Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep my only remaining gas car as backup for earthquakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're worried about earthquakes, why are you living in SF?

It's not as bad as you think. It's like an amusement park ride. They built much of the city on sand or clay? that turns liquid when put under stress, so it's like surfing on pavement. Most other cities could absorb a bigger hit without making the papers, but in SF, it's all about fun. You can actually 'sidewall surf' and get pictures of it the next day, just like Six Flags.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and dhrivnak
I am in San Francisco area.
As am I. I did what @Saghost suggests.
If your living situation supports it, buy solar panels and a Powerwall instead of keeping the gas car.
Of course in a 9.0+ quake that is within 50 miles of me. many roads in my area may be impassable and my house may fall down my panels won't do me much good. But in a lesser quake my solar will likely continue to function and local roads will be driveable. So my solar system will power my fridge and some lights and circuits and I will be able to partially charge at least one of my Teslas during the day unless there is a lot of cloud cover.

Reactions: dhrivnak
In a 9.0 earthquake most everyone will be walking. Roads will be mostly impassible, power will be out, fires will be burning, phones won't work, gas stations will be closed. Emergency vehicles might be the only vehicles allowed on the roads.

Best thing might be a small motorcycle.

I am keeping my old Mercedes as a backup to my Tesla, but mostly it just sits in the garage, gathering dust.

Also, you know it takes electricity to run gas pumps. Those tanks are below ground level, locked. Your MS would probably make it to an area with power, where you could plug in.

9.0? Probably not. Most noticeable quakes are just a news item. Where I live, there are 35 quakes a week. Never (well, hardly ever) feel them. Buildings do not fall down. Worst quake I've had here in the last dozen years cracked a piece of drywall, and was so minor I've never fixed it. Napa Valley is about 100 miles straight north of SF.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I am in San Francisco area. My wife drives a Model X and I am thinking of selling my BMW 335 and get a CPO Model S. But one concern is if all our cars are EVs, what if electricity went out during a major disaster like an earthquake or war. Will it be more disaster-proof if we have both types of cars and choose whichever energy source (electricity vs gas) that is the most available in those hard times? That's why I am thinking of keeping the BMW as a backup car.
What are your thoughts on this?
Buy five Jerry Cans, fill them and store them safely outside your home. Keep the ICE with full tank. Load the Jerry Cans and head out. You can make it to Denver under almost any circumstances.

After the Japan earthquake / tsunami, most of the relief vehicles were electric. Gasoline supplies were disrupted, but electricity was reestablished in the disaster zone fairly quickly.

When we had the east coast blackout here a some years ago, I had little gas in the car, and couldn't buy any because the gas stations ran on electricity. When limited power came back there were huge lineups.

EV is actually better in a disaster.

After the Japan earthquake / tsunami, most of the relief vehicles were electric. Gasoline supplies were disrupted, but electricity was reestablished in the disaster zone fairly quickly.

When we had the east coast blackout here a some years ago, I had little gas in the car, and couldn't buy any because the gas stations ran on electricity. When limited power came back there were huge lineups.

EV is actually better in a disaster.

I read about that. Before all the neighborhoods got power back, the relief efforts were using EVs and charging them at a few locations adjacent to substations that the power company restored the first day I believe.

Much easier than trucking in enough gasoline/diesel to power them all - and if they had a situation where restoring power wasn't easier for some bizarre reason, they could always bring in a couple of big diesel generator trailers to charge the EVs in the mean time and ship in diesel for them.

In the NE during hurricane Sandy, gas and diesel deliveries were definitely impacted. Electricity was out as well. In this case the immediate was easier with gas supply as you were able to stockpile it. This only lasted a couple hours before lines formed and supplies dwindled. Going further inland allowed you to transport gas back though.

The only thing still working was natural gas, but that would not be an option in a severe earthquake.

