Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just announced. 500k cars by 2018 instead of 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW...that is going to bump a TON of reservers up a tier in their credit.

If Elon also works some magic with distribution and somehow doesn't hit 200K cars in the US until Q3 2018, we could all get full credit. Not counting on it, but I'm encouraged anyway. Hope he can stick to or close to these numbers

If they do it right they should be able to satisfy about 200,000 units in 3 quarters which is almost half of the reservations. Note that not all reservations are from the US so everyone might be available for the tax credit at 100%. Here in Canada we got over 40,000 reservations so it's looking good for you guys.

Thanks for the reminder, but why do you think so ?

Elon said on the call Tesla have made production hires that will be announced. My guess is that he is doing his, now classic, move of taking the lead because "no one else can do it".

If you recall just recently VP of vehicle engineering left as well. Therefore it's not two by three execs.

Last edited:
500,000 cars by 2018... I'm eager to see them do well and expand capacity, but this? Damn.

That is a hell of a lot of work to do, and I know nearly nothing about all the stuff that has to come together to make this possible.

Maybe they should have said 2019 instead of 2018, for some breathing room, but maybe they know things we don't yet. Maybe they bought an east coast manufacturing facility to have a second assembly line running.

Maybe they are really cracking the whip on the suppliers, giving them an all or nothing scenario, and how bad do they want to make lots of money?

We will see, I hope it works out as well as they are predicting.

I think the larger implication for a lot of the buyers is that a: they can plan accordingly and expect to receive a car between 1/1/18 and 1/1/19, and b: that the full tax rebate for US customers could extend to ALL of the queue as it currently stands if they time it right. If not, they could still potentially clear the whole queue at 100% or 50% of the tax rebate.

I'm guessing that alone might cut a significant percentage of the potential cancellations. I'm guessing I'm not the only one that reserved a Model ≡ to try to get that credit before it's gone. Not to say I won't still buy the car if I can't get it, but it's a much harder sell for people who can only barely consider a $35k car, but consider $27,500 manageable.

500,000 cars by 2018... I'm eager to see them do well and expand capacity, but this? Damn.

That is a hell of a lot of work to do, and I know nearly nothing about all the stuff that has to come together to make this possible.

Maybe they should have said 2019 instead of 2018, for some breathing room, but maybe they know things we don't yet. Maybe they bought an east coast manufacturing facility to have a second assembly line running.

Maybe they are really cracking the whip on the suppliers, giving them an all or nothing scenario, and how bad do they want to make lots of money?

We will see, I hope it works out as well as they are predicting.

Elon sets crazy goals - that is by now a well understood aspect of his character. It's better to fail at something totally audacious and land on the shores of awesome... Than to shoot for good and land on mediocre.

2018 Q1 - 50k delivered (West/Central existing Owners + West Preorders + Employees) Full $7,500 credit
Q2 - 75k delivered(East existing Owners + Central Preorders + West Post Orders) Full $7,500 credit
Q3 - 125k delivered(East Preorders + Central Post Orders + International) $3,750 credit
Q4 - 200k delivered (East Post Orders + New Orders) $3.750 credit
450k total delivered

Too high, they max out at 500,000 a year in Fremont in 2018, meaning 125,000 a quarter max. No way they'll do 200,000 in a quarter at Fremont.

I won't comment on accuracy of the phaseout numbers, They may get out Model 3s in Q4, 2017 to offset your overly large Q4 2018 so the rest may be a wash. Depends on when the 200,000 trigger occurs.