Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Y better than other all electric SUVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you meant to say is, 50 odd switches that Tesla didn’t have to pay to design, build and fit, whilst making zero difference to the price charged. No switches is all about profit potential.

or ... 50 odd switches that Tesla didn't have to incorporate, so that when we all finally stop owning cars and instead order one from a fleet when we need it, everything that was controlled by a switch will instead be controlled by your electronic profile

Reactions: Dennisis
or ... 50 odd switches that Tesla didn't have to incorporate, so that when we all finally stop owning cars and instead order one from a fleet when we need it, everything that was controlled by a switch will instead be controlled by your electronic profile
Old news and a red herring. My last 3 cars with switches already did this. In the case of BMW there were even 8 switches that were programmed to be whatever switch I needed them to be, as well as remembering the setting.

sure....a profile that can be hacked, surveilled by government, and remotely suspended from use.
maybe it's not such the great idea

sure....a profile that can be hacked, surveilled by government, and remotely suspended from use.
maybe it's not such the great idea
Well, our cars are all connected now right? If big brother, hackers, etc.. want to know what we listen to or our seat positions or something I guess we're all taking that risk regardless. Put me down with the "no knobs" crowd.

Hi all, We have been on the waitlist for the Tesla Model Y for close to a year now. Tesla told us to expect the car this month and now I am getting cold feat since the car is way more than I have ever spent on a car. So I am looking at the all-electric competition in the lower price range and wondering if anyone could help me justify why the Tesla Y is better than these cheaper all electric alternative SUVs:

Ford Mustang Mach-E

Volkswagen ID.4

Volvo C40

Hyundai Ioniq

Audi Q4 etron
Ford Mustang Mach-E - only EV not recommended by CR. Some electronic issue owners claim is fixed. But i've read a lot of problems, lemon buybacks and bricked cars while researching.

Volkswagen ID.4 - great value and package. Terrible capacitive touch controls but definitely a great choice. New factory opened up so supply should be good and will qualify for at least $3750 credit (if you qualify).

Volvo C40 - reskinned ICE car. expensive for what it is

Hyundai Ioniq - much smaller than the Y, ID4 in usable space. Feels cheap inside but great design and seems trouble free.

Audi Q4 etron - Reskinned ID4. Better interior and controls. Dealers are going to only sell loaded models and mark up. They will easily be the same price or more than a MY.

On your list the only one that makes sense is the ID4 that is around $10k cheaper at comparable size. Midrange models feel nice inside and well equipped. More hard plastics than the MY but for the money, great.

Ford Mustang Mach-E - only EV not recommended by CR. Some electronic issue owners claim is fixed. But i've read a lot of problems, lemon buybacks and bricked cars while researching.

Volkswagen ID.4 - great value and package. Terrible capacitive touch controls but definitely a great choice. New factory opened up so supply should be good and will qualify for at least $3750 credit (if you qualify).

Volvo C40 - reskinned ICE car. expensive for what it is

Hyundai Ioniq - much smaller than the Y, ID4 in usable space. Feels cheap inside but great design and seems trouble free.

Audi Q4 etron - Reskinned ID4. Better interior and controls. Dealers are going to only sell loaded models and mark up. They will easily be the same price or more than a MY.

On your list the only one that makes sense is the ID4 that is around $10k cheaper at comparable size. Midrange models feel nice inside and well equipped. More hard plastics than the MY but for the money, great.
I would reiterate how bad the VW ID series is, like really bad and in turn the Audi will be, since they're the same car. In China VW is getting hammered for this and the issues are fundamental to its operation. Germans absolutely suck with electronics and software, though its not a stretch to say legacy sucks in software. The Chinese EV brands are actually not too far from Tesla in software and the lagacies are not even playing on the same gameboard so to speak.

• Helpful
Reactions: HSATD
I certainly see how the concept can appeal.
however, if someone needs further encouragement to get an EV than now, I submit they're not going to jump in anyway until the evidence is overwhelming.
why invite further potential for trouble - just stay with ICE.
With PHEV, you're adding weight, reducing MPG, reducing performance, and enriching others by paying more, all for little benefit.

To be fair - some PHEVs manage pretty darn good fuel efficiency by emulating a standard IC hybrid.

