Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did show a 75D and 100D and have to wonder if they were uncorked or not. I wasn't impressed by their battery or recharge time. And I do believe they expect Jaguar owners to charge on the systems being developed by other non-Tesla competitors. Haven't heard Jaguar's name in any of those groups.

The Verge had some nice photos of the car in their article. Jaguar’s I-Pace is a speedy dual-motor Model X competitor No where in the various articles I looked at did I see photos of the trunk or frunk (or froot, tomato tomatoe). The cargo space is less than a MS from what I read and maybe why it was never in a photo. I think people who love buttons and dials and HUD might like their car. Funny I've grown to see a lot of this as clutter but probably wouldn't have had we not owned our Tesla. The buttons and such are pared down from other cars I've seen that look more like a cockpit. I did like that they gave you an option of faux or real leather and it looked the seats might have been ventilated (which I am SO sorry Tesla eliminated both on their cars). Their sideview mirrors look like the same ones Tesla uses (at least from a distance to me).

What I didn't like about the car at first impression: the "grill", the front hood vent, the side windows--the placement of the two smaller windows for the rear and back seem ugly and look very noticeable--the rear one you might even notice the framing when you turn your head to see outside, I'm not a crossover fan so don't care for the fin off the back or that shark fin on the top, the back looks very square and van-like and actually the front is rather boxy as well. I was also struck by the shape of the glass roof, very unusual and a rock chip up there -- an expensive one-piece repair. Can I say I really don't like their badging as well? One of my relatives bought a Jaguar (it was black and sexy looking with the emblem on the hood) and it was always in the shop, expensive maintenance, said it was the worst car he bought. I know they have had their reliability problems. In any event the I-Pace is not something I would even venture into a showroom to see so Tesla doesn't have to worry about losing us as customers.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I like the I-Pace, and I'm sure that Jaguar will sell every unit they can manufacture.

There's a lot of good stuff here: Compact Crossover size makes it easier to maneuver and park. While the styling may be controversial, I would absolutely drive something that looks like the I-Pace. It's interesting. The interior also looks very luxurious, although the front seems a bit crammed with instrumentation compared to a Honda. 240 miles of EV range is more than good enough. Performance is much more than good enough.

The only real downside is lack of a DC fast charging network for early adopters. Overall, this is a great first move into EVs for Jaguar, and ups the pressure on the Germans.

If my exchange calculations of today's exchange rate with the Norwegian Krone are correct, that would be $94,146 for the SE Launch, $101,712 for the HSE Launch and $107,887 for the First Edition (with "Adaptive Dynamics" whatever those are, lol)

Adaptive Dynamics is automatic adaptive suspension damping. It’s a fantastic feature that Tesla really should offer on their air suspension cars.

It’s a smaller/lighter car that only seats 5 people... should we really be impressed that it is faster than a larger car?

I-Pace 90D 5 seater 4.5 sec
MX 75D 7 seater 6.0 sec
MX 100D 7 seater 4.8 sec

Would be better to race a comparable vehicle.

Reactions: gavine
Luxury is not a defined quality. It is perceived value, as I see it. So, for me, the I-pace does not compete. I guess the market will decide whether it actually competes or not.

Of course, I'm biased. Third Tesla, never owned a Jag anything.

Well, I am on my first Tesla now and never had a Jag, but this one got me interested.

I tried the configurator and for the same money as my Model S 75D configuration, that I plan to replace my 90D with in October/November, I could get a very nice I-Pace.

I’ll of course test drive it first, but at least it’s a contender!

Reactions: Matias and AndY1
I-Pace starts at 63.4k GBP with manual liftgate,solid roof, and coil suspension.

Model S starts at 64.7k GBP with power liftgate,glass roof, and air suspension .

1k GBP off with free supercharging for life with referral correct?

My competitive build with similarly equipped base Model S is 79k GBP.

Even with dealer discount Jaguar is not competitive. Even so they should sell out 13k units this year to Jag loyalist, those fearful Tesla will go bankrupt and leave Tesla cars orphans, and European markets simply starved for EVs.

If I speck them completely, the Tesla is actually more expensive. What did you add?

If I speck them completely, the Tesla is actually more expensive. What did you add?

IF you speck them completely Model S is a lot more car including 5+2 passengers 315 miles of EPA (381 NEDC) range, lifetime access to Supercharger Network and 0-60 in 2.28 seconds.Not to mention the 5 adult passengers sit on wider seats.

I went through and added things like glass roof and power liftgate that base I-Pace does not have but base Model S does have.

There are some things I-Pace does offer that Model S nor X offer like HUD and Wool-textile seating surfaces

The I-Pace, on the other hand, demonstrated an average charge rate of 75 kW during the reveal.
I figured a slightly higher rate but less than 80 kW average.

