overs of those I could find. Any thoughts on Volvo feeling their car is safer than Tesla?

I realized the Audi out the door price is actually higher than the Tesla Y, so I didn't look at it either.

I went and looked at both the Ioniq and Mercedes EQB. The out the door price of those cars are in the same range of the Tesla, +/- a couple thousand. Both dealerships confirmed they have been hard to come by, and they did not currently have any to sell, though both said they would in the next 1-2 months. The Ioniq exterior looked more like a hatchback than an SUV and the one they had on display looked like a space vehicle with small storage space. The EQB as others have said looked more like an SUV, but with less cargo space than the Tesla.

Even though the Tesla seems overpriced right now, I don't see a better option in the same price range or cheaper, and expect there won't be one for at least the next couple years. I think for the price, seems like it has the best technology and specs at this time.

You know the thing about car salespeople right? They lie. This one in particular straight up lied to your face then made up more BS about steel frames and sensors. Everything that was stated to you is straight BS. The Model Y has the highest safety rating possible and if you dig deep into the testing data or hell look at a Munro video you'd learn that the Y is levels more advanced than its competitors.

For ex.

Lol thank you. I really couldn't find any IIHS report that said Volvo is number one as he has said either. I asked him if he could show me the website, and he said to look at volvo.vom.

Lol thank you. I really couldn't find any IIHS report that said Volvo is number one as he has said either. I asked him if he could show me the website, and he said to look at volvo.com.
Yeah. So, a dealership sales critter says to go look at his own company's web site for the IIHS data. Instead of the IIHS for its rankings. Give me 30 seconds here.

Go to IIHS, search for Tesla, find Model Y, 4-door SUV. It Says: "Top Safety Pick+". Says it's a Midsize Luxury SUV.

Next: Same place, Volvo C40. Also says "Top Safety Pick+". Says it's a Small Luxury SUV.

The Tesla has mainly Good and Superior, with a maybe on the headlights, which may be "Acceptable" depending upon trip.

The C40 has a buncha green bars - but fewer than the Tesla. And a "Poor" on the seat belt reminders.

So, the C40 is apparently a slightly less safe car than the Tesla (both are probably a zillion times better than the '71 VW Bug deathtrap I used to ride around in), and the C40 is a smaller car.

So, the sales guy from Volvo is puffing up the vehicle he/she's got for sale, that's what sales people do. The better car by IIHS specs? The Tesla.

And this is why one has to be careful about sales critters.

Yeah. So, a dealership sales critter says to go look at his own company's web site for the IIHS data. Instead of the IIHS for its rankings. Give me 30 seconds here.

Go to IIHS, search for Tesla, find Model Y, 4-door SUV. It Says: "Top Safety Pick+". Says it's a Midsize Luxury SUV.

Next: Same place, Volvo C40. Also says "Top Safety Pick+". Says it's a Small Luxury SUV.

The Tesla has mainly Good and Superior, with a maybe on the headlights, which may be "Acceptable" depending upon trip.

The C40 has a buncha green bars - but fewer than the Tesla. And a "Poor" on the seat belt reminders.

So, the C40 is apparently a slightly less safe car than the Tesla (both are probably a zillion times better than the '71 VW Bug deathtrap I used to ride around in), and the C40 is a smaller car.

So, the sales guy from Volvo is puffing up the vehicle he/she's got for sale, that's what sales people do. The better car by IIHS specs? The Tesla.

And this is why one has to be careful about sales critters.
Really good points. Also IIHS says again and again you can only compare cars in the same size category, because the weight of the car matters, with heavier typically being safer in a collision (to my understanding).

In terms of the Volvo sensors, I don't think more types are necessarily better but I am disappointed that the Tesla I am getting does not have the USS anymore, but the vision is tech is not yet finished on arrival.

Really good points. Also IIHS says again and again you can only compare cars in the same size category, because the weight of the car matters, with heavier typically being safer in a collision (to my understanding).

In terms of the Volvo sensors, I don't think more types are necessarily better but I am disappointed that the Tesla I am getting does not have the USS anymore, but the vision is tech is not yet finished on arrival.
Strangely I just looked at the vehicle weight and Volvo is about 300 pounds heavier than the Tesla Y, but the Y is slightly taller and longer.

Strangely I just looked at the vehicle weight and Volvo is about 300 pounds heavier than the Tesla Y, but the Y is slightly taller and longer.
Won’t be the weight that’ll make a car a small or mid-sized SUV: It’ll be the interior volume.

If the Volvo weighs more and has the same range, then a less efficient motor leads to a bigger battery pack, and the double whammy probably doesn’t do much for the mileage efficiency.

