Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just saw two Tesla's in a crash... One new without plates!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it a bit concerning that the rear wheel came off? I mean who knows exactly how hard the impact was, but should rear wheels be popping off like that?
_47654521_buemi.jpg

So we are saying the White Tesla viciously "popped off" (or "broke off") the Black Tesla for just being parked on the side of the road? :p
No. Not saying that at all. I think the black car was sitting there minding its own business, the white car was driving by doing nothing wrong. The black car got mad because it didn't have plates yet, so it picked up its rear tire and threw it at the front of the white car. It's obvious that's what happened. It's a new feature with the .19 update. Tire launch mode.:)

PCH in Redondo Beach is awful. The right lane is parking lane during off-peak hours. Some cars cruise on right lane because there's usually less car but they'll have to cut to the next lane if they encounter a stopped/parked car. I am not saying that's the case here but it could be something like that that happened.

Glad I don't have to drive on PCH any more for work commute. I always hated it.

Wait until the press get's ahold of this one. I can see the headline now

BAN ALL TESLAS
Ahh, good ol' Consumer Reports eh. Why do they exist in the age of the internet review ? I don't even think of them for a blender or toaster oven these days and they've never been good at auto journalism if you ask me.

They gave a "103 out of 100" rating, ignoring basic math and science, for the Model S but then called for Autopilot to be turned off to get into the headlines. Their demand for a total ban is just around the corner now that we know they can actually hit each other.

PCH in Redondo Beach is awful. The right lane is parking lane during off-peak hours. Some cars cruise on right lane because there's usually less car but they'll have to cut to the next lane if they encounter a stopped/parked car. I am not saying that's the case here but it could be something like that that happened.

Glad I don't have to drive on PCH any more for work commute. I always hated it.
Yup. I think you nailed it. Whether Redondo, Hollywood, or all over parts of LA, the right lane goes from parking to driving based on morning/evening commute schedules.

So if you get to be first in line on the far right at an intersection you either try for the hole shot (usually easy in a Tesla) by blasting across the intersection and cutting over before the line of parked cars that resumes on the other side. The white Tesla may have been doing that and just missed the squeeze.

Of course since this is LA, it is not wide open ahead of you, all three lanes on the other side of the intersection may be (always are) filled, so you accelerate hard, cut to avoid the car parked in the right lane and brake to not rear end the car one lane over.

The Tesla was practically made for this, but that's stating the obvious.

Um... where on PCH in Redondo does it do that travel lane to parking lane thing? There's a small section past Herondo/190th, but that's Hermosa Beach.

Did anyone happen to notice the cross street with PCH as they were driving by?

There are some godawful roads/traffic patterns in Redondo now, thanks primarily to weak leadership on the part of the District 2 councilman (where the harbor is), but PCH, aside from the repetitive half-lane shifts through the south end of town, has been unchanged for awhile.

Bad day for all parties concerned; what a shame and hopefully nobody was hurt - soft tissue injuries or otherwise.