Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to prop up the wipers in advance of snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before moving to Colorado 20+ years ago, I'd never seen it (even in Montreal where they have some intense winters). Some people here do it but I've never bothered since. We don't have ice storms like other parts of the country and usually all I have to do is quickly scrape along the edge of them.
I think that's the key, we don't get a ton of ice, we get snow, but it's well below freezing when it happens usually, so you just brush it off. I'm not saying I haven't had wipers freeze to the windshield, but it's relatively rare. I guess it's a climate difference.

I think that's the key, we don't get a ton of ice, we get snow, but it's well below freezing when it happens usually, so you just brush it off. I'm not saying I haven't had wipers freeze to the windshield, but it's relatively rare. I guess it's a climate difference.

Maybe it is a regional thing. Anyone recognize the licence plates in the Google image I posted. Looked like it could be Ohio to me, but can't be sure at that angle.

If you park a warmed-up car when it's snowing, wouldn't you get the melt and re-freeze scenario I described above?

We park one car outside (not my Model S :wink:) and if the weather looks rough, I will always prop the wipers up like this.

Maybe it is a regional thing. Anyone recognize the licence plates in the Google image I posted. Looked like it could be Ohio to me, but can't be sure at that angle.
Idaho

If you park a warmed-up car when it's snowing, wouldn't you get the melt and re-freeze scenario I described above?
sort of, but it never seems to be an issue. Not sure I could explain why not though...

Lots of cars in my work parking lot like that too so I tried leaving my wipers in service mode yesterday before the snow. On the glass. They did not ice to the windshield.
I cleared off the windshield OK, but the wipers seemed to park higher than usual.
When I got home I opened the front trunk and found hard-packed snow where the wipers are supposed to park, so I climbed in and cleared it all out.
From now on I'll be leaving my wipers in the off position like I used to. It's easier to get the snow off the wipers than out of their park crevice.

Yes, you have to open the frunk to clear that area properly. Overall a poor windshield wiper parking design... but probably just fine in California :smile:
What's the bet that all of Tesla's "cold weather testing" didn't involve parking outdoors overnight in the snow.... It's the same mentality that gives us a heated steering wheel buried in a sub-menu, and various other "california decisions"

Gonna need more than 15 minutes.

car wipers.JPG

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
FWIW, my car parks outside and is plugged in.

Like Elon says, some dude above arctic circle owns a bazillion of them. Still doesn't make it a pleasant experience.

I was going to get rid of my gas burner after this winter, but now I've decided I need it for the life of the Tesla, or at least until we double to triple the supercharger density around here.

It would be nice if it were possible to start the cold weather package heaters using the remote app.

A lot of things would. But I have a feeling that mostly what's standing between this stuff and us having it is Elon having to live with the car a couple days in sub-freezing temperatures and with snow/freezing on the car.. Maybe the NY solarcity plant will do it.

Ditto that! As well as to switch on defrosters. Being able to turn on climate control remotely is useful, but it would have more value if we could adjust air flow, turn on wiper heaters, rear window defroster, etc.

Cold weather is an afterthought in the car. Just look how deep the heated steering wheel control is buried in the interface. It doesn't take a genius to code up a software update that does the "right thing" in these situations.

Not so. In service mode they can be pulled away from the windshield and stay in that position. I know -- did that in our 30" snow storm several weeks ago.

on my car, that results in detaching a spring that is very, very difficult to reattach.

If you are plugged in, it will use shore power, not the battery.

Are you sure? On my car, it drains the battery and then eventually recharges.