Reactions: CaliforniaTes1
The Volvo is crap dude, it's a shared ICE platform. It's better in Polestar branding because of the options but... Look up the battery replacement for Volvo/Polestar, it's almost the cost of the whole car. For Hyundai/Kia its 30K, half the cost of the car. On the 3/Y you're looking at 10K-16K. There are other hidden costs too, like Hyundai/Kia's ridonkulous coolant replacement costs, etc etc.

When the Q6 Etron or Macan EV with 300+ mile range comes ~2024, Model Y is dead except for the charging network that is the Tesla advantage. MY is subpar driving, quality and comfort experience. Was ok at $50k, but the car is not anywhere near worth $80k. I spent ~50k miles in MY at this point across several cars. The M3 is a different story and has the handling and comfort far ahead.

• Disagree
Reactions: thesmokingman
When the Q6 Etron or Macan EV with 300+ mile range comes ~2024, Model Y is dead except for the charging network that is the Tesla advantage. MY is subpar driving, quality and comfort experience. Was ok at $50k, but the car is not anywhere near worth $80k. I spent ~50k miles in MY at this point across several cars. The M3 is a different story and has the handling and comfort far ahead.
I don't agree with that assessment. The Audi and Macan will both likely be much more expensive than the Tesla MY (which doesn't have markups). Neither the Audi nor the Porsche have the option of a 3rd row seat. The MY 3rd row is clearly not mean for long distances, but for those of us with multiple kids, it comes in very handy in a pinch on short trips. Tesla would be wise to keep its supercharger network for the exclusive use of Teslas. The minute they open it up to other makes, it'll instantly lower the Tesla premium.

I love my MY but I bought it in 2021 at
$50,490 base price. Couldn’t afford it now and agree it won’t stack up against “real” competition.

However, Tesla can drop price by $12K and still make a profit. The price cuts are coming!!

I don't agree with that assessment. The Audi and Macan will both likely be much more expensive than the Tesla MY (which doesn't have markups). Neither the Audi nor the Porsche have the option of a 3rd row seat. The MY 3rd row is clearly not mean for long distances, but for those of us with multiple kids, it comes in very handy in a pinch on short trips. Tesla would be wise to keep its supercharger network for the exclusive use of Teslas. The minute they open it up to other makes, it'll instantly lower the Tesla premium.
The Q6 Etron is likely not pushing much above a MY as it will be priced lower than the Q8 Etron (current MSRP gives a good idea). Sure, certain models and trims, the Macan EV or RQ6, RSQ6 will be higher. At current driving and QC experience, the MY at $70k is a waste. Rather pay a little more and get a solid car. At 21k miles, our MY rattles like a 1980s truck and not a single interior panel seem to be stuck in place.

Last edited:
The Q6 Etron is likely not pushing much above a MY as it will be priced lower than the Q8 Etron (current MSRP gives a good idea). Sure, certain models and trims, the Macan EV or RQ6, RSQ6 will be higher. At current driving and QC experience, the MY at $70k is a waste. Rather pay a little more and get a solid car. At 21k miles, our MY rattles like a 1980s truck and not a single interior panel seem to be stuck in place.
Q6 etron isn't out yet. The regular etron suv at my local Audi dealer is selling for $76-89k. Huge dealer's packs. I doubt anyone touches a Macan EV without a huge dealer's pack either. My 2022 MY has almost no rattles. I was pleasantly surprised. However as a current Porsche 911 owner, former Audi allroad owner, and multiple Mercedes S and SL class owner, I will tell you than when you go into those dealerships for service, you'd better be prepared to be raped.......hard. I'm not saying the MY is perfect but the answer for everyone, but until you've experienced the cost of German car ownership, you may not understand the true expense of these things. Just because it's an EV doesn't mean everything else doesn't need service or repair.

So I have delivery this weekend, and this USS issue is making me really consider canceling my order. I am getting the car for the safety features and am now concerned the lack of the USS takes away from this, and the vision cameras won't be able to to restore what the USS did as Tesla is saying they will. My question is this:
- Are they going to be disabling everyone USS from prior to 2023 anyway?
- Are the USS important for safety (like collision mitigation/avoidance, not running over kids running behind/in front of the car), or is it more for just parking assists/convenience?
I like in SoCal for frequent fog/snow blocking the cameras won't be a huge issue. But how will the cameras see the space below the bumper for example? So conflicted now about proceeding with delivery. I really don't like that they removed the USS prior to having the vision ready to go so we could see if we are really missing out.