Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just been told my P90DL is not eligible for P100D Upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone needs to start an aftermarket business doing battery pack upgrades.
A company already does that. They upgrade Model S 60 to 85. They even adjust the firmware so it shows as 85 on your screen. They get their 85 batteries from cars that where totaled in accidents but the battery didn't get damaged. Last time I saw it it was $18k though. Not exactly cheap.

great idea, where will you be getting your battery packs from?

They are not that hard to obtain, at least here in SoCal. Good number of dismantlers buy the wrecked cars and put the parts up for sale. I'm currently in the hunt for a 100kWh pack to upgrade my 2013 P85 (why not?).

60 and 85 packs are pretty easy to obtain.
90 and 100 packs are a bit harder, but are becoming more common as these cars get into accidents.

Reactions: David99
They are not that hard to obtain, at least here in SoCal. Good number of dismantlers buy the wrecked cars and put the parts up for sale. I'm currently in the hunt for a 100kWh pack to upgrade my 2013 P85 (why not?).

60 and 85 packs are pretty easy to obtain.
90 and 100 packs are a bit harder, but are becoming more common as these cars get into accidents.
how many of these cars are available? 100 or so? let's see your business plan with a supply of a 100 or so

how many of these cars are available? 100 or so? let's see your business plan with a supply of a 100 or so

There are enough so that if someone wants to go through the process (requires a firmware upgrade to the BMS), they are available.

You asked where to get the battery packs from, I told you. You didn't ask for an "endless supply" or even specify a number, but they are certainly available.

There are enough so that if someone wants to go through the process (requires a firmware upgrade to the BMS), they are available.

You asked where to get the battery packs from, I told you. You didn't ask for an "endless supply" or even specify a number, but they are certainly available.
I don't think that you have a grasp on what it is to build a business, what you are describing is a niche business plan, more akin to a weekend hobbyist doing mods than it is to an actual viable business concept.

I don't think that you have a grasp on what it is to build a business, what you are describing is a niche business plan, more akin to a weekend hobbyist doing mods than it is to an actual viable business concept.

ROFL. I am the founder and exec of a thriving 15 year old SME business, but thanks for your concern.

My point: if you want them, the 100 kWh packs are available for people to find and buy. I wasn't talking about the merrits of the business.

The batteries are NOT the rate limiting step here. They are NOT plug and chug, except for the actual hardware swap. They MUST be firmware flashed and mated with the same firmware of the car, or the car will not budge after the pack swap.

You keep "moving the target" about what you are talking about. I didn't mention this as being run for business purposes, I don't offer the service out to anyone, etc. Everything I do with my two Model S's is PURELY as a hobbyist. Not sure what crawled up your . . . and made you want to argue with everyone.

Not sure what you mean.

Did you order before 23 August 2016 and take delivery after 23 August ?

If you so what did they say when you pointed them to the blog post and your order and delivery dates?

Hi BhzMark,

That is correct. I ordered in July and received it September. I have just wrote an email to Tesla through "My Tesla Account Page".

I am now waiting on their response, and I did copy a paragraph from their blog post i.e.

Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and bhzmark
I'm sorry to say this, but I would engage an attorney and go after Tesla. They made a promise to you that was also made in writing to everyone via an announcement, and now they are reneging. Sorry, but that's not how things work. You kept your purchase and did not decline delivery based upon promises that were made to you and thousands of other people.

Apparently Tesla is now one of those companies who needs to be sued to make things right. How sad.

I never took the delivery at the time it was said, I'm pretty certain of that.
Why didn't you take the offer before taking delivery of your car. Now that you have waited until now, what precisely did they say no to: Swap for $10,000 or Swap for $20,000?

There is no way you can get it for $10,000 at this point. Although you should be able to get it for $20,000. But, why would you be willing to pay $20k now by not $10k then? Unless you are thinking you should be able to get it for $10k, which definitely won't happen nor should it.

Same with new laptops. You cannot update the memory or the hard disk drive.

Well only if you buy Apple or ultra-thin notebook. Unless the product is so good, I always go with upgradable laptops if there are such choices. Thank God there are lots of players in laptops, so I go with Thinkpad line (T50). Upgrade many parts from memory to PCIe NVM SSD to hard drives to even newer bluetooth chips and carry extra batteries. Even a 14" MSI gaming laptop at around 2.5lb can upgrade memory and SSD drives (M.2 and 2.5" slots). Stubborn Apple Macbook Pro at 15" won't let you.

Tesla is like Apple and Sony of consumer electronics who are notorious for being proprietary. It's fine for as long as they have no better offerings on the market. As much as I love what Tesla stands for, but the minute there are better offerings (car, AP, superchargers), I will favor more open, non-proprietary products.

Hi guys,

After months of being told I was able to upgrade my P90DL to a P100D, I have just been told it's not possible!!

I ordered my car just before the P100D was announced, and didn't receive my car till after the announcement.

I waited a year for the upgrade and now am told can't do it due to the battery or something along those lines.

To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. Can anyone help?

I was told the same when I was considering to buy a P90DL instead of P100DL in spring this year and ask owner advisor to confirm upgrade path. She checked many sources internally and said 'should be able in the future as there are no firm plan to do it now'. I take that as a 'not for me' since it can be 5 years down the road when they decide to do offer it.

Someone asked Elon the battery upgrade question live 2-3 months back I think, and he said some day absolutely, but definitely tried to use the logic of 'why not just trade-in' since there will be other newer tech in the newer cars.

From business survival point of view, I wouldn't offer upgrade right now as it takes time away from building the future. And there is no secondary market / recycling for swapped out batteries yet. I heard Elon invested/co-founded a battery recycling startup?

I would also wait a year or so and see if larger capacity battery will come out with the newer higher density batteries. Maybe we'll see 110 or 120kw then as more competitors will come out with range in the 300s so I'm sure Tesla will be planning to stay a step ahead...

Why didn't you take the offer before taking delivery of your car. Now that you have waited until now, what precisely did they say no to: Swap for $10,000 or Swap for $20,000?

There is no way you can get it for $10,000 at this point. Although you should be able to get it for $20,000. But, why would you be willing to pay $20k now by not $10k then? Unless you are thinking you should be able to get it for $10k, which definitely won't happen nor should it.

Hi There. I did accept the upgrade at the time and confirmed back to Tesla I would pay the £8,700. It's just now they started the upgrade process they are stating my car is not eligible i.e. Up until a week ago they said I would get the upgrade I agreed to before I received my car.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Oh that's a fair point. I guess I first interpreted the blog post to mean that someone would be able to make the decision to upgrade for $10k after taking delivery -- really anytime. And same with those who already took delivery except for $20k. But it could have meant -- before you take delivery, you have to make the $10k decision.

Ahh and I see the OP did make the request prior to delivery and so he meets the requirements for blog post offer and he accepted the offer prior to taking delivery. I think the OP's case is pretty clear for him to get the upgrade -- just continue to press Telsa on it and emphasize that you are not some late comer and you meet the blog post requirements and accepted the offer and did so initially, even prior to taking delivery.

Reactions: croman
Hi There. I did accept the upgrade at the time and confirmed back to Tesla I would pay the £8,700. It's just now they started the upgrade process they are stating my car is not eligible i.e. Up until a week ago they said I would get the upgrade I agreed to before I received my car.
Yet you accepted delivery of the P90D, which voids the swap for $10,000.

Unless you have something in writing from a Tesla executive stating that they would allow you to accept delivery on the P90D and pay them $10,000 later for a 100KWH battery upgrade, then you have no case. You would have to pay $20,000 if you want the upgrade.

As I said, why didn't you just take the $10,000 offer when it was valid - BEFORE accepting delivery of the P90D? I would have. I accepted delivery of my P90D just 2 weeks before they announced the P100D. I surely wasn't going to pay $20,000, but I would've paid $10,000.

Yet you accepted delivery of the P90D, which voids the swap for $10,000.

Unless you have something in writing from a Tesla executive stating that they would allow you to accept delivery on the P90D and pay them $10,000 later for a 100KWH battery upgrade, then you have no case. You would have to pay $20,000 if you want the upgrade.

As I said, why didn't you just take the $10,000 offer when it was valid - BEFORE accepting delivery of the P90D? I would have. I accepted delivery of my P90D just 2 weeks before they announced the P100D. I surely wasn't going to pay $20,000, but I would've paid $10,000.

I am sorry but you are absolutely wrong here.

Tesla did want you to take delivery immediately, reserve the $10,000 update (which @badboy1980 says they did) and get the upgrade later once Tesla can deliver. That was how it was offered at the time.