It's much better than the Chevy Bolt, which has an average charging speed of under 50 kW.
The Bolt EV’s average charging rate from 0-62% is probably just above 50 kW (51-52 kW?) on the new generation of CCS hardware. What really matters to drivers, however, is miles added.

The I-Pace has a roughly 50% bigger battery (90 kWh vs 60 kWh) but around the same 240 mile range as the Bolt EV so it would have to average a charge power 50% higher to add the same number of miles during the same charge time period.

So, I figure it was maybe charging just somewhat faster (10-12% faster?) than a Bolt EV in miles added per charging time in that apparent 40 minutes.

However.... the charging time we saw — 62% in just under 40 minutes — does not match the claimed 80% in 45 minutes. Something is not consistent there. Perhaps they didn’t begin charging at the very beginning of the video or perhaps the charging conditions were a little wonky with the car being under the TV lights and the battery cooling system detuned in order to not be making too much noise. The implied charging rate at the 8 minute point, however, did seem closer to 95-100 kW. I dunno.

Certainly the closest thing to a real competitor yet. Without AP and the Supercharger Network, it's not something that I would have seriously considered, but it's a good first effort.
I skimmed back at your posting history and it looks like you ordered your Model X sometime in late spring or early summer and received it by August of 2016. Just 6 months or so earlier at the beginning of 2016, the Supercharger network looked like this:

0FF53B2F-00E3-4D6E-8985-5367EBE959B0.jpeg

The first I-Pace deliveries will begin in the “2nd half of 2018” but many folks will probably get theirs in the first half of 2019. If you believe Electrify America’s latest statements on their website, their 150+ kW charging network will look like this by June 2019:

B7093B48-0C32-4726-AA91-0AADF5DBD425.png

That represents about a year’s worth of relative charger installation advantage for Tesla. And, of course, plenty of folks here happily bought their Model S back in 2015 in anticipation of that Supercharger map above.

I don’t think a lack of US ultra-fast DC charging will be a large barrier to potential I-Pace customers who are drawn to the car for other reasons.

No doubt, today’s (or 2019’s) Tesla Supercharger map is much better than what Jaguar owners would get from Electrify America’s June, 2019 highway network. I suspect that EA’s map plus metro DC charging from EA and other providers is “good enough” for many potential buyers given the assumption that charging infrastructure will continue to get better while they own the car.

Last edited:
IF you speck them completely Model S is a lot more car including 5+2 passengers 315 miles of EPA (381 NEDC) range, lifetime access to Supercharger Network and 0-60 in 2.28 seconds.Not to mention the 5 adult passengers sit on wider seats.

I went through and added things like glass roof and power liftgate that base I-Pace does not have but base Model S does have.

There are some things I-Pace does offer that Model S nor X offer like HUD and Wool-textile seating surfaces

Well, I looked at the UK configurators, maybe pricing is different, so see how they compare: I specks the Model S I am somewhat planning on replacing my current one with:
75D, PUP, black premium interior, silver metallic, EAP: 78,150 pound
For 75.8k pounds I can have the SE i-Pace, with adaptive air suspension, 20 inch wheels, the cold weather package, glass roof, four zone climate, home link, power lift gate, full leather seats heated front and rear and some gray color.

I guess that EAP is superior to Jaguars system, though. So MSRP is pretty much the same IMO. Add in some dealer discount and the I-Pace should be cheaper. But that heavily depends on what you value more. Both come with different things standard, so if you nit pick, you can probably always find some comparison in which one car sounds better. That's why I say they are pretty even on MSRP.

I think it's safe to say this car isn't primarily aimed at the US, unlike Tesla. I think this is a big part of what Jaguar are trying to do. In the UK the Model S and Model X are BIG cars. They can't handle a lot of roads over here. Car parking spaces etc.

The reveal was done by a UK comedian,at a UK/European time.

The charging infrastructure for Tesla, in the UK anyway, isn't great. And neither is the "dealer" network. That + the fact the dash is horrible is why I cancelled my Model3 reservation. I have 4 Jaguar service centres in the same distance as 1 Tesla service centre.

It's clear, from the reveal and manufacturing process that it is aimed at Europeans more than over the US. I suspect sales for the US are going to be minimal but definitely can see Tesla being strongly competed against here in Europe.

Ok, I´m in love....of course it comes down to taste, but I find the I-Pace a LOT more attractive than anything Tesla has to offer. Especially the interior with its combination of touchpads and physical buttons for blind-use of the most basic functions is perfect in my eyes.

Reactions: alloverx