With that said, worst case you can always generate or harvest electricity in a number of different ways. (Able to grab a charge from solar, gas generator, diesel generator, natural gas generator) Granted not necessarily the quickest, but it's possible. I'm not a gasoline expert, but I don't think I'd be able generate or create gasoline on my own. I could scavenge, but so can everyone else. And gas deteriorates quickly as well.

With that said, worst case you can always generate or harvest electricity in a number of different ways. (Able to grab a charge from solar, gas generator, diesel generator, natural gas generator) Granted not necessarily the quickest, but it's possible. I'm not a gasoline expert, but I don't think I'd be able generate or create gasoline on my own. I could scavenge, but so can everyone else. And gas deteriorates quickly as well.

With the right equipment, you can make your own (bio) diesel from any number of oils you might come across - but it's neither as easy nor as simple as the options for getting electricity, in addition to being a somewhat messy process that's easily screwed up if you aren't paying attention. Diesel/Biodiesel also lasts a lot longer, as long as there's no free water for algae to grow in.

The EV is still a better bet, especially if this is something you're worried about ahead of time - with a little investment you can guarantee a power supply for the EV in pretty much any conditions, unlike the others and without having a messy, flammable stockpile somewhere.

I suspect it would be less expensive in the long run to get a whole house generator with dual fuel (natural gas/propane) than it would be to keep and maintain an ICE. Propane is the most readily available fuel in disasters, but it's expensive for regular use, so that's why the dual fuel.

I suspect it would be less expensive in the long run to get a whole house generator with dual fuel (natural gas/propane) than it would be to keep and maintain an ICE. Propane is the most readily available fuel in disasters, but it's expensive for regular use, so that's why the dual fuel.

Good news: Propane keeps forever, and the tanks will last a long time is not cycled or exposed to corrosion.

Bad news: The odorizer in propane degrades fairly quickly, so you won't smell leaks of old propane - make sure any long term storage is in a well ventilated area.

From what I understand, modern whole house generators will start themselves periodically for routine maintenance, and will notify by internet/email if they have any issues or need service.

Not a great option for me since there's no Natural Gas in my neighborhood, but it might be a good alternative if solar isn't practical but you own the house (I think the generator typically costs about the same as the Powerwall...)

The Model S was part of my long-term glamping/glam-prepping strategy. Once the house is paid for in the next year or so I'm going to be looking at solar and power storage (I wish there were guys like wk057 that would help folks build similar systems from salvaged packs.) I already have a 10KW generator that can backfed the panel at 50A. Runs pretty much the whole house with no problem. Wouldn't mind exploring the multi-fuel option as it currently only runs on gasoline. Life goal is add a Model Y when they become available and half a good diesel pickup (mega-prep would be a deuce and a half but realistically an F250 would do) for hauling/towing... 2009 Polaris Ranger 4x4 for the deep woods/hunting and retrieving firewood. Might pick up a couple on/off road motorcycles or bikes if I can find them cheap for SHTF and roads are blocked. Always good to have options, or options for a barter. 19T+ in debt and counting. End The Fed. This isn't leaving in fear... it's peace of mind... and it's fun. Start a garden. Get some egg chickens or a small beekeeping setup. Small aquaponics rigs can be made for cheap and run entirely solar... tilapia and veggies yum! Learn how to preserve food with canning and dehydration. Learn how to hunt. Be comfortable with the steel and teach your family to as well (for self-defense only of course).. In emergency situations the police/government are NOT going to be reliable. Only you can protect yourself and those you love. Network with like-minded folks, have plans for situations... practice those plans. teach/help others and build your community. With a strong network and skills you can thrive in any situation and possibly even have excess resources to help others who couldn't help themselves

Last edited:
Reactions: caltechkid
What a world we live in...
I think it's wasteful and unnecessary to own a gas car you never need.
And if parking lots are an issue, get a Smart ED like me!
And if EMP is an issue, you're screwed with any car, they're all computers on wheels.
And if you're concerned someone would steal your bike from you while riding back with candy bars, I have no words...just this pic:

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric