Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rave reviews is not the same thing as saying "Game changer". Typical journalist hyperbole

I didn't agree with the game changer comment. Tesla was the game changer. This is just a good electric car with very good reviews. I cannot see why it can't have raving reviews.

@Dan84 says it's not better than the competition - then mentions Tesla and Audi. Are they the only 2 competitors for this market? No, should be looking at more than this.

Only if you compare it to something with a much smaller battery ... which are proportionately cheaper of course.

OK so we should compare battery sizes in comparison. Fair enough, you wouldn't compare a 2.0l turbo engine with a 1.2 Corsa. Doesn't mean it can't have a raving review? The mileage is fine on the few examples we have (the tweeter went 150 miles with 40 to go, and AC would have been full blast - it was a bit roasty this weekend). I think we need to wait for more real-world. I think their "estimator" is completely out of whack.

This is a reason why I don't read reviews until a good few months into public usage. Reviewers I do think tend to be biased in some respects. Example is the Jag XE, a lot said back had "slightly less than wanted feet space", where as what they should have said is "theres naff all in the back, if you're over 5 ft 8 you won't be comfortable".

I don't get why AC is considered an excuse for diminishing range, let alone there are cars with 'eco' modes killing the AC.

What are we talking about on a day? 1-2kWh?

That's like 2 to 3 miles of range lost because you want to feel comfortable.

I have no idea, I would have assumed it was more than this. It was just a comment the tweeter/replies to his post, about his journey where he went 150 miles and had 40 left to go. The next day it was showing 150 miles of range.

My car when I top it up with diesel shows 650, after about 30 miles it settles around 400. Estimation is out of whack on my car as well.

I don't get why AC is considered an excuse for diminishing range, let alone there are cars with 'eco' modes killing the AC.

What are we talking about on a day? 1-2kWh?

That's like 2 to 3 miles of range lost because you want to feel comfortable.
Well if it's a 3kw A.C. unit (which most cars have nowadays) and it's idling at 1kw to maintain the temperature, that is 1kWh per hour, or around 4 miles per hour

I do think that the IPace is a class of cars that will obviously take some Tesla sales, even without a charging network. Audi, Porsche, and BMW will join this group over the next two years.

The problem these manufacturers have is that they are all going after the same EV buyer who wants a more traditional and complex interior in a luxury car. Tesla will remain highly differentiated from these quality competitors with a more radical interior. Tesla losing substantial differentiation would be very risky for Tesla.

Without a charging network the traditional auto makers probably have plans to build in the low tens of thousands of units per year. Meanwhile Tesla is building hundreds of thousands of model 3s, including many over $50K.

I do think that the IPace is a class of cars that will obviously take some Tesla sales, even without a charging network. Audi, Porsche, and BMW will join this group over the next two years.

I-Pace looks like a very nice BEV, definitely on the competition level with Tesla, unlike many compliance cars from other main players (such as BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, VW e-Golf). So yes it is one of the first supposed "tesla killers".
However, I highly doubt it will take away any sales from Tesla. In fact, I expect it to boost Tesla sales!
How is that possible ? Simple, if it is good enough to compete with Tesla, than it is by definition better than the comparable ICE offerings from Jaguar. Which means it will take away sales from Jaguar ICE cars first. A lot of people will want one and Jaguar will quickly realize they cannot keep up with demand. I hear the first year production is already sold out, people who want one will need to wait a year, but they can buy a Tesla S or X with half that wait or less. So some of those who want to buy I-pace but too impatient to wait (who would never have considered a Tesla in the first place) will buy a Tesla instead due to availability.

The same will repeat for Audi, Porsche, and BMW when they offer cars that are competitive with Tesla.

Reactions: X Fan and scaesare
So the reason we're considering the iPace is because the servicing cost for an X in a remote location (600 km from Tesla Service Center) has been quoted to us as $1500 CDN for a Ranger visit regardless of whether or not it's warranty. Tow only applicable if X is completely undriveable, and then it's unclear how we get the car back if it was towed.
Jag has a dealership 450 km away and will provide us with valet service for the cost of gas per service event, and if it's something simple, a related dealership may be able to do the work in town. They have also committed to opening another Jag outlet 200 km away from us within a couple of years, which would be just fine.
That's where Tesla is the weakest. It seems that in reaction to having to pay for some distant vehicles warranty work in the past they have chosen to price themselves out of the market in some areas as a CYA measure. The result is lower than the purchasing uptake they could achieve in some of those areas which would eventually self fund, and as build quality and QA improved could be nullified. All of it could be solved fairly quickly with a big push to put more Rangers out in the field, but that doesn't seem to be a focus.
In the meanwhile, I've started talking with the Jag dealer.
I suspect I'm not the only prospective X purchaser sitting on his hands right now due to the current servicing issues. Had planned on purchasing before the 15th for free supercharging referral, but $1500 per visit of a Ranger could pay for a whole lot of supercharging!

