Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View media item 117479
Does anyone else have these yellow dashes on the energy usage display since the upgrade? I had them for the first 10 miles or so and then they went away after I stopped and then restarted the car. I've also noticed decreased regen braking effect (subjective) above 20-30 mph during this time.

I mentioned in a previous post that my wh/mi is much higher than before the new software (you can see the average was 502 wh/mi on the display). I'm wondering if this is all related, but I'm a relative newbie when it comes to this stuff.

View media item 117479
Does anyone else have these yellow dashes on the energy usage display since the upgrade? I had them for the first 10 miles or so and then they went away after I stopped and then restarted the car. I've also noticed decreased regen braking effect (subjective) above 20-30 mph during this time.

I mentioned in a previous post that my wh/mi is much higher than before the new software (you can see the average was 502 wh/mi on the display). I'm wondering if this is all related, but I'm a relative newbie when it comes to this stuff.
ive had them since the .40 update. I was told that it might be a regen failure but like you it goes away after a few miles. hopefully the .42 takes that away

View media item 117479

It is the temperature. The battery needs to be warmed.

If you can, time your charge to finish when you are planning to leave.

Going to have lots of similar posts with winter approaching. New experience for all the newbies.

Going to have lots of similar posts with winter approaching. New experience for all the newbies.

Aha! Thanks! I'm driving to a rural location for work tomorrow--about 50 miles each way. Will be interesting to see how the energy usage changes during the trip.

It boggles my mind that people aren't reading the manual. I read the manual front to back twice while my Tesla was being built. It was the only wait to contain my excitement other than just hitting refresh in this forum. :)

I found a lot of good info in that manual. In fact I may spend some quality time the next few evenings getting familiar with all the changes in the last few updates. Turn up the tunes, turn on the seat heater and biodefense mode ....and relax and learn

Did you range charge (100%) by any chance? It will give you the yellow lines to indicate you have reduced regen. This has always been there. You just don't see/have it when you charge to 90%

I didn't. My car is set to 80% charge most nights. I actually haven't charged it the last two days because my kids greeted me in the driveway when I got home from work and I forgot to plug it in.

I took delivery of the car in the summer and then we had a warm fall that is a complete coincidence and not related to anything bigger going on, so this is the first time I've driven it when the temps have been below 40 F or so... which probably explains why I've never noticed the yellow dashes.

I really dont understand the fuzz about not seeing stoppd cars. In my two year ownership ive never once had a problem with the car not slowing to a halt before stopped cars. Weird
I have had AP since it came out, and only had this problem once:
If you are following a car, and that car quickly leaves the lane and the the cars ahead of it are STOPPED, then the Tesla will not "see" them, and will happily drive into them. I think this has been reported multiple times- The Tesla "sees" cars if they are moving, otherwise they are invisible (apart from AEB).

Had to laugh when I read about this in this thread. So true. We hadn't noticed it before (had car since mid-March) but noticed it a few weeks ago when our early morning temps got into the 40s. Car was outside overnight and not cold enough to even think about preheating. Hubby was carpooling with a co-worker and they both noticed it on the screen that morning and called me to see if I knew anything about it so looked it up in the manual. Good to bring it up here so more people will notice it and understand what it means as far as the regen braking.

For anyone who hasn't seen this and doesn't know what we're talking about, this is what the display looks like. Notice the yellow dashed line and alert on the bottom right.

IMG_4699.JPG

Last edited:
Got 42 only days after getting 40...AP2 and TACC still very stable on the freeway, lane changes very smooth, etc. The one problem that has been consistant for me, despite all the other improvements, is the inability of the car to track straight after a large deviation in the road surface. It usually swerves or over-corrects, and than suddenly disconnects AP2. Seems the camera would stay focused on the road ahead, and not be disturbed much by slight visual angle changes caused by large bumps and cracks in the road, but the sudden tire movement seems to "shake up" AP2 and TACC regardless of the rest of the update improvements.

At what temperature does this become a problem? I noticed this also after the update, and yes it coincided with a drop in temperatures so I wasn't super shocked because I did read the manual, but then, something does seem off...

I usually charge in the parking garage where I work, which has free charging. Yesterday I timed it to stop charging shortly before I left so the battery would be warm. But the yellow lines were still there; outside temp was around 55F, but it was probably warmer than that in the garage. Admittedly, the charger there is only 6kW so maybe it doesn't get the battery very warm.

Overnight last night I parked in my attached garage. It doesn't drop below 60F there. Had the dashed lines this morning. I thought this only happened at much lower temperatures, like 40F or below?

At what temperature does this become a problem? I noticed this also after the update, and yes it coincided with a drop in temperatures so I wasn't super shocked because I did read the manual, but then, something does seem off...

I usually charge in the parking garage where I work, which has free charging. Yesterday I timed it to stop charging shortly before I left so the battery would be warm. But the yellow lines were still there; outside temp was around 55F, but it was probably warmer than that in the garage. Admittedly, the charger there is only 6kW so maybe it doesn't get the battery very warm.

Overnight last night I parked in my attached garage. It doesn't drop below 60F there. Had the dashed lines this morning. I thought this only happened at much lower temperatures, like 40F or below?
Someone else may have better information but the official statement is that below 0 Celsius the battery will not accept a charge. Thus after connecting when the battery is that cold (not outside temperature, but battery temperature) after connecting the BMS will first warm the battery, then begin charging.

Also in cold weather it is wise to end a charge just before setting off so the battery will not require warming from it’s own charge and also preheat the cabin using the external connection.

Another point, it’s good to keep the car connected to a charger as much as possible when the weather is cold and preheat the cabin before disconnecting. Even a level 1 outlet helps accomplish that.

Although this only becomes an immediate issue below 0 C it is good to follow those habits any time the weather is cold enough to require winter clothing.

FWIW, pre cooling when the weather is very hot is also nice, although not so material as it is when cold.