I see it as transitional. PHEV is an EV with IC-training wheels. Get folks used to plugging in and gliding around town while still feeling like they can no-brainer a long trip on gas. For the non-car enthusiasts, it's a decent idea until we get more charging stations and higher density batteries

I would reiterate how bad the VW ID series is, like really bad and in turn the Audi will be, since they're the same car. In China VW is getting hammered for this and the issues are fundamental to its operation. Germans absolutely suck with electronics and software, though its not a stretch to say legacy sucks in software. The Chinese EV brands are actually not too far from Tesla in software and the lagacies are not even playing on the same gameboard so to speak.

naw, don't even listen to that viking guy. clickbait videos.

No one is close to Tesla in software or technology. Chinese or otherwise.

ID4 is doing very well and has enough road users with enough miles to say it's a competitive product.

ID4 is doing very well and has enough road users with enough miles to say it's a competitive product.
It's not just the Electric Viking.

I was one of the original VW ID.4 fan boys and was one of the first VW ID.4 owners in the US, however after a year and a half the car is having too many issues and so are the ID.4 cars of many other owners. Yet VW hasn't done an over the year update ever since releasing the car here in the US.
Counterpoint:

Here's Why I Ordered A Volkswagen ID.4 Over A Tesla Model Y​

It's not just the Electric Viking.

I was one of the original VW ID.4 fan boys and was one of the first VW ID.4 owners in the US, however after a year and a half the car is having too many issues and so are the ID.4 cars of many other owners. Yet VW hasn't done an over the year update ever since releasing the car here in the US.
Counterpoint:

Here's Why I Ordered A Volkswagen ID.4 Over A Tesla Model Y​

LOL that's funny you (and the other member) cite the two clickbaity ev youtubers. Viking and this guy. This guy used to have an open mind, and then went full negative and self-righteous. I guess he got views so he went all in.

ID4 is a good product, good value for a ev suv. I would have no qualms buying one.

LOL that's funny you (and the other member) cite the two clickbaity ev youtubers. Viking and this guy. This guy used to have an open mind, and then went full negative and self-righteous. I guess he got views so he went all in.

ID4 is a good product, good value for a ev suv. I would have no qualms buying one.
Is "click baity" now synonymous with "woke" meaning nothing more than "something I don't like"?

It would be great if you could refute, rebut, or even discuss the arguments you disagree with instead of using ad hominem attacks. I even provided a pro-ID.4 video that you seemed to ignore. Alex Guberman (E for Electric) was an ID.4 advocate and fanboi until it got to he point he hated the car. It seems rather facile to label that sea change of opinion as mere "click bait".

I would enjoy learning more about the pros and cons of ID.4s from you but such a discussion would have to transcend personal declarations and name calling.

Reactions: thesmokingman
I had a Prius that went 230k before burning oil.. I had a model s that went 150k and I sold because I could actually make more than what I bought it for.. now have a Y with 30k and it's a dream I will never go back to even partial ICE it's a dinosaur.. I expect to get 300k out of this car.. that said it's not worth 65k they are charging now

Reactions: EV Car
Is "click baity" now synonymous with "woke" meaning nothing more than "something I don't like"?

It would be great if you could refute, rebut, or even discuss the arguments you disagree with instead of using ad hominem attacks. I even provided a pro-ID.4 video that you seemed to ignore. Alex Guberman (E for Electric) was an ID.4 advocate and fanboi until it got to he point he hated the car. It seems rather facile to label that sea change of opinion as mere "click bait".

I would enjoy learning more about the pros and cons of ID.4s from you but such a discussion would have to transcend personal declarations and name calling.
I didn't attack you nor call you any names.
and you didn't put up anything yourself to comment on besides the videos. And, that Alex G and EViking are both ones that I am not interested in watching because they are simply looking for views through drama and click-baity, argumentative style that I dislike.

If you want to discuss something, i'm happy to. Yes, you linked another reviewer. I've seen his channel (and his fathers) and both are reasonable, balanced reviewers I thought.
But linking youtube reviewers as validation is... not discussion. If so I could link a thousand anti-Tesla videos and articles.

Last edited: