Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody knows anything about the build quality yet. Do you have an EV now?

I hear about more Tesla issues than from any other make. The interiors on current Jags crush the best Tesla has, and the build quality is much better too. Panel gaps, for instance, are much better.

Speaking personally, it was the handful of times a year I got dragged to sales or high value customer meetings. (I was a CTO)

These would be round trips outside battery range, and after a while the sales guys would refuse to go in the Tesla because the journey home mandated a stop. At that point in the day, they just wanted to get home to their families.

And that's with a supercharger. In your position, I would have had a gas car just for these situations. Then again, we have four cars. Certainly what I say doesn't apply to all people. I think your situation is the exception, not the rule.

• Funny
Reactions: J1mbo and RobStark
And that's with a supercharger. In your position, I would have had a gas car just for these situations. Then again, we have four cars. Certainly what I say doesn't apply to all people. I think your situation is the exception, not the rule.

If you have access to a family ICE for ong trips, I can see no reason not to consider an IPace.

In preference I would drive the Tesla, but as soon as a trip such as the above cropped up I too would tend to opt for one of the family ICE's (like you I have a selection to chose from). To be honest for long high speed trips, the advantages of the quieter drive train disappear compared to the reduced road and wind noise in a high end ICE.

If you have access to a family ICE for ong trips, I can see no reason not to consider an IPace.

In preference I would drive the Tesla, but as soon as a trip such as the above cropped up I too would tend to opt for one of the family ICE's (like you I have a selection to chose from). To be honest for long high speed trips, the advantages of the quieter drive train disappear compared to the reduced road and wind noise in a high end ICE.

Oh, I like the noise of cars. It's the acceleration and lack of needing a gas station that make me love EVs.

Today was the first reveal to a few lucky invitees in Oslo. Guess who has a meeting in Oslo today?

So having signed an NDA, in Norwegian, not sure what I can say.

The car looks awesome, it was lovely inside, much more "car like" interior that Tesla but still high tech.

The reveal tomorrow is in Graz because that is where it is being made. I guess that is at Magna Steyr?

There are a lot of aero tricks on the car which you probably don't appreciate from photos.

I asked if the charge rate was 100kW and was told minimum. The guy said Tesla is only 120/130 isn't it? And winked.

Have to say getting in was a lucky blag. Thanks to the random Norwegian couple that I met outside and signed me in as a guest. When I explained to the staff I had 20 minutes before needing to catch my flight, I got my own private viewing! First in the world to sit in the production version :)

20180228_144933.jpg

20180228_155345.jpg

Today was the first reveal to a few lucky invitees in Oslo. Guess who has a meeting in Oslo today?

So having signed an NDA, in Norwegian, not sure what I can say.

The car looks awesome, it was lovely inside, much more "car like" interior that Tesla but still high tech.

The reveal tomorrow is in Graz because that is where it is being made. I guess that is at Magna Steyr?

There are a lot of aero tricks on the car which you probably don't appreciate from photos.

I asked if the charge rate was 100kW and was told minimum. The guy said Tesla is only 120/130 isn't it? And winked.

Have to say getting in was a lucky blag. Thanks to the random Norwegian couple that I met outside and signed me in as a guest. When I explained to the staff I had 20 minutes before needing to catch my flight, I got my own private viewing! First in the world to sit in the production version :)

View attachment 283521

View attachment 283522

Wait, isn't 120/130 more than 100?

It is. Of course, my X75D never quite hits 100 kW with the lower pack voltage.

Actually, that comment had me wondering... Has Jaguar announced anything about their charging plans yet?

A couple years ago we were told that Tesla was working with a non-German European car manufacturer that wanted to be a partner in the Supercharger Network.

Now the Jaguar rep is making casual reference to Tesla charge rates and promising to more or less match them on the eve of their big unveiling...

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo

I asked if it was 100 kW CCS (like some rumours) and the guy said "minimum". He then said "isn't Tesla only 120/130 kW?".

Not sure what you mean.

They didn't open the charge port door, but I did notice that it was quite elongated in a horizontal direction. If it was just CCS I would expect it to be round or even stretched in a vertical direction. Read into that what you may.

Another knowledgeable Jagman Tesla fan.

Chatter about 70K price.
Is there a Vegas line on this?

Jag is going to promote themselves
as a Low Budget Tesla?

Anyone feeling that?
Didn't think so.

I'll take the over.
Initial offering will be low volume,
priced vs High end S&X.
WAG: US $130k+ stuff

Aren't they otherwise leaving money on the table?
First 500 come with fancy high powered
hunting rifle w/ scope, and case.

"gun to a flamethrower fight"

Decidedly Unvegan Leather
Proper proper, and all that.

Heh.

Another knowledgeable Jagman Tesla fan.

Chatter about 70K price.
Is there a Vegas line on this?

Jag is going to promote themselves
as a Low Budget Tesla?

Anyone feeling that?
Didn't think so.

I'll take the over.
Initial offering will be low volume,
priced vs High end S&X.
WAG: US $130k+ stuff

Aren't they otherwise leaving money on the table?
First 500 come with fancy high powered
hunting rifle w/ scope, and case.

"gun to a flamethrower fight"

Decidedly Unvegan Leather
Proper proper, and all that.

Heh.

70,000£ was what I saw. The ipace is smaller then a model 3 BTW. 1" shorter and narrower but 5" taller, which is more because its an SUV and higher off the ground. The charge speed doesn't much matter, no charging network. Maybe in 5 years. 250 miles range from a 90KWh pack on a package smaller then a model 3 at the same price as a model X is pretty bad. But hay, it looks nice. I am a fan of what jag had been doing lately with design and this is an interesting vehicle, but it's not competition. Jag will sell them to jag customers, not Tesla customers.

70,000£ was what I saw. The ipace is smaller then a model 3 BTW. 1" shorter and narrower but 5" taller, which is more because its an SUV and higher off the ground. The charge speed doesn't much matter, no charging network. Maybe in 5 years. 250 miles range from a 90KWh pack on a package smaller then a model 3 at the same price as a model X is pretty bad. But hay, it looks nice. I am a fan of what jag had been doing lately with design and this is an interesting vehicle, but it's not competition. Jag will sell them to jag customers, not Tesla customers.

I've heard 60,000£ which, to be honest, might not even be too far from the LR PUP Model Y at some point. But I agree this will probably be not really a Model X competitor, though I can see some Model S customers being interested in it.

Charging should be solved relatively soon by Ionity in Europe and electrify America in the US. I also wouldn't speculate too much on range until the car is out and rated. We also thought it would only charge with 50 kW.

In general I do think it will push Tesla towards a nicer interior for the S and X, something we all have wanted for quite some time.

Edit: And of course most of the customers will not be former Tesla customers, totally agree on that.

Last edited:
I've heard 60,000£ which, to be honest, might not even be too far from the LR PUP Model Y at some point. But I agree this will probably be not really a Model X competitor, though I can see some Model S customers being interested in it.

Charging should be solved relatively soon by Ionity in Europe and electrify America in the US. I also wouldn't speculate too much on range until the car is out and rated. We also thought it would only charge with 50 kW.

In general I do think it will push Tesla towards a nicer interior for the S and X, something we all have wanted for quite some time.

Edit: And of course most of the customers will not be former Tesla customers, totally agree on that.

Why would a model Y LR with PUP be $82,500 (60,000 Pounds in US dollars today) when a Model 3 LR with PUP is $49,000? The price difference between and S and X is $5000. I am confused at your logic. That $82,500 is more then likely a base price. I think you can get a Model X for that price today and have 237 miles or range instead of 250, but a much much bigger car.

I dont think any EV competition is pushing Tesla, Tesla is pushing Tesla and they are focused on competing with higher margin ICEv. They started with the sports car and then the model S which is squarely aimed at high end luxury sedan market. They are competing with Jags luxury sedan and the Fpace more then Ipace. Tesla is driving EV adoption by forcing ICE manufacturers to come out with compelling, competitive EVs because they are losing market share on their best margin ICE vehicles. I am sure at some point, Tesla will have to address EV comp, but that day is not today.

My thoughts after the preview in Oslo:
This is a Model Y sized car, but it feels bigger IRL than it looks on pictures.

I opened the charging port and it is a CCS. Port is manual though...

Rear seats is 10cm narrower total width than my S, but distance between outer isofix is similar. Seem to be more space between door and seat where the S has none. Huge back doors. Rear space feels similar maybe better.

Trunk is not as deep as S but wider in the inner end. S has a much wider outer end and of course the huge space under the floor. Same height to the shelf.

Front seats are more comfy than the S premium seats.