I don’t question your valid arguments to go for a Jaguar instead of a Tesla, but the I-Pace is in size and trunk space smaller than a Model S, and certainly not near the room, size and trunk size of a Model X.

Also, Jaguar is building 20000 I-Pace’s per year so you’re looking for a delivery in 12 months.

And with the availability of super chargers vs 100kW fast chargers, it is looking that getting your Model X serviced will take you less travel time than getting your I-Pace serviced. 600km is a 30 minute supercharging session 2/3’rds along the way, while doing the same with an I-Pace will mean a 60 minute stop at a 50kW charger, which is hopefully free when you arrive.

If you’re considering an I-Pace because of the Model X size and room, you’ve been successfully played by the Jaguar marketing department.

But realistically, that area of NB is at the moment not suited for EV’s... Except for the planned superchargers, you have absolutely no access to quick chargers. Getting to a Jaguar dealer will take you multiple days because the I-Pace only supports up to 7,2kW charging which takes 14 hours from empty to full. So I’d have to correct my assessment on charging time to an I-Pace to about 9 hours charging during your drive to the dealership.

All superchargers in NB are promised to open in 2018. Driving from Fredericton to Quebec for service is a special kind of crazy tho :)

So the reason we're considering the iPace is because the servicing cost for an X in a remote location (600 km from Tesla Service Center) has been quoted to us as $1500 CDN for a Ranger visit regardless of whether or not it's warranty. Tow only applicable if X is completely undriveable, and then it's unclear how we get the car back if it was towed.

Why would you need service on a Model X? There's nothing to service. Ranger visits are cool, but I've never seen one, in 150,000 miles of Tesla driving. Never took my car in for "service", either. Most of us long time owners would probably wait until we were going to be in the neighborhood of the SC for some other reason, and stop in for them to look, after having emailed, texted or talked to the Service guy. Many things are fixable by anyone knowledgeable with cars, or one can get things fixed at any body shop. Tow is really unnecessary in most cases. The last time I saw that, it was for a Tesla driver who drove to zero and the car stopped two miles from the supercharger. He had to be flat bedded.

The flaw so far in the I-pace equation is lack of chargers. If you're only going to use it for close local driving, that's fine, but I'm planning to go to Canada next month. Looks like I'll take the Tesla.

Why would you need service on a Model X? There's nothing to service.
Just from a SINGLE page of a thread currently on the first page;

"Picked up X100D Saturday, went to service Tuesday!"
"Our new car delivered two weeks ago didn't have jackpads installed so when we got a flat...we were SOL."
" I am currently on a Cadillac XTS rental they gave me for my service. To my surprise it’s much quieter than my X that has many body flexing clicking/popping noises."
"Our S 100D had a similar issue last year. We thought we did a thorough inspection before accepting delivery - and missed that the power adjustments on the front passenger seat weren't working."
"We had an airbag problem on our X, airbag assembly was replaced, life went on."
"After two disappointing weeks with many "fixable" issues in our ordered / custom spec car, we had our Model X returned to us with a scratched wheel by the local service center and another alarming finding as follows:"
"I recently sent them a video w/ audio of my AC making hilarious loud noises that it had never made before (I've had the car for 18 months or so and 20k miles) and they replied "this is normal. you must not have noticed it before. we won't do anything.""

My car when I top it up with diesel shows 650, after about 30 miles it settles around 400. Estimation is out of whack on my car as well.

My ICE too. and that is probably OK for a 400 - 600 mile range car albeit that I've never understood why the gauge cannot compensate for the shape of the tank and the last 100 miles of "range" actually gets me about 40 miles ... but I don't think that is acceptable when the total range of BEV is only 150-200 miles and there aren't "gas stations" on every corner. I wouldn't want to run mine down to 1% "just in case", but I do need its prediction to be reliable enough to be able to adjust speed a bit and see arrival prediction compensate and know "i'm OK" or, more likely here in UK, encounter enforced slowdown for traffic / road works and then know I have battery-enough to speed up for rest of my journey.

