Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought a solid black new face S60 from Melbourne centre

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for replies guys. I have replied to their email asking for the 75kw upgrade as it is no cost to them. Shame they decided to email me regarding such a big purchase instead of call too. Maybe they were trying to boost sales figures and wanted as many cars "delivered" as possible. I heard a dealership in the USA was trying to get a guy to fully pay for a 90D that was a few weeks off still so they could log the sale as part of the Q3 earnings. Apparently Elon got involved on it after the guy tweeted him.

The Model S 60 seems like an easy LCT cheat. Buy the 60 and drive it for the required time period and then pay for the upgrade to 75 and avoid the LCT on that incremental cost. Maybe the government doesn't like that and is holding up approval?

Maybe, the government won't have see these kind of upgrades before except on the 70 to 75 tesla upgrade a while ago. The worst bit for me is I feel they should have told me at the point of sale that it wasn't approved in Australia yet, instead I got a call two days later saying there was a slight problem. Not revealing the "slight problem" at the point of sale wasn't entirely honest in my view. Also I was debating with the salesman that I thought perhaps I should wait to buy early in 2017 to have a 2017 registered car for better future resale value. The only reason to go for this one was to get one early without the wait. My good will towards them is evaporating fast.

Thanks for replies guys. I have replied to their email asking for the 75kw upgrade as it is no cost to them. Shame they decided to email me regarding such a big purchase instead of call too. Maybe they were trying to boost sales figures and wanted as many cars "delivered" as possible. I heard a dealership in the USA was trying to get a guy to fully pay for a 90D that was a few weeks off still so they could log the sale as part of the Q3 earnings. Apparently Elon got involved on it after the guy tweeted him.
Any response on the upgrade? Seems like the least they could do and it's a non-cost option for them. Hopefully that would make the car road legal.

Do you know why it needs to be re-certified, there are 'classic' S60's on the roads in Aust and there are new nose S70,85 & 90's so I cannot see why a new S60 need special approval unless they have different seats or something!
Very poor service to sell a car before approval and registration!
Get Tesla to let you 'borrow' a 75 upgrade :), they can degrade it once the 60 is approved.

The worst bit for me is I feel they should have told me at the point of sale that it wasn't approved in Australia yet, instead I got a call two days later saying there was a slight problem. Not revealing the "slight problem" at the point of sale wasn't entirely honest in my view. Also I was debating with the salesman that I thought perhaps I should wait to buy early in 2017 to have a 2017 registered car for better future resale value. The only reason to go for this one was to get one early without the wait. My good will towards them is evaporating fast.
In dealings with Tesla, things do not always work out how you expect. However in my experience they are often willing to look at alternatives. E.g. in my case I ordered a dual charger capable car and got 3/4 of that but the local people did try with manufacturing and offered me alternative inventory vehicles, but I ended up with the new facelifted version which I was good with in the end. We didn't see eye to eye on alignment / tyre warranty but they did lend me 2 new tyres (3 incl spare) actually purchasing them in Perth for me, until the correct ones become available, and who knows how long that will be?

You really have to decide what solution you want, and push for it and escalate if reqd and see how far you can get and what alternatives they come up with. Then work on your own mind to keep the ownership experience positive!
  1. Do you actually want to return the car and order a 2017 one? If so then push them (and escalate) on that front. I would give you some chance of success.
  2. Do you want to wait till the car is road usable? If so then keep nudging them, but also accept your own decision not to push for (1).
(This does not sound all that supportive, but I do mean this in the most supportive way @joninmelbourne ! )

Thanks for the replies guys. Got a "good idea but no" on the free upgrade, not possible apparently. I'd rather get a full refund and reorder for January 1st 2017 now actually. Also being a inventory car it didn't have leather like I would have ordered if it was up to me. I heard this issue discussed on the podcasts; if they never offer discounts than why would anybody buy late in the year when they can have a car that is worth more if they wait a couple of months for the new registration year. If you trade in the car in five years a 2017 will be worth more than a late 2016. Will let you know what happens. Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys. Got a "good idea but no" on the free upgrade, not possible apparently. I'd rather get a full refund and reorder for January 1st 2017 now actually. Also being a inventory car it didn't have leather like I would have ordered if it was up to me. I heard this issue discussed on the podcasts; if they never offer discounts than why would anybody buy late in the year when they can have a car that is worth more if they wait a couple of months for the new registration year. If you trade in the car in five years a 2017 will be worth more than a late 2016. Will let you know what happens. Cheers

Don't be worried too about the interior I heard it holds up better after a few years. Also regarding trading in the car - are you referring to the Tesla Resale Value Guarantee? I don't think the year matters with that as it is based on a % of dollars spent only.

If they're not willing to upgrade what about a swap to an inventory 75? They definitely had one there last week.

