Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the new charging rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Since this was late in the night, there were very few cars and I wasn't sharing power with anyone. I had tried 2 other locations on different days and had the same result. Apparently, this is not enough evidence to look into my car without the diagnostic fee of $95.
Any recommendations?
it was cold or you were not driving enough to warm the battery enough first.
the fact that at the end you were getting a higher SOC + charge rate than at the beginning tells me the battery was closer to an ideal charging temperature later but not when you started charging. You would(should?) have been getting about 60-65kW at 48% if your battery was conditioned

If if is in the 50Fs I get something like ~30kW charge capped at 50% or less SOC even

I had scheduled a service appointment to look into the charging issues. Tesla support called me and explained that there are no issues with the car, as per some remote diagnostics that they ran - is that even a thing to check the battery?

In the service request, I had shared pictures (attached) of the center console with starting, mid and final charging state as follows:
a) 11:03pm - 48% - 29kW
a) 11:14pm - 55% - 32kW
a) 11:58pm - 84% - 24kW

Since this was late in the night, there were very few cars and I wasn't sharing power with anyone. I had tried 2 other locations on different days and had the same result. Apparently, this is not enough evidence to look into my car without the diagnostic fee of $95.

Any recommendations?

There isn't anything to diagnose unfortunately, it was software limited by Tesla. They will tell you "everything is fine" even if you pay the fee. Welcome to your new supercharging speed.

Here is mine in May of 2019:
IMG_4385.jpg

And on 12/31:
IMG_5298.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The thing that really grates my cheese isn't just the super slow supercharging speed but also the wildly inaccurate time estimates it gives now; it'll say that it's going to take 20 minutes to charge my car from 62 to 80%, and then 20 minutes later the car is at 66% and it says it'll take 20 minutes.

This nerfed charging speed is going to absolutely destroy the supercharger network capacity -- every stall is going to be filled with old-timers polishing their dentures while a line of hipsters in trucks and Ys gets frustrated.

There isn't anything to diagnose unfortunately, it was software limited by Tesla. They will tell you "everything is fine" even if you pay the fee. Welcome to your new supercharging speed.

Here is mine in May of 2019:
View attachment 496104

And on 12/31:
View attachment 496105
I see, so this is the new normal now. I hope the class action lawsuit results in something.

I'm seeing similar slow charge speeds. I just had Tesla remote diagnostics done and, yes you guessed it, everything is fine. My car is heavily crippled yet they claim everything is working fine. It is an absolute disgrace how Tesla treats it's early supporters. How two-faced that they tout their own horn how they have the fastest charge speeds and totally screw over the old cars. Again, I'm happy and excited that technology moves on. But downgrading all old cars because 'oops, I guess we damaged your batteries by allowing you to charge faster than it was healthy for the battery', that's f-ed up. They sold us the super fast charge speed back then and we had trust in Elon.

Well first road trip with v10 and I at least have a positive data point to report. I hit 147 kW / 500+ mph at Beaty, NV. Arrived at 8% charge, started at 54 kW then steadily rose to 147 kW at 27% soc, then slowly went down to around 90 kW when I left at 60% soc. Ambient temp was 35F. In past years, the highest I had seen at any supercharger (including that same spot) was 115 kW. I do 2-3 road trips a year...maybe 60 total super charging sessions.

20200104_224840.jpg

Software is 2019.40.2.1

The thing that really grates my cheese isn't just the super slow supercharging speed but also the wildly inaccurate time estimates it gives now; it'll say that it's going to take 20 minutes to charge my car from 62 to 80%, and then 20 minutes later the car is at 66% and it says it'll take 20 minutes.
Yeah, they have to know this is hugely wrong but don't want to show it..... Imagine the pictures hitting the web of 80+ mins to supercharge to 90%

... sorry, I need to be a bit more precise here: I am referring to the #chargegate affected S85/S70 classics (which is the whole fleet of them), and their by-software-reduced chargerate (example, see below):

SoC kW
10 81
15 80
20 83
25 79
30 75
35 70
40 65
45 61
50 54
55 46
60 42
65 39
70 35

Duration: 47 minutes (10-70%)

2019.40.2.3 40ef2d4d
S85 - Dec 2014, AP1
100'240km

This is pretty much what I experienced during our 1100 mile road trip over the holidays. On one stop, I pulled into the Supercharger at 19% SoC and saw a very brief spike to 97kW that a second later dropped to 80kW, then tapered down like yours. The last road trip we did was about 2600 miles last July. Every time I pulled into a Supercharger at around 20% SoC, it started at 116kW and stayed over 90kW until about 60%. This new rate is nearly doubling charging stops. We might have to drive an ICE car for our trip to Canada this Summer.

Well first road trip with v10 and I at least have a positive data point to report. I hit 147 kW / 500+ mph at Beaty, NV. Arrived at 8% charge, started at 54 kW then steadily rose to 147 kW at 27% soc, then slowly went down to around 90 kW when I left at 60% soc. Ambient temp was 35F. In past years, the highest I had seen at any supercharger (including that same spot) was 115 kW. I do 2-3 road trips a year...maybe 60 total super charging sessions.

