Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, unfortunately not available.
Curious, before i saw your post I checked Tire Rack website and found they have the following sizes:

265/45ZR20 104Y
275/45ZR20 110W

I think these sizes are a match for the car. Is it the load ratings that don't match? The latter should be fine, but 104Y might not be sufficient for a 5500 lb vehicle.

Edit: looks like load rating 104 is for 900kg, which should be more than enough. I think I recall seeing that the oem wheels are rated to 875kg or something.

Last edited:
Curious, before i saw your post I checked Tire Rack website and found they have the following sizes:

265/45ZR20 104Y
275/45ZR20 110W

I think these sizes are a match for the car. Is it the load ratings that don't match? The latter should be fine, but 104Y might not be sufficient for a 5500 lb vehicle.
Yes, I think a 108+ load index would be more appropriate, plus I think it may not be the best idea to mismatch speed ratings (Y vs W). The 265 is not XL load range.

Unfortunately the Michelin's are delayed to next week so installation has been rescheduled to next Wed.

Diameter of all the tires is the same though, which would make the sidewall exactly the same, possibly more or less curved. You can add them to the compare feature Tire Rack has and see. Am I missing something? If the MYP has 21" wheels it uses much lower profile tires anyway, not 45s - 35s I think, and they cannot be compared - will be a much lower profile tire.
How are the new tires?

How are the new tires?
Love them! They made the car MUCH more planted, much less road vibrations (running them at 42 PSI cold - under the recommended 45), and it is just a completely different drive. Still doesn't match the smoothness of something like the EQS but I was surprised how much better it is performance and road noise wise. I totally recommend getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 - for me it is night and day. There is a bit more road noise vs the Continentals with windows open especially, but nothing too distracting. Consumption is pretty much the same for me.

I still have a high speed steering wheel vibration (but anything under 65 mph is good) and I have started getting a steering assist reduced alert that is new for a couple of weeks, before the Michelins. I have an appointment next week for the service center to check it out and will bring up the steering vibration that seems to be just at the steering wheel, definitely not balancing since it is just the steering that vibrates. I mean you can see it "pulsating" if you don't hold it really hard with both hands.

Love them! They made the car MUCH more planted, much less road vibrations (running them at 42 PSI cold - under the recommended 45), and it is just a completely different drive. Still doesn't match the smoothness of something like the EQS but I was surprised how much better it is performance and road noise wise. I totally recommend getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 - for me it is night and day. There is a bit more road noise vs the Continentals with windows open especially, but nothing too distracting. Consumption is pretty much the same for me.

I still have a high speed steering wheel vibration (but anything under 65 mph is good) and I have started getting a steering assist reduced alert that is new for a couple of weeks, before the Michelins. I have an appointment next week for the service center to check it out and will bring up the steering vibration that seems to be just at the steering wheel, definitely not balancing since it is just the steering that vibrates. I mean you can see it "pulsating" if you don't hold it really hard with both hands.
Appreciate the follow-up. This confirms what my next set of tires will be. I hope you're able to get the steering vibration issue sorted... would love to know what the final resolution is there once Service has their way with the vehicle.

Mine came with pilot sport EV tires and ride is much much better and quieter than the continentals I test drove.
IMG_9649.jpeg

Mine came with pilot sport EV tires and ride is much much better and quieter than the continentals I test drove.View attachment 979084
That is awesome, but unfortunately I do need all season tires. Beyond the occasional snow, we have many days of under 40 degrees weather.

So the service center says that the steering wheel vibration at 65+ is a known issue that will be corrected with a future software update and all have it more or less. Note, this vibration can only be felt on the steering wheel, nowhere else. Anybody else has heard of that?

• Informative
Reactions: EightBitWhit
That is awesome, but unfortunately I do need all season tires. Beyond the occasional snow, we have many days of under 40 degrees weather.

So the service center says that the steering wheel vibration at 65+ is a known issue that will be corrected with a future software update and all have it more or less. Note, this vibration can only be felt on the steering wheel, nowhere else. Anybody else has heard of that?
Now this is interesting...Service is saying they can correct a steering wheel shudder with a software update? Crazy - but great all at the same time.

I don't experience any vibration (that I can tell) above 65+ but I'll pay extra attention now to see if I can pick up on it. My car has - despite the trash tires - a very smooth ride at all speeds, so I've not noticed anything to point. But I'll certainly take the fix when its ready to help address anything latent.

Reactions: James Cole
Now this is interesting...Service is saying they can correct a steering wheel shudder with a software update? Crazy - but great all at the same time.

I don't experience any vibration (that I can tell) above 65+ but I'll pay extra attention now to see if I can pick up on it. My car has - despite the trash tires - a very smooth ride at all speeds, so I've not noticed anything to point. But I'll certainly take the fix when its ready to help address anything latent.

The amount of pulsing and power behaviors one can control with electric motors is abismal compared to combustion engines.

As far as quality, panel gaps and rattles I got lucky with this one. I can't find anything big, and zero rattles (except of a balloons rubbing together noise from the falcon doors that I fix weekly by applying leather conditioner at their bottom where they meet the frame).

I'm experiencing the same sounds with our 2023 X now. Can you detail a bit more what you did?

I'm experiencing the same sounds with our 2023 X now. Can you detail a bit more what you did?

Just open the falcon doors and apply a generous amount of leather conditioner at the pleather that is at the bottom of the doors all the way around, where if they were closed, you wouldn't see that part from inside.

BTW, it seems to be getting better and now I don't have to apply conditioner every week - graduated to 2+ weeks lol.

Just open the falcon doors and apply a generous amount of leather conditioner at the pleather that is at the bottom of the doors all the way around, where if they were closed, you wouldn't see that part from inside.

BTW, it seems to be getting better and now I don't have to apply conditioner every week - graduated to 2+ weeks lol.
I'm taking this advice as preventative maintenance!

Well... Tesla reschedules my appointment for tomorrow (to replace front half shafts) to end of October. One month push out saying they are "overbooked."
Not sure how my appointment booked a month ago is all of a sudden "overbooked". I'm thinking they have bunch of new cars they need to service before delivery with recent price cuts. Anyways, no update from me until end of October.
[Update] I just had my 3rd appt at Tesla Austin SC. Their lead tech said my half shafts are fine and the front vibration issue (including in seats) is now a widespread issue. He states Tesla Engineering is actively working on an OTA update for this and is driven by uneven torque distribution. OTA update will be to adjust motor controls during acceleration.
They don’t have a date on when this OTA update will roll out.

[Update] I just had my 3rd appt at Tesla Austin SC. Their lead tech said my half shafts are fine and the front vibration issue (including in seats) is now a widespread issue. He states Tesla Engineering is actively working on an OTA update for this and is driven by uneven torque distribution. OTA update will be to adjust motor controls during acceleration.
They don’t have a date on when this OTA update will roll out.

I have an appointment on 11/3 to address and in the notes it states, "Update vehicle software to reduce vibration".

IMG_6503.jpeg