I'm confident that in 5 years time a January 2017 compliance model S 60 would be at least $2000 more worth than a Dec 2016 compliance car. Something else to think about is that a high percentage of people will not want to buy a car with a older build date than 4 years because of less finance options and higher finance rates. So I recommend you chose a 4 year lease not a 5 year lease for max resale and best value ownership.

Last edited:
I think most of the used car buying public just look at the year of first registration, in Australia at least not many people are looking at build dates when buying cars. We may as are enthusiasts. A Porsche dealer once told me some of their "new" 911's had build dates of two years ago. So it seems the year of first registration is the most important here. Looking at a 5 year old Mercedes S class they are $10,000+ cheaper than a 4 year old one. So waiting until the new year could mean a used value $10k more if / when you sell.

I think most of the used car buying public just look at the year of first registration, in Australia at least not many people are looking at build dates when buying cars. We may as are enthusiasts. A Porsche dealer once told me some of their "new" 911's had build dates of two years ago. So it seems the year of first registration is the most important here. Looking at a 5 year old Mercedes S class they are $10,000+ cheaper than a 4 year old one. So waiting until the new year could mean a used value $10k more if / when you sell.
My recommendation is not to go for black if you want best possible resale: black can be 5c hotter in the cabin in Summer/ shows all scratches, more difficult to look after, bird droppings eat through or stain black much faster than light colours and a good % of people do not buy black cars at all me included. It's just a bitch to live with when you want your car looking good all the time. Remember having your air con on takes approx. 40km per charge away and with black you will be having it on more often or stronger. Also the model S is such a beautiful car and has beautiful lines. The black just hides the lines. I personally think the model s looks best in pearl white , silver then grey. Also I recommend you tint your windows. I recommend you exchange your order for a 2017 compliance plate car. And get what you want. Believe me black is a bitch and red or blue have worst resale as they are fashion/taste colours. Built date is still important when buying a used luxury car because if the car has a built date 5 years or older the interest rate will be a couple % points higher and most finance companies don't want to lease 5 years or older cars. So you have limited choices. In all you will love the model S it's one of the best cars around.

Ausinator good call, I'm a Science teacher and have just done a lesson on heat absorption and the difference between black and white cars! I showed a clip of the Mythbuster episode when they measured the black car as significantly hotter on a hot day. And being a expat from the UK I really don't like hot cars! But in my current black Saab 9 5 it hasn't seemed such a issue. I guess the a/c would have to work harder. Actually crossed my mind to try and work with Uber Black during school holidays?! For that you need a black car.
I agree teslas look good in white - more futuristic looking. I have decided to give them until next week and then if there is more delays push for a different car for Jan 2017. Actually I am now suspecting they are reading this forum after a couple of things they mentioned seem to answer what I said here! Ah well, hope they are - shows they care!

Reactions: AUSinator
Definitely read in the past that white cars get in the least accidents followed by silver and the worse being black. In my black Saab I drive with headlights on most of the time to be seen. Also motorcyclist wearing a white helmet are least likely to die! In the U.K. White cars get cheaper insurance too, possibly here as well. In addition, panel damage is easier to match on solid colours. I read if you drive a red car in the UK the insurance companies profile you as a "boy racer" (hoon in Aus) especially if quoting on something like Suburu Impreza WRX.

My recommendation is not to go for black if you want best possible resale: black can be 5c hotter in the cabin in Summer/ shows all scratches, more difficult to look after, bird droppings eat through or stain black much faster than light colours and a good % of people do not buy black cars at all me included. It's just a bitch to live with when you want your car looking good all the time. Remember having your air con on takes approx. 40km per charge away and with black you will be having it on more often or stronger. Also the model S is such a beautiful car and has beautiful lines. The black just hides the lines. I personally think the model s looks best in pearl white , silver then grey. Also I recommend you tint your windows. I recommend you exchange your order for a 2017 compliance plate car. And get what you want. Believe me black is a bitch and red or blue have worst resale as they are fashion/taste colours. Built date is still important when buying a used luxury car because if the car has a built date 5 years or older the interest rate will be a couple % points higher and most finance companies don't want to lease 5 years or older cars. So you have limited choices. In all you will love the model S it's one of the best cars around.

You need to do some research on paint (aka clear coat) care and protection. I've owned black cars in the past and as long as you don't neglect the paint for months and months, or years.. it holds up fine. Also scratches - if you wash the car correctly you won't get too many scratches.

You need to do some research on paint (aka clear coat) care and protection. I've owned black cars in the past and as long as you don't neglect the paint for months and months, or years.. it holds up fine. Also scratches - if you wash the car correctly you won't get too many scratches.
Working 8 years in the auto industry I know all about black/dark paint you don't need to take my word just ask any pofessinal auto detailer.