Now I think about it, BEV is a different thing: filling up every night and starting every day with 220 mile range, as compared to 600 mile range of ICE and fill "once a week or when low" means I know that I can make all my regular trips, or if not how/where I will charge, therefore its only unusual trips that I have to plan for.

Tesla will remain highly differentiated from these quality competitors with a more radical interior.

Good point. Half a million deposit agree with you!

I-Pace looks like a very nice BEV, definitely on the competition level with Tesla, unlike many compliance cars from other main players
I think it will sell extremely well.

I think its a cracker. But at 20K units per annum it isn't going to achieve much, sadly. I expect they could easily increase production of the body etc. but I doubt they can increase battery availability beyond what they have already contracted

Why would you need service on a Model X? There's nothing to service.

Tesla have a defined service interval, but warranty doesn't require sticking to it. But, over here at least, finance agreements do :(

Reactions: Lokolo
I think its a cracker. But at 20K units per annum it isn't going to achieve much, sadly. I expect they could easily increase production of the body etc. but I doubt they can increase battery availability beyond what they have already contracted

Don't forget Google Waymo has bought an additional 20,000 units. How many Model X did Tesla make the first year? Jaguar probably needs some time to ramp up production as well. I still think this will sell extremely well.

I still think Tesla offers an overall better EV but don't be so quick to discount the I Pace. It is the first non Tesla EV I've seen that is compelling. Of course I will not buy it over a Tesla but I can see some people do that.

Google Waymo has bought an additional 20,000 unit

The way I read that (but might be wrong of course) Waymo was 20K over first three years and they were out of the total 20K p.a. build - so if that's right it reduces the count available to Punters by 1/3rd :(

Jaguar probably needs some time to ramp up production as well.

Not sure about that. Yes, agree, EV is all new to Jag so makes sense to produce in small volume until any snags ironed out ... but if they don't have battery reservations they aren't going to be able to ramp up. I have no doubt they can ramp up the coach-building ... that's their core business :)

My worry is the Bolt equivalent : 20K units p.a. ... and then no significant ramp-up :( Bolt may well be 'coz of compliance-only ... or maye the are battery-supply-constrained too

10,000 cars is getting on for $100M battery contract. It will be a bold CEO who commits to $1B p.a. and contract that size would be for multiple years,and that's still a constraint of 100K cars p.a.

don't be so quick to discount the I Pace

I'm definitely not discounting it, as I said I think its a cracker, and in particular I think it will appeal to existing Jag owner who want EV, and equally to owners of other marques who like the "knobs and dials" and are comfortable with Jag name, so easy converts. But if Jag are constrained on batteries and can only make 20K p.a. for the next 3 years then Jag will miss the boat.

I don’t question your valid arguments to go for a Jaguar instead of a Tesla, but the I-Pace is in size and trunk space smaller than a Model S, and certainly not near the room, size and trunk size of a Model X.

Ours is more of weight issue, what we haul is liquid and glass, so volume is less of an issue.

Having said that, the X75D has a weight capacity of about 740 kg while the I-Pace is at 460 kg. We've been running with an iMiev for 4 years and that's only 360 kg of capacity.

Also, Jaguar is building 20000 I-Pace’s per year so you’re looking for a delivery in 12 months.

We're working on a longer time frame, 8 years of use after a 3 month vs even a 12 month delay getting the vehicle is less important. Dealer believes it won't be a year, they've ordered some on spec that will be available before that. +1 for stealerships I guess.

And with the availability of super chargers vs 100kW fast chargers, it is looking that getting your Model X serviced will take you less travel time than getting your I-Pace serviced. 600km is a 30 minute supercharging session 2/3’rds along the way, while doing the same with an I-Pace will mean a 60 minute stop at a 50kW charger, which is hopefully free when you arrive.

NB has installed Chademo throughout the province, it'll be a time value issue after seeing real world range comparisons. The point of getting the X serviced vs the I-Pace was actually that Jag is treating us like customers, offering Valet service with a loaner. As they are a stealership they need to rely on the income from service. That's double sided sword, the stealership needs to make money, Elon claims their service system is revenue neutral. The down side of remaining revenue neutral is that there is no value in treating customers properly, where the stealership knows their reputation for service and how they treat you is directly related to their survival.

Further, we have lived in Labrador with vehicles under warranty. I understand a little bit about how to deal with being a long way from service centers, and that's the whole point!