View attachment 496613

Software is 2019.40.2.1

What model do you have? Somehow I have not been affected by this with my P85D. But if I was I guarantee you they would fix I can promise you that. What pisses me off is that the updates will be forced even if you don’t have them set to update or even if you make sure it won’t get WiFi. I had a P90DL that had that BS where you could not use max battery for like 6 months after an update and after that I always wait too see what happens before doing one. Now it has forced updates twice. I even tried too interrupt one of them cause I had *sugar* to do and it decided it was going to do an update regardless.
Based on my driving and charging habits I’m shocked I haven’t had this happen. If it does I’ll let you know what I do to get it back to normal since I’ve had many owners tell me things I’ve been able to force Tesla to do never happens. Like making them give me a brand new V3 battery with 16k miles on my car cuz I was only getting 460kw and told them it had to be around 500kw for the car I bought (2016.5 P90DL) And I would only accept the same V3 battery I had or the one after that was even better and they had to be new. I think they might have got 2 words out (obviously the fist employee got the manager and the manager might have said a sentence before realizing what type of situation it was going to be) and I had him telling me I would get 100 battery if they had too, just to end any confrontation that would have happened. In the end I got a brand new V3 battery, the better of the 2.
I’m not the person anyone wants to deal with in these kind of situations where Tesla does there typical shady *sugar* cuz I know all about their history. And I have no problem shutting the entire service center down in order to get my *sugar* resolved.
But I also have no problem getting on a forum or telling someone the flaws of Tesla where 90% owners and Tesla fan boys who won’t say anything negative ever on here or are quick to disagree with anyone that does are the same owners who get punked in these situations.
Just like in almost every aspect in life, people can tell who they can take advantage of and who they can’t. If you don’t have the ability to make sure someone doesn’t disrespect you or see that you’re ultimately weak and won’t demand respect and escalate it to a level that is necessary than just get use to being told BS and not being treated and given what you deserve as an owner who spent a lot money on your Tesla. And trust me there is someone there with enough authority to resolve your issue. Don’t let them fool you, they don’t need to call Elon too make sure you issue is resolved.

My early 2016 S 90D seems to have a maximum supercharger rate of fifty-something Kw. This is new. (past several months). I don't supercharge often. So I don't have a lot of data points. But it is real. And occurs with empty charge bays all around me.

My early 2016 S 90D seems to have a maximum supercharger rate of fifty-something Kw. This is new. (past several months). I don't supercharge often. So I don't have a lot of data points. But it is real. And occurs with empty charge bays all around me.

if the battery is cold (overnight outside) and less than 45 min. drive to SuC it's just normal.
The charging rate for warm batteries can be found at Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
Your 90 kWh battery should be above 60 kW for SoC of below 70%.
Btw. switch Range Mode OFF when driving to SuC (or battery will be less preheated).

You have a 2016+ refresh car with a different chemistry in the battery pack. You largely aren't affected by chargegate.

if the battery is cold (overnight outside) and less than 45 min. drive to SuC it's just normal.
The charging rate for warm batteries can be found at Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
Your 90 kWh battery should be above 60 kW for SoC of below 70%.
Btw. switch Range Mode OFF when driving to SuC (or battery will be less preheated).
Those charging charts on ABRP are interesting.
None of the reasons for slower charging applied to my circumstances when my car experienced dramatically reduced charging current.

After reading lots of users reports on various sites, a few things are clear.
- Many cars have had battery degradation (10%-20% over a few years) that exceeds earlier predictions.
- The cars display of full charge range does not always diminish as much as battery degradation. This means that the cars display of full charge range may conceal rather than reveal battery degradation.
- Many cars come nowhere close to achieving Rated Range. Real range with ordinary driving 2/3 to 3/4 of Rated Range is common.
- Tesla techs will describe cars with the above problems as normal.
- Superchargers will significantly reduce charging current for older cars. This results in owners spending much more time waiting for their cars to charge. And Supercharging stations availability is diminished as more cars spend more time occupying the charger.

Buyer beware.

My 85D is slower charging, too.

If the battery is near empty, it is about 116kW, but goes down very fast to 80, 70, 60 about 25-30%. Then it stays getting slower and about 50% it is 50kW, then 40kW at 60%.

this makes charging very very long.

my 85 back 2016-2018 have been charging about half the time I have to use now.

I think not only from summer 2019 it has changed, but also another time in the late 2019 again.

Still, my battery is ok, showing 74.8 nominal full pack after 106.000miles.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chargegate. You can familiarize yourself with how Tesla has hobbled your supercharging speed by perusing this 400+ page long thread...

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

...which is mostly focused on how your battery has also likely been artificially capped but also explains why you will never see the supercharging speeds you should.

In summary Tesla pushed a stealth software update to many 85 and other older cars that both capped their battery capacity and limited supercharging speeds in order to decrease failure rates and fires during the warranty period. It is the subject of a lawsuit that is currently in mediation and also the subject of an ongoing NHTSA investigation. This will prove I suspect the biggest scandal in the history of the company, and that's saying a lot, although it's still largely unknown among most owners because Telsa was so sneaky in how they did it and actually went to great lengths to make it difficult to detect.

And for the record I love my S85 which I have had for 5 years but what Tesla has done here is actually criminal. Imagine if GM through a secret software update disabled 2 cylinders in every Corvette so that the engines would be less prone to failure under warranty. That's essentially what has happened.
GM ought to disable all cylinders in the Corvette. ;)