Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just Picked up my 2017 X w/ HW3 and MCU2.
Most all settings transferred, as others reported.
Didn’t have to wait for calibration, AP was ready right away.
I am having a potential issue w/ USB. It’s too early to know, as I have not fully trouble shooted it yet.
I plug in a new stick and SENTRY does not see it.

My stick also has MP3 test files on it, so those in the know, should the music player still allow USB?

First impressions— worth it? Hell Yeah!!

-TechVP

Hadn’t seen this discussed here before.
My MCU2 upgrade retains the original 17” screen.
was hoping the yellow border would be gone... same yellow border. For the binnacle screen, can’t tell yet. Could be new, or maybe not.

All said, I’m happy they didn’t waste a good screen. Unlike the MCU1’s I saw that showed up on Ebay.
-TechVP

Just Picked up my 2017 X w/ HW3 and MCU2.
Most all settings transferred, as others reported.
Didn’t have to wait for calibration, AP was ready right away.
I am having a potential issue w/ USB. It’s too early to know, as I have not fully trouble shooted it yet.
I plug in a new stick and SENTRY does not see it.

My stick also has MP3 test files on it, so those in the know, should the music player still allow USB?

First impressions— worth it? Hell Yeah!!

-TechVP
You have to configure the hard drive. There are instructions on here.

was hoping the yellow border would be gone... same yellow border. For the binnacle screen, can’t tell yet. Could be new, or maybe not.

All said, I’m happy they didn’t waste a good screen. Unlike the MCU1’s I saw that showed up on Ebay.
-TechVP
What did your invoice say the part number was? I was thinking the light blue highlighted ones had 'no display'.
Also heard they may be low on screen supply.

OFlFmW3.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: J__T and HappyHappy

Thanks for the reply. I wish it was that straightforward.

Earlier this evening, after a 2 hr drive from the SC, I confirmed that even a cell phone charger does not work on the USB ports. All 4 are not functioning. Real bummer returning from Service today -- I can't use camera recording.

A quick inspection of with the accessory tray removed revealed a USB Plug with what appears locking tabs that is not connected.

Where is RichRebuilds? Anybody have the right advise if this is it, and where to plug it in?
-TechVP
MCU USB Cable disconnected.jpg

Yesterday I got HW 3 and MCU2 upgrade (from HW. 2.5) at San Diego SC at last, after 3 months of postponements. I dropped it in the morning and car was ready around 3PM. I lost all the settings. I had yellowing on the screen and UV treatment fixed it as well for now. The staff was great , very courteous and helpful. They gave me for the day $100 of uber credits.

The map and FW was up to date so that I could see HW3 enhancements. Still at home I needed to bump FW.

The MCU2 update kit that preserves your old screen is the one discounted by $250, which is what my Model X is getting. But Costa Mesa is having a bear of a time getting the firmware to take, and they've since called in the service engineering group to resolve it -- that was 24-hours ago and they're still at it on day three... It may take another couple days. :(

BTW, prob missed it but, could someone chime in with the firmware version the upgraded cars are ending up with? Thanks.

The MCU2 update kit that preserves your old screen is the one discounted by $250, which is what my Model X is getting. But Costa Mesa is having a bear of a time getting the firmware to take, and they've since called in the service engineering group to resolve it -- that was 24-hours ago and they're still at it on day three... It may take another couple days. :(

BTW, prob missed it but, could someone chime in with the firmware version the upgraded cars are ending up with? Thanks.

I think the issue is Costa Mesa. The techs there are subpar and inept.

Were you charged $2250 or 2500?
$2250 Which I didn't understand or catch when I was looking at Tesla's final sale PDF in small type on a phone screen. Being rushed in a long social distance queue to click accept & submit.
Given the time I would have asked for more detail -- not that it would have changed anything.
Thanks to the forum for answering that glaring question of what happened with the screen....

Ok so I saved $250 -- I have seen the new screen and I probably would have taken the new screen, had it been offered.
Two reasons, retire the yellow border issue, and get the higher contrast screen -- which shows up in the binacle. Such first world problems.

Reactions: bollar
Thanks for the reply. I wish it was that straightforward.

Earlier this evening, after a 2 hr drive from the SC, I confirmed that even a cell phone charger does not work on the USB ports. All 4 are not functioning. Real bummer returning from Service today -- I can't use camera recording.

A quick inspection of with the accessory tray removed revealed a USB Plug with what appears locking tabs that is not connected.

Where is RichRebuilds? Anybody have the right advise if this is it, and where to plug it in?
-TechVP
View attachment 557020
That does look like a USB mini connector. Have you considered putting in a mobile service request? Seems to me like they should finish the job free of additional charge and it shouldn't require you to go back in.

That does look like a USB mini connector. Have you considered putting in a mobile service request? Seems to me like they should finish the job free of additional charge and it shouldn't require you to go back in.
Yes on the SC request. Which is trying to arrange a rover visit; as communicated a couple hours ago. Naturally EOQ is a busy time for them. Will confirm once I get an acknowledgement from Mobile Service as to if this is indeed the correct USB connection. -TechVP

Mobile Service looked at the picture and confirmed today: Yes that USB connector is supposed to be seated on the back of the MCU. Mobile service is trying to fit me in, but definitely after the 6th.

Everyone double check all of your connectivity after HW3 & MCU upgrades.
-TechVP

-TechVP

Is your car still under full warranty? If so, if you complain enough, they will replace the screen with a new one.

• Funny
Reactions: bnsfengineer
I'm finally at the Columbus, OH Service Center getting my Infotainment and FSD Computer Upgrade! They are installing the version that does not include a new 17" display so I'm saving a whopping $250. But I am still under warranty (just barely) so they have me back on the UV machine to get rid of the remaining yellow band that came back after my last four hour treatment. I just talked with them about what to do if the screen again gets yellow bands and the cost of a new screen has dropped to $550 so it won't be too tragic.

I'll let folks know how things work after I drive home ...

Is your car still under full warranty? If so, if you complain enough, they will replace the screen with a new one.
Hi, the X is a March 2017 delivery and I'm at nearly 68,000 miles. Past the 50k miles of the original 4 yr 50k mile warranty.

I suppose I'm relegated to the UV treatment at this stage... which I do admit does work for a 4-6 month duration.
The yellow border isn't terrible, just not a good look. I'll see if you agree if I should press for a replacement.

I only really notice the yellow border when displaying B&W on the display. When viewing anything in color (maps) I rarely notice the border.
I will be visiting w/ a ranger soon on the USB issue so I'll ping him & see what he thinks about the screen. And inquire if I should have been offered a choice of replacing it or keeping it.
-TechVP