When my X-Terra needed some warranty work in Goose Bay, the Nissan dealer called a local shop, set up a deal and had the work done for them. When my smart car needed work done, MB did the same.

When we moved to Fredericton with the smart car, MB sent a regular ranger out to do service. If they needed shop space, they rented a bay from a local garage to get work done. There are models that work for distant servicing. The current Tesla model is bad, but really easily fixable with rangers and a simple scheduling system. If we knew that we could get service done every couple of months, more than happy to deal with that kind of inconvenience. Again, Tesla claims it's revenue neutral servicing so that should be pretty easy to figure out with a spreadsheet. In what world would it cost $1500 to pay a mechanic for 600 km of driving and returning even for a single service call? I can get a full semi delivered from Quebec for less than that, in fact, I do. I had a 40 foot container delivered from 900 km away last year, so a deadheading truck and it was less than $1500.

If you’re considering an I-Pace because of the Model X size and room, you’ve been successfully played by the Jaguar marketing department.

LOL, We're driving an iMiev, I think I can tell the difference between the capability of different cars.
We have owned Suzuki SX4s, smart car, Honda Insight, Nissan X-Terra, the infamous Equiobnoxious, F-150, the iMiev among many others. Each vehicle has a purpose, and nothing is a do all solution.

But realistically, that area of NB is at the moment not suited for EV’s... Except for the planned superchargers, you have absolutely no access to quick chargers. Getting to a Jaguar dealer will take you multiple days because the I-Pace only supports up to 7,2kW charging which takes 14 hours from empty to full. So I’d have to correct my assessment on charging time to an I-Pace to about 9 hours charging during your drive to the dealership.

I wouldn't need to worry about how long it takes for them to get the I-Pace to Halifax, their valet will. It's more about looking at our usage and how often we'd need to Chademo charge. The 3 superchargers that Tesla has planned for NB covers a portion of our long distance driving needs but we'll be Chademo with an X for all the runs up North.

All superchargers in NB are promised to open in 2018.

All the currently promised ones are, hopefully they'll some up North soon.

Driving from Fredericton to Quebec for service is a special kind of crazy tho :)

Yes, yes that would be crazy, hence the other options that Tesla really could do that would make service available, but choose not to.

Why would you need service on a Model X?

What MrAustraliaTax says...

Just from a SINGLE page of a thread currently on the first page;

"Picked up X100D Saturday, went to service Tuesday!"
"Our new car delivered two weeks ago didn't have jackpads installed so when we got a flat...we were SOL."
" I am currently on a Cadillac XTS rental they gave me for my service. To my surprise it’s much quieter than my X that has many body flexing clicking/popping noises."
"Our S 100D had a similar issue last year. We thought we did a thorough inspection before accepting delivery - and missed that the power adjustments on the front passenger seat weren't working."
"We had an airbag problem on our X, airbag assembly was replaced, life went on."
"After two disappointing weeks with many "fixable" issues in our ordered / custom spec car, we had our Model X returned to us with a scratched wheel by the local service center and another alarming finding as follows:"
"I recently sent them a video w/ audio of my AC making hilarious loud noises that it had never made before (I've had the car for 18 months or so and 20k miles) and they replied "this is normal. you must not have noticed it before. we won't do anything.""

So we've had to live with a Chevy Equiobnoxious for three years. Only car I ever leased, boy was that a good call. GM was horrible to deal with and as a result we'll never buy another GM.

Almost every other manufacturer we've had has been great to deal with, very flexible when working on warranty/servicing issues. The thought that if (for an example) our FWD seals started leaking making the doors impractical when it rains costing us $1500 for a fix is a different kind of crazy tho :).

So to summarize a very long answer...

Tesla is the game changer, no doubt and would certainly fit almost all we need in a vehicle (even some of the F-150 work!). Even game changers have to learn from the establishment though. There are solutions that would make ownership work for those who are willing to early adopt and take on part of the risk. If there really is nothing to worry about from an owners perspective, why hang the multiple $1500 weights on a string over every vehicle in a rural area? If there is nothing to worry about for an owner, there is nothing to worry about for Tesla, especially as Tesla has the $110,000 in the bank before they have to deal with anything. Of course, since there is still a wait even for the X, it's clear they feel they can treat owners like this until they run through the demand. Maybe even they've priced the Ranger service at a point that will dissuade customers in higher risk locations from purchasing on purpose. Perhaps with more competition in the EV market, the demand will soften a bit and they will quickly realize they have to work a little harder after the sale.