Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have my appointment scheduled for Friday in Tempe as well, and everything looks good so far. Anyone have an idea as to how long it takes them to swap the chip? I’m a bit worried about how and where to wait it out, as I’m driving a couple hours to get there, and will be stranded if they still have their waiting room closed, and may need to get creative, depending on timing.
Was there today and my car will be there for at least 1-2 days. They are swamped. No loaners and only Uber credits.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Have my appointment scheduled for Friday in Tempe as well, and everything looks good so far. Anyone have an idea as to how long it takes them to swap the chip? I’m a bit worried about how and where to wait it out, as I’m driving a couple hours to get there, and will be stranded if they still have their waiting room closed, and may need to get creative, depending on timing.
It varies greatly. Some people got theirs upgraded in a few hours. When we got our MCU upgraded, we opted to have the AP3 upgrade and some service bulletin work done all in the same trip and it took nearly 3 days. I think the MCU was completed the first day as we received 3 or 4 firmware update notifications that day. We received another notification the second day, when they were finished upgrading to the FSD computer.

Just spoke with service, and they said to anticipate 2-3 hours for the chip upgrade. They also noted that Rangers are unable to perform the upgrade remotely on the X, only on the 3. I’ll report back as to what the reality is on the ground as everything gets underway on Friday.

One step forward, four steps back ... I was scheduled to get my MCU1/AP2 upgrade tomorrow, but my service center in Columbus, OH called to say 1) they don't yet have the parts, 2) there are seven other people waiting with me ... So they asked to delay my service until July 2nd. Here's hoping!

One step forward, four steps back ... I was scheduled to get my MCU1/AP2 upgrade tomorrow, but my service center in Columbus, OH called to say 1) they don't yet have the parts, 2) there are seven other people waiting with me ... So they asked to delay my service until July 2nd. Here's hoping!
Mine was delayed once for a little over a week but parts came in yesterday. Install this week at Westmont, IL. AP2.0->FSD and MCU1->MCU2.

Decent thoughts on the MCU1->MCU2 upgrade. Not really new things for avid followers in this thread just some thoughts on buying used and upgrading. Also a little overview of the browser stats improvement.

Just spoke with service, and they said to anticipate 2-3 hours for the chip upgrade. They also noted that Rangers are unable to perform the upgrade remotely on the X, only on the 3. I’ll report back as to what the reality is on the ground as everything gets underway on Friday.
Maybe things have changed and/or maybe it’s a geographical thing, but when I had the chip upgrade done on my 3 back in April, Rangers could not do the work. In fact, it took 6 hours for the SC to do it.

So, this was interesting... I got an update on necessary parts being shipped and arrived at the service center. Hopefully this will negate some of the challenges others have faced with parts not being available. This is the first time I’ve seen or heard of this the of communication, so may be something to keep in mind with otherA looking to do just the FSD upgrade, as I am...

Attachments

• ED34CAB2-BFA6-4873-982C-4BADA282789F.jpeg
    ED34CAB2-BFA6-4873-982C-4BADA282789F.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 102
Picked up my Model X today after yesterday's AP2.0/MCU1 -> FSD/MCU2 upgrade. A few brief thoughts:
  • Dropped off at 9am, car was ready by 5:23pm same day (also had front tires replaced).
  • MCU2 is so darn fast. EVERYTHING is snappier. Almost worth the upgrade on it's own.
  • Tested Netflix, works great...after I turned off WiFi (apparently Netflix is blocked on Tesla's Wifi)
  • Could be crazy but I feel like even some of the sounds are different (e.g. the blinker)
  • Popped in my SanDisk High Endurance microSD and Rocketek reader and TeslaCam is working great. Can watch the clips on the viewer. Haven't tried sentry footage yet but it's active.
  • Since owning this car I don't think I've once seen full LTE bars on my car. Saw it consistently on the drive home.
  • Calibration took about 10 minutes
  • Love the new visualizations on the IC
  • Autopilot seems MUCH smoother. I have a winding rural road by my house (35MPH) which AP2.0 used to try and kill me on. The new hardware ran it silky smooth. Zero issues. Can't wait to try some highway driving.
  • Downloading Navigation data as we speak.
Which brings me to the first issue I found. Upon getting to our complex, the GPS HomeLink tried to fire like normal, but the gate didn't open. Hmmm. Then when I got to my house, our garage door wouldn't open. No problem, I thought, I should just reprogram the HomeLink. Can't do it. It's stuck in a loop. It "prepares" to program the door, but then goes back to the main screen. I rebooted the MCU but it wouldn't fix it. It would seem my HomeLink is basically disabled. I set up an appointment in the app for Monday.

Overall, as someone who bought FSD during the fire sale that lasted a week or so ($2K), the added cost of the Infotainment upgrade is a no-brainer (especially as I'm out of warranty an my old MCU was getting slower and slower). I never use FM/XM so there is no loss there. It feels like a new car. Plus, as a guy with three kids, I spend A LOT of time sitting in parking lots waiting for activities to finish. I'll be getting some use out of the additional entertainment apps. Two thumbs way up...once I get HomeLink fixed.

@MiddKid did you drop off at Lynnwood, Bellevue, or Renton Service Center?

I’m having real issues with Bellevue doing the work even though they are normally really, really good. And I see you and I have similar MX vehicles bought around the same time.

Dropped my AP2.0/MCU1 MX off this morning at 9am for FSD/MCU2. Got the text at 5:23pm that my car was ready. Will be picking it up tomorrow morning.

Which brings me to the first issue I found. Upon getting to our complex, the GPS HomeLink tried to fire like normal, but the gate didn't open. Hmmm. Then when I got to my house, our garage door wouldn't open. No problem, I thought, I should just reprogram the HomeLink. Can't do it. It's stuck in a loop. It "prepares" to program the door, but then goes back to the main screen. I rebooted the MCU but it wouldn't fix it. It would seem my HomeLink is basically disabled. I set up an appointment in the app for Monday.

I noticed our 3 Homelink devices were still listed but no longer worked, just as you mentioned. I was able to leave them and chose the reprogram option. Fortunately I was able to reprogram all three in less than 5 minutes.

I noticed our 3 Homelink devices were still listed but no longer worked, just as you mentioned. I was able to leave them and chose the reprogram option. Fortunately I was able to reprogram all three in less than 5 minutes.

Update on HomeLink: I talked to the service center and they re-pushed the last firmware to me. Upon installing the existing HomeLink settings still didn't work, but this time instead of getting stuck in a loop it let me re-program it. I re-programmed all three with no issues and I'm good to go. Sounds like re-programming will be a standard protocol. But the endless loop I was stuck in required a firmware push!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker